SAFE Crossroads Podcast #22 | SAFE Network School, Class V, Connecting All

SAFE Network School, Class V, Connecting All

In this Episode

Class V of the School of the SAFE Network brings clarity on another component of the SAFE Network configuration which is critical to the autonomous functioning of the network.

We explore some of the problems and solutions of peer-to-peer networking, and explore some of the key terminology necessary to communicating about it.

We really only scratch the surface enough to better understand what the SAFE Network needs to accomplish to operate properly, but the miracles regularly performed all the time in providing us all with the connectivity we’ve come to expect become more appreciated in view of an understanding of the wild and amorphous Internet environment.

We have a talk with Peter Jankuliak, lead maintainer of the SAFE Network connection library, on topics related to today’s class, and progress on the current technical sprint.

Magic Word

Listen for the magic word, and submit it to your LetsTalkBitcoin.com account to claim a share of this week’s listener award distribution of LTBcoin. Listeners now have a full week from the release date to submit a magic word. The magic word for this episode must be submitted by 1 pm Pacific Time on November 4, 2015.

Music

Music for this episode: Arrivals, and Magic Words original pieces, composed and performed by Nicholas Koteskey of Two Faced Heroes

Show Notes

SAFE Network Wiki

SAFE Network Glossary

SAFEnetwork.org

safecrossroads.net

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://www.safecrossroads.net/podcasts/safe-crossroads-podcast-22/
15 Likes

Excellent @Peter_Jankuliak is a hugely technical and capable Engineer, his work in crust has been pivotal to date and he also maintains the sentinel library which we need to integrate soon. Both a very deep areas, great fun but hard work :smiley:

4 Likes

Holy smoke, that NAT functionality is much more complicated than I imagined. It will be impressive if the core developers can make it work.

1 Like

It’s amazing such a lib does not exist in a systems language so far. This is one library we are creating that should help almost every p2p project and has cost probably 3 - 4X more to develop than any other library, amazingly. I had always thought this part would be grab a lib and use, but it’s not and I see why, it’s very difficult and requires a lot of heads and Engineers to manage. Also routing is needed really to patch the nodes that cannot connect direct (when both are behind symmetric NAT devices where port prediction does not work or where the NAT is busy).

Almost all papers on kademlia, chord, pastry, tapestry etc. assume direct connections and not real world where people are in houses behind NAT devices and increasingly behind dual NAT devices (cable modes etc. are in this area).

So yes a huge task and vital for us all such a lib exists and with Rust we can compile into a c library which should be usable by any other language/project.

10 Likes

Thank you very much @fergish and @Peter_Jankuliak for explaining what’s going on under the hood. It truly is some deep technical stuff we actually never really think about.

3 Likes

@fergish your amazing. Thank you for all your efforts! Can’t wait to listen on my way to work.

I sent more MAID your way. 1C5ybJhszRA3Nm72kjEwBq4xbDCrfrLBeo

Okay all you MAID investors…invest by contributing MAID to individuals in the community that are working their ass off for all of us. I’m not made of MAID and I am happy to show my appreciation. It makes me sad to look on omnichest and only see my donations?

4 Likes

Thanks, Travis. Your expressed appreciation means more, but the donos are great, too!

I really do work my ass of on all this. Can’t help myself, actually. So the donos really are helpful.

(I love MAID, but Bitcoin, or any altcoin via Shapeshift works, also.) :sunglasses: