Safe name brand poll

It’s been taken (trademarked) by another company.

2 Likes

Aye, and that was my point that we risk infringing it if we change to SafeNetwork.

2 Likes

Both words are capitalized, indicating a proper noun. (Or more accurately a proper place or name, just like your First and Last names a capitalized. Or as in the case of Paris France or District of Columbia)

Yes, it is good in this case. And if you don’t see why then you’re not thinking big enough nor strategic enough. The Safe Network is not some trendy video game or coffee cup holder… How would you market a new continent?

2 Likes

I last saw them backing Buster Hymen and the Penetrators

That was one effing good gig.

Has anyone asked ze Germans about this?

They are big fans of concatenated words

Haben wir hier potenzielle sichere Netztresorbetreiber?

1 Like

So we make a big deal of saying SafeNetWORK at all times. But when we write it, its SafeNetwork.
Net and network are two different words , even if in some contexts one is a common contraction of the other. They want Net, we’ll have Network.

Sadly it doesn’t really matter if the words are different, the bar is if they feel someone might reasonably confuse the one with the other. We’ve been ok thus far, but if we change, they could challenge it I suppose.

I’m not an IP lawyer though, although I’ve filed enough trademarks and been talked at by enough trademark lawyers to know I don’t want the hassle. :joy:

2 Likes

Who mentioned German?

1 Like

Sehr gut ! Englischer Kanalbootbewohner

It does matter if the words are different. It also matters whether the entities operating under the trademark are in the same competitive space. This is why I could make a cosmetics line called “Apple” and Apple computers couldn’t stop me.

This is a list of live trademarks that contain the words “Safe Network” followed by a list of trademarks containing “SafeNet”. Interestingly enough, no one has trademarked “SafeNetwork” yet.

2 Likes

My point is the words do not need to be the same, for there to be an infringement, or for a holder to consider it infringing and make a case.

There is a UK & EU trademark for SafeNet in the same class as us, unfortunately.

It’s not directly in my wheelhouse, and not my call, but I an envisage a can of worms creaking open :sweat_smile:

1 Like

You know waaaay back when, I always wondered why the Beatles record label Apple never sued Wozniak & Jobs…

Funnily enough, with Apple’s growth into the music industry, they probably could have a case to sue them in the present climate…(although it would be hard to win). Back then, who would have thought Apple would become what it is today…

1 Like

They actually settled in 1989, but part of then agreement, IIRC, was that they didn’t stray into music. They ended up in court again in 2003 when Apple moved into music. Also one of the reasons there was no Beatles on iTunes for some time.

5 Likes

While I’ve known for many years about SafeNet being owned by another company, I hadn’t considered SafeNetwork being seen as too similar, but I worry that @JimCollinson is correct. When I put “SafeNetwork” into the poll, I did so mainly because the space versus no-space, was the main issue and @dirvine said how about a poll. Now that SafeNetwork is appearing to be the favored community term, I fear I’ve made the problem worse :frowning:

I suggest that in a few days, we do a run-off vote between the top two candidates but mention in the poll that “SafeNetwork” (assuming it’s in the poll) is quite possibly going to land Maidsafe in hot water.

@dirvine, is it possible to get a consultation with a trademark attorney to get a sense of how likely a problem this could be?

1 Like

We can also use. Safe Webwork.

2 Likes

To be clear, “Safe Network” with a space is probably okay, it’s the space that is likely pushes it over the edge legally. It would be nice to confirm from an expert on both cases however.

1 Like

I like something that can be branded and short. Safei (safe internet). Belive the domain is for sale. https://safei.com/

Also Safee com. is for sale. The domain name safee.com is for sale | Uni Market

Safe://Network, Safe://ID, etc. Really off the wall idea but an idea. Branding would be confusing (to grandma) but also unique. Could also serve as actual domains on the network. Idk, literally just tossing it out there.

3 Likes