SAFE-FS -- Decentralizing Online Files

Also thanks anonymous users for the new pictures you added to our SAFE-FS mockup (at mockup.safe-fs.io). They have been approved and made visible.

1 Like

great job! Sorry that I have not had the time to give you a proper reply to your last post.

2 Likes

Hello everyone,
https://maidsafe.net/roadmap_dev.html
On the roadmap I can see where we are now, but I don’t see milestone for future implementations say for beta or release candidate dates. I haven’t found estimations in the forum just that it cannot really be estimated, but I’m wondering when our SAFE-FS will work and in order for that to work we need SAFENET. Are we talking about say 2-3 years for a release candidate or maybe 10+ years? Does anyone know of a rough estimation or can point me in the right direction?
BR.

I’d say much sooner than either of those guesses.

I think most of us are hoping for vaults-from-home in January. From there I guess it is hard to say and will depend on how testing goes, but fingers crossed it will be around Q2/3 for the first iterations of testsafecoin (which should be very simple compared to what’s been done to get us to this point). Things should be quite quick once the infrastructure is all there to build around. It’s my understanding that apps like SAFE-FS should be relatively straight forward to build. I certainly don’t think it will take ‘years’, but I’m sure Will can give a better steer of how long he thinks it will take him.

Either way, I’d say you could be forgiven for expecting SAFE-FS to launch before the end of 2017. There’s obviously a lot that could go right or wrong though :grin:

3 Likes

Very true. In fact most of the functionality of a SAFE-FS app was already present in the demo web app we just completed and released. That was a step towards a live SAFE-FS version, which is very close on the horizon for us, and a near term goal.

Been working on small side projects such as these, but the goal with them has been to learn from my hired team members how to create the SAFE Web Apps myself, so I’ll be able to handle everything (changes, pivots etc) with much more agility at SAFE Launch, in order to stay conpetitive.

So in terms of releasing a SAFE-FS build, look at it this way: if I just copied code from my recent demo app, then we’re at least half way there. And remember, the demo app didn’t take very long.

8 Likes

#v0.0.1 Released!

view it here: safe://safe-fs.wom5/

mostly on @happybeing 's request a few mins ago.

Very early version, still needs many font fixes and basic file/folder functionality.

Just the beginning here, will progress along with the SAFE API.

Had to take a first step at some point!
Much of the immediate functionality will be very easily ported over from our Demo App.

8 Likes

Thinking of making a Jacksonville SAFE Pod here, out of my house.

Could literally do it in 2 seconds; I have a paid meetup.com account already and could just set up the page.

Anyone have any ideas or input?

3 Likes

Thanks annonymous users for uploading the new data to our Live Mockup,

All interest and contributions always very much appreciated :slight_smile:

9 Likes

22 Likes

just like to share my personal things on here lol for anyone interested.

All steps on the journey! step by step

6 Likes

Just want to say “well done”. The indomitable spirit of a Maid supporter. Good man :sunglasses::smiley:

6 Likes

Great story Will. Shows courage, adventurous spirit, intelligence and creativity to mention a few. It’s a privilege to share some of the journey with you and the others drawn to this project. Take care man.

6 Likes

Nice inspiring post! I have faith in what you are doing with safe-fs. And everything else maid!

3 Likes

The force is strong with Will Gallow III :metal:

3 Likes

Glad to see you working and trying to change the world:) That is an ambitious project. I hope you succeed.

1 Like

A few updates recently,

Have been getting more settled and began outreach for devs here in the Jacksonville FL area. Just yesterday I officially started the JAX FL SAFE Pod Meetup page, but have yet to have any Jacksonville residents join yet, which I need. Maybe I’ll change the title to something more welcoming, like “Learn to code” group or “Collaborative Coders” group or “Open Coding Workshop” IDK. Want to get more people coming out and working on apps and learning SAFE together, most likely here at my house, which is in a super convenient location juts 8min from downtown and near many other JAX developers meetups.

So in the spirit of reaching out and getting this FL SAFE Pod going, I am continuing to go to local Meetups and meet people. Yesterday I went to a nearby “Desktop Linux Users Group” and it was fine. Mostly only users with little interest in programming so I don’t think I wll be coming back, but I definitely learned useful things about the different distros there. I should have realized from the “Users” part of the title that no programmers would be present :stuck_out_tongue: oh well live and learn. I have provided a quick video visual and an entire recording of the voices, which was very easy and I have been meaning to start doing. I will record all future events with the voice logs in the future as well, as it is much easier to leave my phone on the table recording than it is to try and record a video of everything (and it’s mostly just people sitting around a table anyway).

Will continue these efforts and as always will continue to give updates when I have them!

Very excited to see what my new city has to offer!

https://soundcloud.com/muzikiii/safe-fs-outreach-21-voicelog

SoundCloud notes (so you don’t have to listen through everything):

• 25:29 I speak a little, ask a question
  • 30:15 Diablo III joke :stuck_out_tongue:
  • 43:30 Fedora USA Treasurer gives history of Fedora / Red Hat
  • 1:20:00 they admit they’re not programmers :stuck_out_tongue:
3 Likes

#NEVERMIND :frowning:

So instead of that idea, I’m making a FACEBOOK GROUP CHAT! :smiley:

So anyone who would like me to add you to the SAFE Network FB Chat just let me know, you can message me a link to yourself or something and I’ll add you.

So far we have @happybeing and @frabrunelle but I want to add more of you guys!! @bochaco and @hunterlester come to mind, and the chat is already growing! :smiley: Anyone who wants to join, let me know how to add you on FB!

Most people are already always on FB anyway. And we can schedule live chats etc to talk code, SAFE-FS, updates, etc! :smiley: should be great!

3 Likes

Already have 7 people on the FB Group Chat, after 10min!

Let me know if you’d like to be added to it!

2 Likes

I don’t have FB, I don’t know coding anymore. I used to code while I was at university.

It seems there were some good updates lately, and I have some hope that there will be some good news before the end of this year. Not sure about live safenet though.

1 Like