SAFE Network article in Wikipedia

Then there’s the whole issue of notability.

On several occasions I’ve searched Wikipedia for products, websites and other things only to find that it had an article earlier, but was deleted as not being notable enough. I searched for it and wanted to read about it, someone had taken the time to create it, so there’s definitely some interest at least. Even when there’s good sources for an article, it seems that some admins just want to delete everything that’s not interesting to them, even when not being made by a paid editor or breaking any guidelines, only not being “notable” enough. What’s notable though seems to vary wildly.

5 Likes

This made me think about something I read a few years back about Jimmy Wales, co-founder of Wikipedia. He wrote a one-sentence article about a small restaurant he visited. The article was deleted after 22 minutes by some administrator. This is a result of two opposing views dubbed ‘deletionism’ and ‘inclusionism’:

5 Likes

Page was deleted as no consensus was reached about returning it to user space. I’m confident the page will return again.

3 Likes

Can’t someone intercede here so that this Wikipedia article gets recreated? I’m a banned WP user so I cannot. Surely we see the importance in having this article up?

1 Like

Interesting:

1 Like

According to Wikipedia guidelines, there can be no SAFE Network page on Wikipedia until other people start talking about it. Right now, all the links Google present are from within the project (safenetwork.org, safenetwork.tech, safenetforum.org, Medium and Reddit posts). In order to get a Wikipedia page up, the project needs coverage on independent sites.

1 Like

Afaik there should have been a fair few things written by independant sites.
Google not finding / listing them is a different matter unfortunately.

I was wondering if there might be routes in via the Ralph Breaks the Internet page?

Perhaps if there was a section on the Ralph article that listed out all the technology referenced in the movie, it’d be able to reference SAFE, and therefore add credence to the SAFE page.

Same goes for Silicon Valley… a technical advisors section perhaps?

10 Likes

A page with all references in that movie would be very long.

1 Like

No doubt! But it wouldn’t have to be exhaustive to begin with, and hopfully others would contribute too if they say where it was going. Could be broken down into the quarters of the city as per the plot.

1 Like

Keep in mind that (some) people on Wikipedia are wary of articles concerning blockchain and Cryptocurrency (probably due to scams etc). And what they think is related to that. So strict rules to follow and probably a constant fight for the contents of articles. Read for example Talk:Filecoin - Wikipedia.

1 Like

Seems to be plenty as far as I can tell

https://www.commonspace.scot/articles/8915/meet-troon-based-tech-firm-creating-brand-new-safer-internet

24 Likes

That’s an impressive list! How did you generate it?

Maybe we need a section on https://safenetwork.tech/
That lists all news stories.

5 Likes

David and Nick

Nick at: 44:44 min.

David and Nick at 1:17.25

Nick Lambert at 0:19:37 (6:18am)

13 Likes

Just searched Google and clicked news.

4 Likes

The google fu is strong with this one.

1 Like

No more article in Wiki? Deleted? That’s no great. I mean, nowdays no wiki article == no fact

1 Like

Yes, we are like war unicorns. We exist, but nobody knows it :wink:

1 Like

as I read the file of the deletion the issue was about it being made as an advertisement and not as an educational article. why dont we make here or on github a open discussion where everyone reads the wiki manifesto if one wants to add something in the wiki that will be beneficial for the safe network?

so lets control what goes up in safe network wiki as we control what goes into this forum and code of the network

The real problem is that Wikipedia has arbitrary rules about what is relevant and what is not, and unfortuntately the gatekeeping process has become very centralised. I put up an post on MaidSafe which lasted about a week before being taken down for being too similar to a previous failed attempt, even though it was totally different. I complained of course but got nowhere. Same happened with the followup, although that was rejected for different reasons.

By the way @drirmbda is working on a wiki which might go some way towards what you’re suggesting.

3 Likes