Safe name brand poll

I don’t know the reason to move from acronym…

I wonder that SAFE and “Safe Network”==“Safe network” covers all bases.

SAFE in capitals could brand… not sure “Safe” does same.

If you’re putting a brand stamp on a graphic, does “Safe” suggest a brand?.. diff of adj and noun as noted above.

A safe network or “The Safe Network.”

Not sure it matters but for attracting noobs… which will need a url or narrative anyway.

:wilted_flower:… a rose… (not sure v2 emoticons are as good)

2 Likes

The White House long predates the fashion for combining words, which I think may have started with the Web. To me it suggests ‘tech company’, which is another plus.

4 Likes

SAFE or Safe network whatever I support team’s choice. Because it is not that important for me, the important thing is that PARSEC is gone. And FS is on boarding and everything is asynchronous. Well… something is coming.

P.S. If name is so that important for this project, this project is not that big.

2 Likes

“SAFE” or “The Safe Network” or “The SAFE Network” or “SAFE Network” or “SafeNetwork”?

Choices choices…

2 Likes

Okay, done:
https://forum.autonomi.community/t/safe-name-brand-poll/

3 Likes

It’s not a tech company though… it’s a platform, a replacement for the World Wide Web :grinning:

Interestingly, WorldWideWeb was the original web browser, a product, not the platform. Subsequently renamed of course!

3 Likes

It’s the power behind the name that counts, not just the name. But when the name is Simple, yet alludes to the power behind it, then we have a winner.

Take Amazon. In itself it seems meaningless. When I first heard the name I wondered what this was all about, because it seems so abstract, yet my curiosity was sparked at the same time. Now I realize the brilliance of the name, because it represents the endless and gigantic flow of products like a river that never stops, and just keeps coming.

I would like for us just to use the word SAFE.

It too will have a great amount of power behind it. And There is nothing more powerful on earth than the feeling of being SAFE. Everyone wants to be SAFE. Because SAFE is not just a network, it’s a feeling. SAFE potentially makes everything SAFE, not just our data, but the world in terms of decentralized economics. It will take the power away from greedy maniacs, and share it with everyone to create decentralized consensus groups, and that will make us feel SAFE. We are SAFE nation. Join SAFE nation, and feel SAFE! In marketing its not products being sold, its feelings. Cheers

1 Like

Can’t stop seeing them now :crazy_face: . Came across this on Twitter. Even Motor Head and the Buzz Cocks bowed to the inevitable eventually…

Hey, how about an umlaut?

5 Likes

I think the Vibra Tors might have been too hasty though :joy:

6 Likes

When I was seventeen half the six form went to a gig in three piece suits and saw one of those bands by accident (thinking we were going into a disco). My ears were ringing for days, but nobody hit us so it was a win.

4 Likes

After thinking about it, I’m with Jim on this one. More elegant I think as two words. Most of the ones that work better run together are either two short words, or contractions of the words.

2 Likes

I know we have the anonymous poll going but wanted to chime in again.

Imo I think the change is good. “Safe Network” being a generic term is good. Two words is more professional than one for general use. For something like a Twitter hashtag you could squeeze the two words into one and it’s obvious the space was only removed for Twitter convenience “#SafeNetwork => Safe Network”.

The “The” is a conundrum though. I think it can be used to good effect. It works really well under certain situations like the title of a white paper such as the primer, or the title of a documentary or other publication. I also think it works well in the scenario that the network could one day have computation and send its own messages (ex. “You have mail… From: The Safe Network”). Adding “The” makes the network its own sovereign entity rather than some nebulous clique. Adding “The” connotates something powerful/strong/prestigious. The drawback is the added length to the phrase. Sometimes short and sweet is nice too, ie. “The Safe Network” vs “Safe Network”.

Edit: Maybe it’s the font, but after staring at those two side by side in quotes, I definitely like the two word variant best. Short and sweet. KISS. The ‘The’ is best reserved for special use cases.

5 Likes

Great points. SafeNetwork looks a bit gimmicky to me as well vs Safe Network. Anyway if Safe blows up, Safe Network won’t be confused with anything else and capturing that “generic” name would be huge yet inevitable if it succeeds

3 Likes

Yes, I agree. Remove the space for better branding.

3 Likes

Will probably need to be two words due to TM trolls. Again, generic terms are our friend. Call it antibranding.

“The Safe Coin for the Safe Network.”

One word as SafeNetwork is too gimicky. Looks like the branding that would be used for a Microsoft product rather than something that goes down in history as a technological milestone like fire or the wheel.

Also note that as two words it also looks rather good in all caps. Would work well this way on logos, hats, t-shirts or other merch.

SAFE NETWORK

Edit: Also like to second @Michael_Hills point that the all caps single word acronym is still a very powerful branding, or currency slang.

SAFE

1 Like

Safe Network is ambiguous for a first time lurker.
SafeNetwork is unambiguously a proper noun.

Btw, those who claim that being generic is good, I wonder if you are aware that it is the capital sin of branding… and that corporations spend millions of dollars to avoid being genericized, and yet here we have people claiming that it might be good lol

I am sorry to keep repeating this, but strategic decisions like these should be done by marketing professionals.

2 Likes

I don’t think that “Safe Network” it is legally trademarkable, as it is just describing the functionality or an attribute of a network. If Coca Cola wanted to register “Soft Drinks” or “Carbonated Water”, they would be denied.

1 Like

Agreed. But let’s not forget language professionals. I’m no expert on English, but I instinctively dislike capital letters inside compound words. Although omission of white spaces makes sense for easier computation.

I don’t think the question of adjective vs. noun is all that simple when it comes to English, and may not even be relevant. It’s different for languages with distinct inflection patterns (morphology) for clearly different parts of speech.

2 Likes

The thing about the English language is that it’s almost infinitely mutable. Because it’s a hybrid of other languages, and since it’s so widely spoken around the world, different strains emerge all the time and some become widely accepted very quickly - at least compared with other major languages. To be a language purist in English is to be on a road to embitterment (God knows I’ve tried over the years, and yes I am). All of this makes it a nightmare to learn of course, because all rules are there to be broken, but it does give it a flexibility that suits innovation very well.

So new words arrive and others fall out of favour. My last pet peeve was the removal of vowels - eg Flickr - but thanks to therapy I find I can live with it now without grinding my teeth. Best to just go with the flow.

It’s quite possible that compound words will fall out of favour of course, but I haven’t seen any signs of that yet. There’s no real ‘right’ and ‘wrong’ with these things language-wise - as with design, arguments can go on forever because everyone has their own taste. For now, I think joining two fairly generic words to create a concrete brand removes ambiguity, which, I agree with @piluso, is always good.

1 Like

The main problem, as I see it, is that people nowadays confuse proper names with logos. “Maidsafe” is the name of a company, capital “M” and all. That company may want to present itself using a logo like “mAiDsAfE” in e.g. ads for whatever marketing reasons, but the name of the company remains “Maidsafe”. This confusion leads to all kinds of typographical problems in practice.

1 Like