SAFE Network concerns from an old employee

In this case you still can’t do a thing. Yes, you fooled someone in a fake network as a client connected over 1 proxy (will be several in the future). So now I’m connected to your false node, whats’next? You still can’t steal my coins, you can’t know my login details. You only prevented me from using SAFE. Not a good thing, but as no private key or log in detail ever leaves my computer not a big deal. Yes, you might see I request chunk “ABC” and maybe look that chunk up in a list. And when I log in to the network you could forward to the real network and provide me my personal files but what’s the purpose of that? You can’t make a dime doing it. it actually cost you money and resources.

Yes, this will be the case. Like 4 proxies into the network. You even end up in the same group using these proxies (relay_nodes). So if 1 real_node is evil it would be exposed quite fast as the other 3 nodes connect you to some client_managers and the evil one is not as it doesn’t have a clue about the network.

You can always bootstrap using the Maidsafe Bootstrap node. Their public key is in the client. And you could create a fake account and become my “close nodes” in a forged network, but that doesn’t mean you have any client info about me. The close nodes in the real network do. They even know I have some Safecoin left to PUT some data. A group of fake nodes can’t know that info.

Even in the current implementation there is a “GetNetworkName (request)”. I’ve seen it come by in my Vault. So again, feel free to do as much POW as you want. But you can’t create or insert your own address in the network and become that address.

This is a whole different discussion and it actually makes my point again of not being able to attack the network with POW :yum:. I started this topic some days ago and it addresses that subject. It’s nothing new as it came up several times already and the devs are thinking about it as well. No surprise as this could be a weakness for SAFE if not addressed. But it get’s addressed.

7 Likes