SAFE Network Dev Update - August 22, 2019

Cue collective eye roll. :roll_eyes::man_facepalming:t3:

3 Likes

It was our fault to not have it in the dev update, but honestly Fraser will hate his name being spread around and discussed. He is not that kinda guy and for many years has been part of the team. A good friend but he and I disagreed on many things and approaches and that it fine, honesty is better than false agreement. It was a long shift for him and he wanted a change. Fraser leaving was not a surprise to many in the office, he was about the most liked person but also did not conceal his frequent strong disagreements. So to know him you would like him a lot but respect him more for all that.

So not Fraser related but we need to realise there are projects out there with much less pressure and for certain way less public scrutiny. They will pay 4-5 more than we can afford in many cases. So having folk watch your github to complain you take a holiday and so on is not something that makes people comfortable. Many devs do not want to be on the forum either. So we are all different and should celebrate that. The way this thread was hijacked and turned to FUD just makes motivated folk burn out and if they feel on the fence then it pushes them over.

I wish we could be measured on output, but instead the measurement changes from delivery to some nefarious other measure. @anon94252342 you must be rolling about the floor having the laugh of your week chap, but sorry man, I need to get back to work now as we have a network to launch.

27 Likes

Honestly regarding code my only concern is the position of the upgrades module in the sequence of componant implementation. Seems to me that implementing upgrades sooner would allow for people to more quickly begin using the decentralized version of the network.

We could then watch the network evolve as we interact with it. POC comes earlier and stifles the empty ramblings of people like starsmick. We all live happily ever AFTER :wink:

3 Likes

Uhhh, release is inevitable. This is a project of passion for many. Not of profit. You’ve made clear that money is the driving force behind your comments.

4 Likes

I told you previously, do not then download it. Anyway I see you were leaving so off ye go and ask for more transparency from other projects and see where you get to. By the way please continue to do so behind a pseudonym :wink:

I agree, upgrades are super important, you will see self_upgrade is already in the releases of the last few weeks. That will continue to be used in more products as we release them. The Qa team are doing sterling work there and all in parallel. A very nice touch.

Exactly. The key is get the product out there, that is a fully featured network and do that in bits, but quickly. Then everything is simpler, investments, users, on-boarding new Engineers and much more.

18 Likes

The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.

• Dolly Parton
4 Likes

Every good garden needs a compost heap :wink:

13 Likes

I repeat. I’m concerned about the collapse of a great family. Not the delivery of the SAFE network.

3 Likes

It has not collapsed though. Don’t worry as I said I don’t feel there is any bitterness and I don’t think any of those guys would not feel welcome to any devcon, Fraser said he may see us there. So the team move on, it happens all through life, we cannot all stay together forever and should not try. The many new folks in the last 2-3 years is amazing and many of them are unknown on the forum, but recently have made appearances. It is to them we now look, the new guard, the speed freaks, full of energy and enthusiasm and most important of all, delivering the goods. We should not forget them or lessen their value.

We should also realise this is SAFE it is not MaidSafe. SAFE is in safe hands and will continue to be so. Maidsafe is just a target for some folks as it has to be public in many ways, but we chose to be as public as possible. That strength of character leaves us open to FUD. We try to be as transparent as possible. more than most, so what so you see us accused of most? lack of transparency. The world today is weird, black is white an double-think is the new norm.

In saying that, this community are very solid and the people are hugely supportive. I get energy from the community for sure and value the feedback a lot. Look at all the work on safecoin etc. it is amazing.

All of this is about a vision, not a project or company and the vision is a powerful one. We can all get lost in other stuff, but what we need to release for the world is that vision. And we will :wink:

30 Likes

Okay that is obviously a dig dude. I can’t in good conscious believe you actually care about this project when you come off so insulting. Fraser is still on the board of the Maidsafe Foundation, needs to make a living, and I’m pretty sure is still very interested in the success of SAFE. If we’re just going to speculate why not then assume that Fraser is getting a handle on smart contracts to develop an app for SAFE he can launch and profit from himself down the road once it’s live??

13 Likes

Probably because it is personal business for those involved. We don’t know whose choice it was or why. They don’t owe us a career plan or detailed reasons about why. They are entitled to their privacy.

We are aware that there was a change in focus and @dirvine has just reiterated this. When you make a fairly radical shift in delivery approach, some people will no longer be happy with it. This is especially true for those who had valued the previous approach for a long time.

The way I see it, there appears to have been a shift to a delivery focus. This would be less driven by developers and more by product and/or project owners. Some will feel disenfranchised by this and some will feel it adds pressure where previously r&d was less intense.

This is somewhat speculative on my part, but I worked at a company which went through a similar change, after it was acquired by a much larger company. They expected goals and for them to be delivered. Teams were restructured, people brought in above long standing devs, egos were bruised, many left, many new joined. Ultimately, the new regime worked, but many felt they needed to move on. Change is hard, but often necessary.

The results of the change seem, on balance, to be working out very well. There seems to be a real impetus to get this thing over the line. The new guard seem fully bought into the plan too and the new directors are enthusiastic and determined too. It is fantastic to watch!

18 Likes

I value everyone in this community. All devs and non devs. Even the naysayers. Just look at how they bring us all together. They’re the normally harmful blue UV light that strengthens the bonds. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

I have a feeling you won’t leave. We will hear from you next week and the week after. At launch you will be saying OMG David has left. I’m worried, really worried, sell everything. Groannnnnnnnnmnmm

4 Likes

Another theory: Project is nearing the finish line and some employees decided to be preemptive about finding new employment because they sensed not all will be required much longer.

7 Likes

Did you really just complain that people go on holidays? :rofl:

Where I live, that’s what summer is for.

7 Likes

@anon94252342 did you sell your bag just before the spike?

6 Likes

Someone with artistic talents should make a “SAFE Ambassadors vs. SAFE Trolls” fight scene meme for thread endings like this (@Zoki ???). Maybe even with devs shooting github code commits at the opposition? A little laughter goes a long way. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

You dont understand what is important !
I think you need a partner who has a knowledge about software !

Good luck to you.

1 Like

I like this:

1 Like

Could you edit your quote? I think you miss quoted.

1 Like