This file has been truncated. show original
## MaidSafe.net announces project SAFE to the community ##
#### 1. Introduction
Existing Internet infrastructure is increasingly unable to cope with the demands placed on it by over [2.4 billion](http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats.htm) connected people, a number that is predicted to grow to [3.6 billion](http://newsroom.cisco.com/release/1197391/) by 2017. Today's architecture, where central intermediaries (servers) store and provide access to data is expensive and inefficient. Data centres use between [1.1% and 1.5%](http://www.koomey.com/post/8323374335) of the world's electricity (growing at 60% per annum) and represent significant expenditure for data centre owners, providers and businesses, who all have to pay to host user data and maintain the infrastructure. Security of user data has proven to be nearly impossible in today's networks with almost weekly reports of ID and password thefts.
To overcome these challenges a fresh approach is required, a solution that removes these inordinately expensive central points of failure, data leakage and bottlenecks. By developing a fully decentralised replacement for all Internet based services, Secure Access For Everyone (SAFE) will ensure the decentralised Internet is a reality, enabling:
- Autonomous handling of structured and unstructured data types
- Private and secure communications
- Data shared at the filesystem level worldwide, no need for http, smtp, ftp etc.
- Highly encrypted and private data at rest and in transit
- The ability for people to self-authenticate onto the network and join anonymously
- A network resistant to man-in-the-middle attacks or IP address identification
- A network that requires no administrators or human intervention of any kind
- No requirement for forward planning using infrastructure that automatically configures around its users in real-time (no data centres)
- A highly usable and free API that enables a plethora of developers to create the next wave of secure applications not currently possible with today's centralised architecture
- An underlying crypto currency called safecoin that will incentivise all actors in this ecosystem