SAFE Datachain (work in progress)

It is hard to grasp the whole thing from a description. A picture would help. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yea it’s still being coded, a picture would be very good though.

2 Likes

I’m still trying to understand this doc…

If in each Put, Post or Delete a new datablock is created. How intermediate versions of structured data is deleted? Otherwise would have serious problems of anonymity.

SD will have a ledger field (I propose), so safecoin etc. will not have this set unless a user requests a receipt (which would keep the older transaction). Any normal SD type will remove old copies from the chain as it wastes space. So we get efficiency with anonymity. One thing I am not clear on here is the cost of receipts. It seems they will require a payment as they have an additional cost, but that’s a smaller matter really.

1 Like

Am I right in assuming that datachain is not essential to getting MVP and Safecoin? It is a nice-to-have extra?

Yes this is a side project I am investigating, a possible improvement and potentially very significant, but it will be fully coded and tested before we get to debating it internally.

6 Likes

So its use will be for disaster recovery, and perhaps for the compute layer (I have a mental picture of a Turing tape :slight_smile: ).

1 Like

One use, but it’s possibly trivial. In routing for instance we have many accumulators with times/lengths etc. DataChains would remove these and make them much simpler (lazy accumulation). There is a lot of advantages, potentially but we will see :wink:

3 Likes

17 posts were merged into an existing topic: Release Terminology Clarified – MVP?

A post was merged into an existing topic: Release Terminology Clarified – MVP?

David, do you ever sleep?

https://github.com/dirvine/data_chain/blob/master/src/data_chain.rs

5 Likes

Occasionally :smiley: It’s just busier than usual just now. Lot of balls in the air.

10 Likes

Wow this is truly awesome.

It should have almost zero impact on latency. It will, however, allow different “shape” nodes to exist. So capable nodes will fight to store as much data as possible to become archive nodes.

So… if the regular vault stays up 24\7, it naturally becomes an archive vaults?

4 Likes

Then the 2nd half is “store as much data as possible” so you have to be a large vault

2 Likes

Can someone explain Data Chains and break it down like your explaining it to a simpleton.

I’ll read about it again and try to come up with a simple and general explanation, I think I may already be able to simply explain it but it depends how well. If you want to know about HOW it does things then the simple explanations becomes quite a lot longer. The reason it’s called data chains is that the network has nodes work in a quorum to create links (as in links of a chain) and this is like much like timestamping and consensus in block chain technologies. This is a very basic and hopefully correct answer of what it is doing.

“Lot of balls in the air.” sorry, I just couldn’t help to LOL

2 Likes

I don’t want my balls anywhere near any kind of chain

4 Likes

In simplest terms it is a record of a transaction or events stored digitally and ideally unchangeable.

Think of a log book, sign in sheet or accounting record. It’s just a record of something that happened.

The complexity comes with how those events are logged, stored and verified by a group of individuals or computers.

5 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Blogpost David Irvine: Data chains: what? why? how?