Safe Launcher Security

The idea behind the api.safenet endpoint was to make it a standard endpoint for consuming APIs for the browser based clients to make it work across platforms. When we move to mobile (say android), the launcher can be a different implantation using IPC services (just for discussion sake). If we have a standard endpoint for invoking APIs, then it would make it easy to get the same client code to work cross platform.

I think @cretz is also not against web apps, but mixing clearnet with safenet.
We had the proxy in place just to support the browsers and to avoid the pain of having extensions (has its own set of limitations) for every browser platform.

I hope @cretz wants the proxy to removed and support web apps only using a SAFE browser. Correct me please, if my understanding is wrong.

I do agree with this.

IMO, a custom browser would also follow the same standards like the endpoints. The proxy right now is an emulation of the logic that the custom browser would actually have in future, so it shouldn’t break the UX on how the sites are being accessed when ever the user makes a switch to a SAFE Browser.

1. Build a SAFE Browser (hacked brave perhaps :wink: )
  2. At the same time, dont remove the proxy. Leave the proxy off by default.
  3. If the user wants to access the web using his standard browsers then he would have to turn on the proxy.
  4. [quote=“cretz, post:1, topic:9488”]
    dangerous looking setting
    [/quote]
    When the user chooses to opt for starting the proxy at the point we can prompt the security warnings and leave the decision to the user

I do take the CORS on the launcher as point to improve @cretz.

2 Likes