SAFE Network Dev Update - April 18, 2019

First for first time! time to read…

17 Likes
  1. Is node aging and message relay the last big things needed to be done for routing before testnets?
  2. Any idea how long the Node aging coding should take? days weeks months ?
10 Likes

Great to hear of the Routing progress!

Has there been any more thought about malice detection for if whole sections go bad? Maybe that won’t be a concern for Fleming, but it would be nice to know if it seems theoretically feasible.

9 Likes

I happened to catch me asking myself pretty much the same questions :face_with_monocle: :hugs:

Would be nice to know what is left to be done before being able to participate in a Fleming test :thinking:

(not wanting to increase the pressure - but to me it’s not obvious what would be blocking now anymore…?)

14 Likes

Thanks to all of the team for all of the hard work!

6 Likes

Thanks for the update! Reminds me about one of my first questions here! :slightly_smiling_face:

Nice to see this integrated!

10 Likes

I called it Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious! Ever onward in this grand, great, glorious, splendid, superb, and wonderful network! Great job :+1:

8 Likes

what to call what lol? a title for a tweetstorm of news articles? a title for tweetstorming in general? An account name for tweetstorms?

I liked the NoServers hashtag! I think it’s good because it speaks to relevant issues people that might never have heard of the SAFE network have ideas about. It can be hard to get your own hashtag to gain traction though. I would suggest try to be part of other hashtags that already got some traction and have relevance to what we are doing here. some examples could be: Decentralize, DataServices, FreeTheNet, MyDatMyLife or ControlYourData

5 Likes

Was great getting to know @lionel.faber and his positivity is simply contagious. I couldn’t help but smile watching the interview :smile: as always the magnificent @Cgray really knows how to gently guide through the weekly buzz. I personally quite like the SAFE Buzz and I hope others come to enjoy them as they become aware of the project.

Great news on the new exchange! It really would be great to see some increased trading as price speculation/increase is a huge motivator for people in this space, drives people to the project, to join the community, and spread the good word :wink:

Wooot!!! Probably a nice sigh of relief and feeling of accomplishment on this milestone.

Great work once again @oetyng it’s nice seeing so much activity coming from within the community and also such bright minds joining the forum recently.

22 Likes

Great to see the CLI tools being powered up !
How do you implement a notification requiring intervention on a terminal only machine if the user is “somewhere else” ? Something like wall ? Or does it only happen inside the terminal where the safe_auth resides ?

1 Like

There’s a couple of things here - hashtags that would help to get in front of the right audience on Twitter are one side of it. But also just what we call “The [ X ] Tweetstorm” that we send out every week when we refer to it! We can talk about “the weekly summary of news stories that we send out” but it doesn’t sound too catchy. It’s not a big thing by any means, we’ve got some thoughts - but always like crowdsourcing these things from the community where we have the opportunity! The shorter the better though in both cases given the fact that it’s Twitter.

5 Likes

IMO the best Twitter storms tell a story, like a blog post broken down into its constituent parts. So maybe concentrate on a certain type of news story each week. Week 1 could be privacy, week 2 censorship, week 3 security (easy that one as breaches are a daily occurrence), week 4 developments in the regulatory landscape, week 5 decentralisation, … [repeat]. That would allow us to focus on patterns emerging in particular areas rather than trying to cover the whole privacy-security-freedom picture in a broad-brush way.

9 Likes

@dirvine are you not involved in the routing implementation ? as it seems you also do wounder about the node aging and message relay progres?

Not so much the impl, but proof of concept and design overview, but the routing team are a bunch of talented self motivated Engineers. So I do try and keep away to let them at the details etc.

14 Likes

Do you have any idea when the next alpha public test network will be released? Before this summer would be possible?

It’s just around the corner. Ever seen a Daytona track

1 Like

around the corner of a not yet built track you mean?

Great update Maidsafe devs,

Happy holidays @marcin :sunglasses:

@oetyng :clap::clap::clap:

Please keep the dev vids coming, :clap:SAFEbuzz
#SafeIT

:stuck_out_tongue:

12 Likes

oh ok. maybe the weekly data watch? Or maybe the weekly data owl? Too hairy potter? Hmmm I’ll spend some time thinking on this and report back when I got something golden.

Only in the terminal @nice, we haven’t implemented anything more fancy than just that, for now at least, even if the auth req was received from the webservice you’d get the prompt in the terminal. It’s already merged in master so you can see it functioning already:

13 Likes