Safe Network Dev Update - August 27, 2020

Cool work and also the UI/UX!

13 Likes

Thanks David,

Just to clarify, I was meaning ā€˜connectionā€™ in the way I thought it was used in the OP - the client has only two connections, one of which is used for notifications, so it would appear the client canā€™t simultaneously retrieve chunks from vaults B, C, and D (in this case.)

When you say Iā€™m almost understanding correctly, I wonder if perhaps you mean the waiting time (the green in the waterfall) can be condensed to be happening at the same time??

3 Likes

It should be hopefully as parallel as possible, not exactly though as you will know.

7 Likes

If user signs same operation, roughly same time towards two different network sections, how does that resolve?

2 Likes

The data is only in 1 section so that would be 2 data items.

[edit So a linked transaction can work like this (payments)

1. User sends payment request to own section with a data mutation.
  2. Own section takes payment and co-signs the op.
  3. If payment success then op is forwarded to data section (may be same section)
  4. Data section gathers the sigs from payment section and performs the op on the data. (client can confirm op works locally as it is crdt and will merge at any time)
    ]
10 Likes

So, the balance on an account is held in one placeā€¦ and copies elsewhere?

3 Likes

A balance woudl only exist in 1 section, but multiple computers ofc.

13 Likes

@david-beinn, the above isnā€™t meant to imply the client uses only two connections, but at least two and that per elder. Always one connection open for listening, and then other connections are created each time we query for data at any elder. This could be one or one hundred.

Thereā€™s no hard limit on how many we can make here. Just practical limits. One per message per elder per query is what you should probably be concerned about for a browser eg. (The ā€œlistenā€ connection we have is used for network events, which is related to payments / write operations).

Waiting for this quorum is almost certainly going to be a longer request than just one request. But, you are more sure of the data being returnedā€¦ (This could well be configurable for apps in the end.)

In practical terms, none of this should have any significant impact on the browser requests for safe. Waiting for quorum will increase request time somewhat, but thereā€™s no real numbers on how much at the moā€¦ Though Iā€™d imagine it wonā€™t be that significant.

And the browser itself does itā€™s own parallelism (as per your first pic), which should not be affected at all by any of this. Each browser request can happen in parallel, within the browser, and each of those SAFE requests will be happening in parallel to all elders.

I hope that helps somewhat!

15 Likes

Nice, pythonic! And tabs not spaces right?:cowboy_hat_face:

9 Likes

Thanks Josh!

That helps a lot actually, Iā€™d totally got the wrong end of the stick, thatā€™s a much more optimistic picture!

4 Likes

You have the makings of a good SAFE Meme about KISs and complexity.

4 Likes

A justified comeback to initial convention.

Initially Maidsafe repos were using underscores like maidsafe_utilities, safe_vault, safe_core ā€¦ but then came safe-client-libs which was the beginning of the inconsistency.

7 Likes

Another comprehensive update , thanks to all involved. Much of interest and @JimCollinson never fails to impress with his clarity of thinking on the UX/UI front.

Off-topic and to settle an argument at Southside Towers is this photo Glencoe looking east on the A82 soutbound or Kintail eastbound on the A87 between Sheil Bridge and Cluanie?

8 Likes

Looks like 2 of the five sisters, but I donā€™t have the inside scoop on this one. Maybe @frabrunelle or @StephenC know, they are the choosers of the image of the week :wink:

2 Likes

Ask @bochaco since he drove past there 2 1/2 years ago

3 Likes

My immediate thought was also Glencoe, but it could be a few places. The pic was actually from an anonymous donor, sent in via @Dimitar so I canā€™t confirm for sure.

6 Likes

In normal times I am on that road past both spots at least once a month. I have not been to Skye this year, nor north of Stirling at all. I feel suffocatedā€¦ but cos I am so used to it and always in a hurry, Im watching the road, no the hills :-), hence my uncertainty.

Edit: cos I am really sad and seriously suffering from the lack of a blast to Skye and back I went on street view

Its Glencoe at the Hidden Valley carpark. So thats that solved :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Amazing progress team! Really like the text driven approach to the actions @JimCollinson :+1:

Edging closer every week. Keep going (all the tiny steps having compounding effects) :chart_with_upwards_trend:

11 Likes

Cheers Mathew, appreciated!

7 Likes

Great to see some UII Great update even if I donā€™t understand most of the tech stuff. Patently waiting for the time I can run a vault from home without a command line in sight :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

14 Likes