SAFE Network Chats

This forum is great for having in-depth discussions on subjects related to the SAFE Network. But in some cases, maybe you don’t feel like creating a new topic. For example, you might prefer to first ask your question in a chat room and only create a new topic if necessary.

The #safenetwork:matrix.org room can be used for general discussion about the SAFE Network, and it’s a good place to ask for help. It’s bridged with the @safenetwork Telegram group, the #general channel of the SAFE Network Discord server and the safenetwork/general Gitter room.

The #safenetwork-dev:matrix.org room can be used for technical discussion about the core libraries and APIs of the SAFE Network, and it’s a good place to talk with other developers. It’s bridged with the @safedev Telegram group, the #development channel of the SAFE Network Discord server and the safenetwork/development Gitter room.

The #safemarkets:matrix.org room can be used for discussion about MaidSafeCoin/Safecoin and other cryptocurrency trading chat. It’s bridged with the @maidsafecoin Telegram group and the #trading channel of the SAFE Network Discord server.

Any messages you post in the Matrix rooms mentioned above will automatically show up on Telegram, Discord and Gitter (and vice versa: if other users post messages on Telegram, Discord or Gitter, you will receive them via Matrix).

What is Matrix?

Matrix is an open network for secure decentralized communication. You can run your own homeserver (if you want to control your data). Or you can use any service provider you want (similar to email where you can choose between Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook, etc.).

The Matrix rooms mentioned above are hosted on matrix.org, which is a free homeserver operated by the main developers of Matrix.

What is Riot?

Riot is an open source Matrix client. It’s available on web, desktop and mobile:

Here’s a screenshot of the Riot web app:

What about Slack and IRC?

We used to have bridges between Matrix and Slack but we had to disable them because of spam issues. Same thing for the bridges between Matrix and IRC.

Can anyone invite me to the slack channel?
Is there a Slack channel dedicated to SAFE NETWORK?
Slack channel?
Matrix / Riot / Slack / IRC / freenode

But I assume the slack and IRC channels still exist, even though they’re not bridged, right?

Can we link to those in this OP message?

The Slack channel is deprecated. The form to join it is still available here but there’s not much point in joining it since no one is actively using it (the last message was on August 6).

The IRC channels still exist but no one is actively moderating them and as far as I know, no one is actively using them. The channels are: #safenetwork, #safenetwork-dev and #maidsafecoin on freenode.

I would prefer to use this OP only for chat options that are actively being used by the SAFE Network community. I also think it’s preferable to have these chat options bridged together to avoid splitting the community unnecessarily. We could consider re-adding the IRC bridges at some point if there is demand to do so. Personally, I would recommend people that like to use IRC to give Matrix a try :slightly_smiling_face:

Cool thanks for clarification Francis

The open decentralised communciations network matrix.org has been adopted by France for their secure instant messenger.

This standards based communication project is gaining momentum and could be a good starting place for any Safe Network messaging protocol. Lots of rust code as well.