SAFE Drive - access SAFE storage on your local drive

SAFE Drive virtual drive for SAFE Network (using FUSE)

Initial Features:

• access SAFE data as if it is on your local drive (e.g. as ~/SAFE on Linux or Mac and as C:\SAFE on Windows. Note: Windows and Mac are not supported just yet but if you want to test those, see below.)
  • read only access to _public files
  • read only access to public names and services
  • cross platform support for Windows, Mac OS and Linux (only Linux available at this stage)
  • distributed in executable format, nothing extra to install

To Do:

• saving files from local apps directly to SAFE
  • copy, sync and backup files to SAFE as if it was a local drive using command line programs and applications.
  • creating a public name and uploading a website from the command line
  • cross platform support for Windows and Mac OS
  • access to private files in _documents, _music etc once these have been implemented by Maidsafe
  • making it faster!

First release is now available, Linux only so far but we are working on Windows and will help anyone with a Mac get it working - get in touch if you fancy a go.

Any problems or suggestions, please create an issue

Get involved

To help with:

This is going to be a major component that will advance the use of the SAFE network. It’d allow almost any program to store/retrieve files/data from the SAFE network without modification. Companies could get rid of their file servers with a simple update of their SOE.

And the associated (very expensive) backup procedures and have simple (or not recommended - no) backup of files seeing as SAFE is mostly doing that anyhow.

Excellent work here Mark.

Indeed - this is great stuff. I’m really busy at the moment but look forward to tinkering with it at the weekend. Is there anything you particularly want us to look out for @happybeing?

Just to thrash all the bugs out of it by trying it out in different ways on different accounts, and to note any improvements or extra features you think of.

It isn’t quite ready yet BTW, but I will announce as soon as it is.

I’m preparing a Linux build for everyone but would like somebody to do a quick test of it before I assume it works for anyone else.

This involves me getting a zip file to you, you unzipping it and running the executable on your Linux system.

Can anyone do this fairly quickly?

cc @tmark

UPDATE: For brave souls the first release is now available:

Announcing SAFE Drive v0.1

The first release is now available, Linux only so far but we are working on Windows and will help anyone with a Mac get it working - get in touch if you fancy a go.

Any problems or suggestions, please create an issue

Get involved

Did you notice I said “we are working”? I’m getting lots of help from testers, @bzee sorting tricky stuff and now @lukas is going to look at getting it working on Windows. Thank you everyone.

To help with:

Excellent. I’ll give it a whirl at the weekend. :smiley: