SAFE Network Dev Update - December 5, 2019

Keep on marching. Probably no Fleming Christmas present, but maybe 2020 can be the year for some serious takeoff in deliveries and milestones knocking out one by one.

Also looking forward to when we get to do another community test run of something, much like when we did that crust connection test and you had that UI to look at results. Maybe that can be reproduced come flemming time and junk data can be passed between nodes and multi sections and consensus reached via parsec with lots of debug logs and things saved in the UI to help yall triage any potential edge cases/issues that arise from a larger scale test.

12 Likes

I’ve been reeading “beta” and MVP/MVE in here. Not to mention you dropped something about releasing vaults etc. So does this all mean we’re getting close to a beta release/launch date of some kind? A workable SAFE network of some kind? That would kind of be an awesome Christmas present and a good way to start off 2020.

3 Likes

We are still following the roadmap. vaults phase 2/3/4 → Fleming → Maxwell → Beta .We are targeting phase 2 right now. Big difference is we are using 100% production code in these phases where possible. Rather than small projects with mock code to mock remaining work we are putting all code in place and iterate the full vault codebase. Doing that decreases periods between releases as we are not coding side streets to then remove them.

In essence,
Phase 2a : we will have a small section of only elders (a few nodes) and test that.
phase 2b : We will then add more nodes to create a large section.
phase 3: Add farming algorithm (this may happen in parallel with above)
phase 4: Add more nodes to allow the network to split (sharding)

All that works, we have Fleming.
Add in upgrades and possibly async/await code and we have Maxwell.
all that works, we are in Beta :wink:

46 Likes

Thanks, David. That really sums it up.

10 Likes

I apologize if this is on a roadmap, I certainly got confused by some of the name changes and such. Does safecoin get implemented before beta or in congruence with it? Thank you.

So there are essentially 4 major tests left before the network hits beta. Awesome. From what I understand most of the elder node code is already in place so getting those up shouldn’t take too long right? Just trying to guess at an ETA here and yeah I know slow and steady wins the race but can’t help but be eager to get a real live SAFE network.

I suspect that there will be a test safecoin in Maxwell … and then real one in beta. It won’t be a full network without a real safecoin.

Me too! But I won’t hold my breath. I don’t want to be a downer, but suspect Maxwell will take some time for testing as everyone will want to make sure the network is solid before launching with real safecoin – or whatever the new coin of the realm will be called.

1 Like

We already have a test safecoin on the shared vault. I’ve sent coins back and forth to people. This should come for free with Fleming.

What we don’t have is farming yet, but that is on the Fleming to do list.

12 Likes

Thnx for the great update Maidsafe devs,

Just some feedback… I like the cutting edge, but not all users might be equipped for it…

I have doubts if the real world users will always have the latest version of mobile OS…

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Thnx again for all your hard work
:stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I just hope the Safenetwork will not end up as project Xanadu of Ted Nelson that kept on polishing their product and never actually released it. Then came along Tim and released his web even though it was not perfect, it eventually won the race.

2 Likes

The thing is nothing out there is secure. As much as is possible, this needs to be pretty spot on before public release or there is no point

5 Likes

they are stuck in routing, Irvine has no clue what to do next ?

Nothing is stuck, things just take time, stop the fud.

3 Likes

12 posts were split to a new topic: About memento72’s aunt not working at Maidsafe

Same poor grammar and nasty tone of a certain other troll who posts here. Funny that!

2 Likes

It is coming… It is coming…

3 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Filecoin vs safe network

As promised, here is more of the detail on the Minimum Viable Experience:

8 Likes

Lots of it already complete, we all like green charts.

9 Likes

Thank you for the heavy work team MaidSafe! You are the light at the end of the tunnel for the whole world!

I add the translation into Bulgarian in the first post :dragon:
https://safenetwork.bg/safe-network-новини-5-12-2019/

10 Likes