Safe Network Dev Update - December 17, 2020

ok - are those files updated today, or perhaps from a previous testnet?
EDIT - Actually they must be from today, otherwise it would be under vault not node.

4 Likes

I removed .safe and re installed every thing from scratch. let me try it again.

3 Likes

Try installing via the install script rather than building yourself
curl -so- https://sn-api.s3.amazonaws.com/install.sh | bash

Then make sure you install the node & auth via the newly installed CLI
safe auth install
safe node install

3 Likes

BTW, I had to clear stale test net files. I’d recommend wiping your safe path directory and starting cleanly. That worked well for me.

7 Likes

I’ll add that to the OP :+1:

4 Likes

Never mind. it works thank you very much!

7 Likes

Wow just wow, thx for the Testnet Maidsafe devs :partying_face: :+1:

Super exited to see how it all works

Cheers everyone and have fun :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

Congratulations, team @maidsafe ! Heck of a job! It was really exciting to follow your work on Github last night - well the whole last week to be honest. If you happen to have stiff neck, headaches etc. this morning, it might be my breath giving uncomfortable breeze on your necks. Sorry for that, it is just impossible to stay further away from the very interesting thing you are building somewhere out there.

Also really great to see skilled community members starting to get a go with the Network! I will personally wait for the public one. And in that one, I am especially waiting for the first section split happening. Somehow that is a real milestone to me. Next one is first elder from outside the droplets, I guess. Who will that be?

12 Likes

The next one will be us killing our droplets, that cannot happen soon enough IMO. Not too soon, but something I will cherish.

18 Likes

Do I understand it right, that these droplets are used to kind of “pull it all up” and when enough “outsiders” are involved the “first circle” is killed and it is running by machines people have wherever they happen to be?

I was thinking that you need to have your own little Island in the Network in order to see how things are happening, having some kind of X-ray vision in to the inner workings etc. But no?

3 Likes

Yes, we will also start up additional nodes after the first splits have happened. However the initial nodes should probably die. They help initially but node age etc. means as the network grows it’s sybil resistant and the initial nodes have done their job.

Something we need to provide is auditability of the section wallets so we can all see the initial nodes did not earn. Not much work on that yet, probably though we will have nodes in control of the first 2/3 splits then drop these out. I can see a rule that no rewards to nodes/Edlers? happens until we have 4 or more sections.

15 Likes

OK, thanks for explaining.

By the way, would it be possible to have nodes in virtual machines inside other virtual machines, and would it offer any benefit in analyzing how the network works? Would it be possible attack somehow?

3 Likes

Exciting moment!

4 Likes

Yes it should be possible, but obviously NAT traversal and resource issues are likely there.

I don’t think it would help us much really.

5 Likes

This prompted me to google NAT traversal, as I have been wondering why the hell it is so difficult for you to set these connections? You know, “my internets always works very well!” Well, the Wikipedia article explains it quite well for a non-techie too, just in case someone else has been wondering this too:

Network address translation technologies are not standardized. As a result, the methods used for NAT traversal are often proprietary and poorly documented.

2 Likes

This works now - thanks!

11 Likes

Missed that oops. Thanks

3 Likes

Looking good @StephenC - it seems to JustWork so far - thank you

5 Likes

Yes this is important
I totally cleaned out my ~/projects/maidsafe/safe-cli directory and deleted everything under ~/.safe
Disk space is a lot healthier now too, I had a shitload of old vault logs from a few months back

3 Likes

As someone with no experience installing scripts (except the last tests where it took a bit of pulling my hair out to install the script - and I had since forgotten what I did)

This little bit of additional info, that may seem obvious to others has made a world of difference!!!

3 Likes