SAFE Network Brand ID Competition

Blockchain has never had a face but it’s slowly getting one now that mainstream financial institutions (and others) recognize it for what it is and not bitcoin. Safe network is the focus not the coin. Find the best application for safe network and you have the start of a successful campaign.

If you were, and you might well have been… suggesting we use the Safecoin visuals but repurpose them as SAFE… and use them for both the coin and the network…

I could live with that and I certainly think it is worth considering.

There are many ways to measure brand awareness. (Surveys, website traffic, search volume, volume of mentions on social media, etc)

These can generally be measured before, during and after implementation of a branding campaign and can give insight into how well the campaign is progressing and the levels of increased exposure your brand is receiving.

Goals that can be measured can include percentage increases in general awareness, by region, age demographics, etc.

I am not certain if SAFE has a benchmark as of current and a stated level of increase they may be pursuing, but this may be something that can be addressed further as the competition continues…

Another thing that may want to be looked at is will the branding for the SAFE network be business facing or consumer facing? It is hard to market the network to the public as I view it as more of a protocol than a product. I think for the consumer, the product will be the apps running on the network. They may not even know that this is happening as they use an app unless there is some sort of consumer logo or seal that can be given to apps with SAFE as a backend…which may be another idea that can be kicked around…

1 Like

‘Safecoin’ has no network in the name…just like Bitcoin.

Hey, I’m the same…heavily mentally invested in the Safe Network, it only occured to me during this thread about Safecoin as the face of the network.

We’ve been here for over 2 years now, we know a lot about the network and have had some intense discussions and you were passionate enough to pen a piece stating that Safecoin is not the network. Of course we have a passion for the protocol and are somewhat adverse to the greed that discussions around the coin can bring (maidsafecoin ?)

I shocked myself when I started typing about Safecoin as the public facing kind of jest at first, but something clicked…I thought about Bitcoin and the traction it has gained. If your running a business, you’d be mad not to hop on-board of free momentum that drags your business along for the ride.

Bitcoin is an interesting one, the coin and the chain…the banks want to separate the two and it’s not entirely obvious why at first look. When I first learnt about Bitcoin, it is was before blockchain was seen anywhere in discussion, but I did happen across an article stating that Bitcoin is ‘Triple Entry Accounting’ …there’s the clue.

Todays world runs on ‘Double Entry Accounting’ and can be viewd like this:

Triple entry changes everything and it puts the robber barons out of business…cause you cant cook the books, you cant pretend that your loaning money to someone and demand principle + interest. That is why I think the banks are trying desperately to rip bitcoin out of the protocol…it’s a great system for them without the triple entry component.

So in the case of Bitcoin we cannot trivialize the coin aspect of the protocol in relation to the underlying technology. I feel the same way about Safe, it started out without a coin…but i think we can agree, it’s much more boring protocol without Safecoin…it’s a lot more than money/tokens …it’s programmable Safecoin SD for which David hasn’t spilled the beans fully on yet. Once we find out the full potential of Safecoin…I really think it could be the public face of this project.

I’m backing Safecoin…I think her potential has been undersold…your shiny network aint going nowhere without that oil :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That is definitely the reality I think…stick a big funky S on your apps and your done :slight_smile:

3 Likes

But the SAFE Network needs a logo so it can be identified as a whole, too.

I do understand that safecoin will likely be a huge driver of the network. Probably the biggest. But when people start seeing the whole picture and want to talk about all the other need stuff, they’ll need to dig that the SAFE Network really does have its own identity.

I don’t think we’re far off in how we see things. It’s just that this is a SAFE Network Brand ID thread, and I DO think we need to brand the network as well as safecoin.

2 Likes

Here is a sample of the hundreds of conversations I have had over the last couple of years.
“What is that bitcoin stuff you are working on.” Well I’m actually working on project x that will run on The SAFE Network. Then I spend 5-50 minutes (depending on the audience) on how the network runs…they all fall asleep. Sometimes I’ll get how is that any different from TOR, IPFS, I2P, SIA, STORXJ, etc. I always start this way because I know “it” isn’t about the coin…

Then I mention SafeCoin and how it is very different from Bitcoin and they wake up. Then I mention people who contribute resources get paid and people who build apps and get paid directly from the network… no human decides. They always say “how does SafeCoin do that?”. Then they listen to every word I say about the network (exactly what I just told them before).

I agree with @chrisfostertv to seriously consider we already have a great “Brand” out there. I don’t think there will be any committee or artist who can brand the network that connects us all, since it will be used and seen in totally different ways for every person of the world. Although SafeCoin just happens to speak the language every target audience the brand is mentioned for.

Me personally, the SAFE Network isn’t going to be any different from the countless others out there until SafeCoin is working. Not because money is everything…I think money corrupts and is truly worthless. The reason is the one thing that no other network has or in foreseeable future will ever have is SafeCoin.

3 Likes

Bitcoin, I just have to keep referencing it…it’s has momentum that Safe just has to aspire to. When you go to a Bitcoin developer conference, your not discussing so much the spendable token…but what you can build on the protocol…it’s just a given. There is no public facing identity for the ‘Bitcoin Network’ it’s just Bitcoin…the public by and large have heard the name.

The bitcoin network is a peer-to-peer payment network that operates on a cryptographic protocol

The safecoin network is a peer to peer payment network that operates on a cryptographic protocol

And yes on the Dev side, I do not see any compromise in calling it the ‘Safecoin Network’ …it’s a network over which safecoin flows…a network for safecoin. I think it’s actually more descriptive because of the inclusion of ‘coin’ it brings the 2 elements together.

Joe Public has no concept of what’s under the hood with Bitcoin and does not care to hear about. I don’t see how Safe would be any different…you get great apps with a funky logo, who cares about the tech.

That is a fantastic piece of intel, thanks for bringing that in.[quote=“MrAnderson, post:57, topic:9424”]
The reason is the one thing that no other network has or in foreseeable future will ever have is SafeCoin.
[/quote]

Hallelujah brother, she is a beautiful thing and will be even prettier when David decides to spill the beans on her programmable parts…David? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I was sceptical at first about the points @chrisfostertv was making, but using the general Bitcoin/Altcoin hype does make sense and Safecoin should absolutely get it’s own identity and brand. With that being said, I think it’s too early for that. We’re not nearly at a point where the coin itself comes to life, so I’d say the branding of the Network itself is more important and time pressing right now.

As for the topic itself.

1. I think the team itself should consist of people with experience for this type of work, so most likely marketing I guess. While that brand wheel seems pretty straight forward, I think it would take me quite a while to apply this to the topic at hand and I even work with marketing on a daily basis :stuck_out_tongue:
  2. I might have this wrong, but wouldn’t it make more sense to go outside with the bounty for the logo? I’m not sure we have that many really good designer on this forum and really good quality should be the goal here, right? btw. no offence to any designer reading this :slight_smile: I’m pretty sure there is some platform out there intended for exactly this kind of purpose, freelancing of brands/designs, etc. Of course this would need a good brand wheel, but I think we need this anyway.

Just my 2 safecoins

I think we can take the opposite lesson from bitcoin.

Bitcoin was never supposed to be just bitcoin, it was always intended to be a platform for many things, but the technology has become synonymous with a particular application: cryptocurrency, and bitcoin in particular. It has applications in this area, but I think most people focus on just that area, and so there’s a risk that many other applications don’t get imagined, or don’t get a hearing when they are.

SAFEnetwork has even more potential as a platform than the blockchain IMO, so it would be even more limiting in people’s consciousness to make it synonymous with a cryptocurrency.

Safecoin also already suffers from confusion as - just another - altcoin for anyone who has reached the point of understanding that term.

SAFE (or SAFEnetwork) as a brand clearly states that this is about a set of principles embodied in a new technology, without being easily confused with, another altcoin or just a cryptocurrency.

Safecoin both leverages itself using SAFE as its root, and brings the importance of that root to the fore. Having both could work very well for both. It isn’t either or, and it isn’t negative to have two brands that link together as well as this. Brother and sister! :slight_smile:

Nobody has addressed the point I made about apps that have nothing to do with a coin struggling to get across their unique selling point (SAFE) when the brand that they apply includes the attention grabbing, but misleading element: “coin”?

5 Likes

Excellent point. The consumers drive the use case create the demand. Business adoption relies on analysis, consensus and costs where consumer adoption will be immediate driven by pure emotion. Google is a perfect example of this.

Except the APP will be earning (SafeCoin) and allows the APP developer another income choice (SafeCoin) instead of just selling off as much data on as many people to advertisers and governments (same thing in some respects). SafeCoin payment scheme to developers is the only thing that has interested my developer friends. Including me who plans on building many APPS on Safe. Not just SafeCoin, but the potential of SD, which again is SafeCoin.

1 Like

I think the SAFE Network is business (developers/companies) facing and the apps they create will be consumer facing.

1 Like

I see that point clearly. Can a consumer create a vault and store information without an app? Can a consumer create a public profile/webpage without an app? Can the safe network be used by the masses without an app?

I knew there was something not quite right about ‘safe network’ when pronouncing it and it struck me…it’s missing a beat and so is unbalanced.

Common-time is 4/4 i.e 1234 | 1234 and we know it as the most common beat in life.

So when we pronounce it were saying safe __ net work …we insert a pause, because the phrase is in 3 parts.

‘safe __ net work’ …trying writing a catchy jingle with that.

Now try ‘safe coin net work’ to me that rolls nicely, has more impact and I could write a catchy melody with that.

Yes, it’s not a heavy hitting plus point, but when your talking marketing…I’d rather have that balanced 4 beat to work with.

‘bit___ net work’ …sounds weird… right :blush:

@MrAnderson

Except the APP will be earning (SafeCoin) and allows the APP developer another income choice (SafeCoin) instead of just selling off as much data on as many people to advertisers and governments (same thing in some respects).

This didn’t address my point because that is irrelevant to the audience that an App developer is trying to communicate his unique selling point to: How does an App developer communicate SAFE to users, when the message is Safecoin?

You’ve illustrated the potential for confusion perfectly! :slight_smile:

Also, it might well not happen anyway.

2 Likes

I completely agree with you. Besides the cost to PUT data, most applications won’t be interacting at all with the coin. Safecoin is a sidekick of Safe. An incredible sidekick but one nonetheless. To me Safe is so much more then Safecoin.

Think about this: the “SAFE conference” or the “Safecoin conference”? The SAFE conference sounds much more grandiose and all-encompassing. The Safecoin conference sounds just like another altcoin meetup, it fails to grasp the true nature of what this project is about.

On a more meta level, it’s kinda weird to ask a small amount of people to decide for a brand that represents the collaborative effort of a collective. Idk, I’d say, just let it emerge. The community will organically adopt something. As for the logo, I was quite happy with the simple SAFE in blue, I don’t really understand why it needs to change.

I just say “Safe”.

• On Safe you can do this…
  • On Safe you can do that…

Anyway, my 2 safecoins…

1 Like

Always wondered who created the logo. Does anyone here know? Was the community involved in decision taking?

it was a design contest for the community to participate in, which I believe will be very similar to the network competition.

1 Like