Safe Network Dev Update - December 17, 2020

Tight lines!!!

I wish I could go fishing.

2 Likes

Lines are for amateurs. I only use nets.

3 Likes

Last time I used a net, me and my mate got fined £200 in Portree, Isle of Skye. Some folk take a dim view of you flinging a net across the mouth of a salmon river just after dusk - Spoilsports.

3 Likes

Recommended method is via rustup because it manages all rust versions (stable, nightly or past ones) and allow to switch between them easily. It also manages additional components (rls, clippy, …). It also makes cross-compilation simpler.

Current version is 1.48.0 and I am afraid that with apt-get you get an old version. You can check installed version with rustc --version command.

5 Likes

sascha@Knut:~$ rustc --version
rustc 1.43.0

1 Like

It is also trivial to update when you need it with the command rustup update.

I generally prefer using my distribution’s repositories, but Rust is just so easy to use there aren’t many downsides to using the recommended way, and there are some significant downsides to not using the recommended way.

So I would also recommend using the officially recommended way.

7 Likes

Very much so

rustup is a good tool with few hassles. I just upgraded there from 1.43 to 1.48 myself and all the components are in the right place with one command in under a minute

4 Likes

You can try to compile it with that though, maybe it’ll work, easy to try. Go into the project folder and do cargo run (cargo run --release for better performance), unless there’s some extra flags needed, but probably not. If it doesn’t work it won’t work. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey @happybeing vdash looks great! One suggestion so far though might be to move the percentages of data types stored to the left of the bars so they don’t get covered. Not sure how easy it is to do such adjustments.
Also vdash itself still says’Vault’ where perhaps it should now say ‘Safe’?
Great to get some visuals and seeing the log scrolling below. Very cool

10 Likes

Can anyone throw some clarify on what all needs fixing up before we can go from the soft play around test to the real deal test net? Basically how many bugs are we currently looking at, and I suppose the official test net will warrant a whole dedicated post next week if we get there (to explain all steps in detail needed to test this and do a good community test net). Hopefully something dropped outside of the typical Thursday dev update just whenever its ready.

2 Likes

Just to add it’s working now on another VM (Fedora in QubesOS). The error happened on a Debian VM in QubesOS, which may well have its own peculiarities not found in standard Debian.

3 Likes

Glad you like it Nick, please can you point to exactly where this is.

For the other suggestion, please can you open an issue so the feedback won’t get lost.

2 Likes

Next time most certainly.
‘Vault’ circled in green. It’s not any outputs just the display/dash labeling itself.

1 Like

Ah, you’re looking at the screenshot on the repo, I thought you were running the updated app:

5 Likes

Oh! No, haven’t had the time unfortunately. Sorry to get you confused for nothing Mark!

2 Likes

No problem. I’m not in a hurry to update the gif, I’ll wait in case there are other changes but its always worth pointing these things out.

2 Likes

Working here Mark, at least for the local-node. It doesn’t seem to be tracking the baby fleming nodes though, as far as I can tell.

2 Likes

Noticing that on repeated syncs of a local ‘to-upload’ folder and a container after adding or deleting files the process gets slower and the CPU fan starts whirring more loudly. Are there logs I could helpfully share?

1 Like

I take it this is Windows?

If it is not picking up the logs:

• please show me the full command line you are using to start vdash
  • just to confirm: you are not seeing any logfile output in the bottom portion of the vdash screen?
  • does this happen if you delete the old restart the nodes logs?
  • can you try with the --ignore-existing flag (see vdash --help if curious). Probably won’t help if you have already deleted the logs.

As a second test, please also try with logtail which is like vdash, but doesn’t try parsing the logs, it will just show the logfile output.

Thanks for trying it out!

1 Like

Ah my mistake - I had a hyphen instead of an underscore in the file name! As you were…

4 Likes