Safe-js tutorial website (WIP)

I just didn’t understand how this made sense though,

I’m developing a website, does that mean everyone who wants to use it will have to npm install crypto-js so that my website will work for them to create SD?

seems like a major drawback, isn’t there something built in for everybody so the website will work for everybody without them having to install anything?

To clarify the question, are you asking about the end user of your website or about teaching other programmers how to use the safe-js functions to build their own websites?

1 Like

well I definitely want to be able to teach people how to make websites with functions that are ready for production

You could set devs up with a boilerplate that’s distributed with a crypto library.

Otherwise, it’s easy to teach someone to install NPM and run npm install against a package.json where dependencies are already defined.

1 Like

And what about the end user. The joe/jane Blow who want to use it

1 Like

I’ve been wondering why my readme markdown is not rendering as expected. I’m learning that Github has it’s own flavor of markdown. Learning about it right now to make my readme more pleasant to read.

1 Like

I need to clarify, so I understand your question. The end user that wants to use a hypothetical website or the end user that wants to use the tutorial to learn the safe-js function library?

i just want to focus on crypto options that are built in, so the final websites will work for everybody, the masses

@whiteoutmashups creates a chat (or news) website, joe/jane wants to use the end product @whiteoutmashups made

1 Like

@neo @whiteoutmashups To use the end product no one would need to know anything about the code, crypto library, or installation of any kind.

hmm, I must be confused, and it’s ok I can drop it.

but i just didn’t understand if I install crypto-js to my local machine to create 64bit encryptions, then how anyone else can use my website on their machine to create 64bit encryptions without installing crypto-js

or am I totally misunderstanding something? it’s fine this is a small detail and not very important

1 Like

This is good. Always ask me these questions rather than not.

In the case of creating a website for safenet, or even clearnet for that matter, we’ll bundle up the crypto library along with our other js files and upload it to the public directory that will serve our website. So then when the crypto library is needed by the client, it is there to be used along with the served html.

Here’s my current public directory that’s serving: safe://chat-demo.kiparis.safenet/

That bundle.js contains the crypto-js module. I bundled this locally using browserify.

6 Likes

oh ok I gotcha, just like jQuery or something.

Lol sorry that was probly a dumb question thx for breaking it down for me!

2 Likes

@hunterlester 2 years programming? What was your work experience before? Perhaps a bit soon but codeacademy for SAFE APPs @whiteoutmashups @hunterlester ?

4 Likes

Agriculture: milker on a cow and goat dairy, QA/manager/order puller in produce warehouse

Yes, I’d love to attract and help train new developers to SAFE.

6 Likes

My hero right here ^^^

What part of the :globe_with_meridians: world r u? Move to Florida and help me get a SAFE Pod up and running!! :smiley:

Oakland, CA, maybe Fresno, CA if I get a job there next week.

1 Like

#LOTS OF UPDATES TO THE TUTORIAL SITE, GETTING ALOT CLOSER TO A FINISHED PRODUCT! CLICK HERE TO SEE :smiley:

reach out if you want to give any help in creating the Desktop / Mobile software tutorials!

3 Likes

Two dead links in this paragraph man.

“EASIEST ROUTE TO TAKE!! For BRAND NEW CODERS!! Gets you up to speed on creating basic websites with HTML, CSS, and Javascript. Then once you know how to do that, you can move onto the next lessons which will teach you how to make your websites interact with the SAFE Network! Click here to begin!” Can’t click on “Easiest routes to take” or “click here” so you might want to fix that. @whiteoutmashups

1 Like

yeah this is version 0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.1

quite an early version; if it’s working correctly then all but 3 links will be dead.

just giving sneak previews so that people can help out on the parts I won’t be able to do.

The only links that should be working are the “Learn to use Javascript to Interact with SAFE,” the “Authentication code” link, and the home button at the top so far.