Safe Network Dev Update - February 11, 2021

feat: use terraform by joshuef · Pull Request #16 · maidsafe/sn_testnet_tool · GitHub not merged yet, but that’s your code. No keys there (just PK fingerprint IDs from DO; which you’d want to change for your own use)

The readme has been updated there, but if you think it’s missing something or is confusing, PRs are always super welcome :+1:

10 Likes

That’s the closest to a timeline I have seen in 3 and a half years. Don’t tell me you are getting soft David :smile:

9 Likes

Well, perhaps more mellow now there’s no in house high level disagreements :wink: Things moving nice and fast now with common goals. So it gives me confidence, however there are always bugs/niggles and plain mistakes. Common vision now though, so much better.

18 Likes

Remember! We got “present coming before Christmas” last year too! :smile:

9 Likes

Well, maybe the Maidsafe team believes that Christmas should be in the summer, sooooo… :wink:

4 Likes

every day (after launch :smiley: :smiley: )

15 Likes

Yes, this is a team of Superheroes in my eyes.

I get that for those awesome people here who support MAID and have no DEV experience, are sometimes confused and impatient, and are looking for timelines, I get that.

And yet, they still understand the importance of the network, and they still hang around here, and support it, which I also think is a superhuman skill, after so long.

But for my part, being a virtual reality App creator, I understand that developing software isn’t even done with baby steps. It is done, if you use blueprints in UE4, one, tiny event tick at a time, so to speak.

I just spent 3 days figuring out Ragdoll constraint orientation on a custom mesh, one bone at a time, and it’s still not right. VR creation is just a lot of fun calculating 3D vectors and traces, collisions, and dynamic object overlaps and such; honestly its complexity can be put into just a handful of widgets. These superheroes are creating a complexity that will reach out into the world autonomously, where none of us know where it may take us.

So thanks for sticking around, one event tick, or line of code at a time. Cheers!

17 Likes

You should be proud @maidsafe although github commits aren’t a guarantee of a projects progress (could be faked technically) in your case, especially given the transparency via the weekly dev updates, we know progress is better than ever.

Let’s get the retweets up folks. Cover more digital landscape.

17 Likes

Glad to hear your perspective, hopefully all developers semi-agree we are talking weeks here. Looking forward to more progress. When on the cusp of a release better to delay it till all ducks are in a row rather than force out half baked something that won’t impress. General public is brutal critiquing things. Don’t want the crypto twitter folks all over yall with some super easy to spot bug or hacky flawed logic just because there was a push to release quickly.

14 Likes

I prefer quality and that’s exactly what they are focusing on. Great work MaidSafe Devs, and also the marketing team and mods, everyone who feels they are contributing positivity, keep doing your awesome job!

To me it sounds like the testnet will skip alpha and straight to a full beta test network. Atleast it sounds like that if we pass this testnetwork there will be a fully working basis for the realnetwork soon to follow.

I will try to write some walk throughs for building boiler plate HTML sites, React and also try to clear up some of the steps that were discussed on youtube for building an electron app with the back then safe_nodejs liberary (now sn_nodejs?)

If we have some good mock setups available so that web/mobile devs can start building with the latest sn_packages the uploading and migration to a live/test network will be faster and more comprehensive.

24 Likes

I like all three of these memes exactly equally. Which is your favorite? :racehorse:

In this version the hexagon answers.

And here is another answer.

8 Likes

Thanks. I see the size you are using is 4vCPU and 8gb ram. Are you running multiple vaults per instance or is this the resources you need to run a vault?

3 Likes

That would be phenomenally amazing!! :smile:

11 Likes

Wooohooooo :relaxed:

3 Likes

No reason for that actually, we can probably handle much smaller sizes, but chasing down mem bugs we went big to allow monitoring and logging (logging is resource hungry)

4 Likes

I imagine it’s true for many people, but I personally would be very excited about those walkthroughs, excellent idea @DeusNexus go for it

4 Likes

Is that Pine scent?

1 Like

What freedom-concious crypto broker do you folks like best? I want to get some of these Maid coins or whatever they are. I feel you folks might have the magic sauce from what I have read so far. My big concern for humanity right now is all these evil govs and corps taking over the net. Safe seems like an antidote that has legs.

I have signed up for the regular account and dev forum… Been doing some reading. I might have missed it but one thing that I would like to see is a 5 min video that explains Safe in a nutshell. I think I might get it but a video would really nail it down. And the fact that I haven’t seen the video yet if it exists, maybe we should put a big button on new users’ pages that says “Watch this overview video” and make it a required step in the circle of trust process?

I know you guys probably have a video already, and if so I will go back and look through all these pages to find it, but that’s my point.

Also, a second in-your-facd link to a quick video for when you sign up for the dev forum, a quick how to get started. I would like to download some code right now and run it and see it do something cool that illistrates a cool capability of Safe, and also so I can get a feel for how I might get started contributing in some way, even if just in QA or docs.

Something super simple like :
Npm install safe

And boom it installs and runs something. Maybe it probes the net and gives a status of nodes or networks found or something lively and cool to that effect. (Sorry, not sure if that would be a fitting demo but you get the point)

One other question I had while reading things today is “Why Rust?” I have never used it but just curious. I’m sure it’s another thing answered in the docs somewhere.

Safe seems pretty exciting, looking forward to reading and leaning more.

12 Likes

For recent videos

And this is an oldie but a goodie, still relevant
https://invidiou.site/watch?v=RdGH40oUVDY

As for a How-To video, you can find some of those on MaidSafe YouTube channel but I think they are out of date as the project has moved on since then. There’s no live testnet at the moment but you can install a local network (called Baby Fleming) following these instructions:

https://github.com/maidsafe/sn_api/blob/master/sn_cli/README.md

Rust is a modern memory-safe language that many people think will replace C++ over time. Pretty much all the big players - Microsoft, Amazon etc - are pitching in and refactoring code in Rust now.
Again, old topic but still relevant:

13 Likes

Great job again!

Also, I like it when you tell us about the challenges in a bit more detailed way, like in this update. It is just interesting to read it.

Regarding the speed of work - it is what it is. It’s quite clear that people are working at the pace they can, and things take the time they take. I don’t have anything to complain about that per se.

But maybe it would be better not to give any kind of predictions. I am already waiting the next steps like child waiting Santa on a Christmas eve, and these predictions just add unnecessary intensity to that anxiety. (BTW, thanks @StephenC for letting us off the hook in the Pre-Dev Update thread, I really appreciate that.) Then that anxiety turns into frustration, that is not always expressed in a most constructive way here in this forum.

It seems to me, that sometimes team strives to meet the goal of releasing something in ways that are not the most productive. Like working in somewhat opposing directions of including or excluding the rewards in the next public testnet. It seems to me they do that in order to meet external expectations, rather than for reasons based on the demands of functioning network in itself.

On the other hand I think that having somekind of intermediary steps - like network without rewards for example - might be a good idea, because it would create more structure in the process and possibly some room for the team to catch their breath after achieving something. Now it seems that the process of developing is a bit of a formless being, which might be difficult to be in. But then again, I don’t know if you can give a form to process that is going into uncharted terrain? How to know in advance what place is good to stop?

When I hear something like this:

… what does it mean? To me “weeks” = maybe about 2-6 weeks. 8 weeks would be on the low end of “months”. On the other hand less than “weeks” = “days” = “one week or less”. So I’m waiting it to happen next week. If it doesn’t, then surely it happens in the week after that. And if it doesn’t happen by then, I’m starting to get a bit pissed off :yum: And all that while I would be more OK for the process to take it’s time, even though I’m not OK for it to not to meet the predictions.

But this is just me, I don’t know how others read this.

Anyway, I wish that the team can achieve some kind of peace of mind in the midst of this all, some kind of armour against the pressure from us.

On completetly different note: Yes, it is really great to see the community engaging with the core code more and more!

8 Likes