SAFE + IPFS Meetup

Date and time

Tuesday, December 8, 2015 from 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM

On the second floor of the Bitcoin Embassy

RSVP

Facebook event

Description

It’s been a while since I organized a SAFE Network meetup. The last one was on May 15 when we celebrated the launch of Rust 1.0.

I definitely want to organize one last meetup before the end of the year!

In fact, it will be 2 meetups in 1 because I am also inviting the IPFS community to join us.

There will be two presentations: one about the SAFE Network and one about IPFS.

The first presentation will be given by myself. I will talk about the SAFE Launcher, the SAFE Network API and the upcoming RFCs.

The second presentation will be given by Vincent Cloutier and Didier Camus-Ferland. Half of their talk will be about IPFS and the other half will be about ipfs.pics, an IPFS app that they built together.

ipfs.pics is an open-source and distributed image hosting website. It aims to be an alternative to non-libre image hosting websites such as imgur, flickr and others.

They will showcase code examples that can be reused in other projects. Finally, they will talk about their future plans for ipfs.pics.

If you are a developer, this is certainly an event you don’t want to miss! By being present, you will get the chance to ask questions to people who are knowledgeable about SAFE and IPFS.

If you miss the event, you’ll still be able to watch the talks because I will upload them to Youtube a few days later.

The full description of the event is hosted on the blog of SAFE Network Montreal: https://montreal.safenetwork.org/2015/11/25/safe-ipfs-meetup/

10 Likes

I wish I was in Montreal… There is a ton of overlap between IPFS and SAFE – It would be good to interact and integrate with them. Many of the challenges SAFE will face they have already addressed, so I think learning from them will be extremely helpful.

Will there be a video feed?

4 Likes

I’m happy to announce that Vincent and Didier have confirmed that they will be giving a presentation on IPFS! They are the developers of ipfs.pics.

ipfs.pics is an open-source and distributed image hosting website. It aims to be an alternative to non-libre image hosting websites such as imgur, flickr and others.

They will explain how they built it and also share code examples that can be reused in other projects.

As for my presentation, I’ve started building an outline of what I will be talking about exactly. I’m very excited because I had some very good ideas! Now I will start working on my slides :slight_smile:

If you are a developer, I definitely think that this is an event you don’t want to miss! Especially because you will also get the chance to ask questions to people who are knowledgeable about SAFE and IPFS.

But if you do miss the event, you’ll still be able to watch the talks because I will upload them on Youtube a few days later.

13 Likes

I wanted to write this post at the same time I published this blog post about 2 weeks ago, but for some reason I forgot :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I wanted the presentation to be filmed by my good friend Olivier Jobin, but he forgot to show up haha :stuck_out_tongue: (and feel asleep so he wasn’t answering when I tried to call him). I’ll try my best to have the presentations filmed next time.

I will definitely be organizing other meetups in collaboration with the IPFS community! It was really fun :smiley:

First presentation

http://slides.com/frabrunelle/safe-a-secure-peer-to-peer-data-storage-network/fullscreen#/

By Francis Brunelle (me)

Second presentation

By Vincent Cloutier and Didier Camus-Ferland (the authors of ipfs.pics)

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1pDs2_asQ3B69BkpBqrugit0eNEwY2_TZ_3UgtdQbmKk/pub?start=false&loop=false&delayms=3000

Group photo

https://montreal.safenetwork.org/2016/01/02/safe-ipfs-meetup-slides/

8 Likes

Can someone please summarise and update us here on the outcome of the meeting , other events , plans and informations useful to understand better the relationship and differences or advantages of SAFE +/- IPFS — and possibly useful collaborations and integrations ?

2 Likes