Safe-CMS - Censorship is a thing of the past

Is there a reason we can’t have PROTOCOL://DOMAIN.SUBDOMAIN/PATH on Safenet? It would just feel more intuitive to me. Is the GTLD even needed? E.g. safe://google.search/scholar, safe://google.search/images, safe://google.company/contact.

2 Likes

Yes, but I think it’s fair to argue that the traditional route is NOT the best. Given an un-official set of standards, the safe dns can be self-organizing through typical conventions. For example, if I want to add my take on a search system, no one can stop me from simply using “safe://search.with-jlpell”, but people will soon find out that “safe://search.with-google” works better, and “safe://search.by-shane” works way better still. If you are a cat photographer, just post your best CC-SA 4.0 to “safe://cats.by-shane”. :slight_smile:

After I thought about the analogous “subdomain.domain.gtld” structure on SAFE from a user interface perspective a little bit, I like it way better than the current web. Seems more intuitive and natural. There are a lot of ways for it to self organize around a simple “style-guide” without forcing people to do anything.

I also think that instead of the WWW codes, we should change the moniker to something else like SSS or SOS and come up with something more creative than “Secure SAFE Site” or “Sites On SAFE”. (Unless a consensus of people think those are decent enough alternatives.)

The only things stuck in a web are victims and vampires.

2 Likes

Hello! If anyone is interested in beta-testing the app, I could really use the following:

Someone using Windows (7 or 8.1 preferred - I do support 10 fully, it’s just what I use for development so it has already been tested to death), someone using OSX (10.9 to 10.12 - again, 10.13 is supported but has been tested to death) and Linux (“Ubuntu 12.04 or above”, “Fedora 21 or above” or “Debian 8 or above”). At the moment, ARM support is spotty at best.

I won’t be needing you for another week and a half (or so), but I just wanted to build up a small list. I’m not looking for a lot of beta-testers, just one per platform if possible - if you post here and aren’t chosen, it’s not for any particular reason.

Those testing will be required to have at least 100 puts available on their SafeNet account (as such you’ll need to have the Safe-Browser installed and a valid Safe-Authenticator account) and will be uploading content to the Alpha2 (the current live) network. You must have a keen interest in posting to the network and writing some content privately before the test would give you a great advantage.

In return, you’ll gain first access to the CMS platform (though I do recommend you upgrade to the 1.0.0 stable version at the end of the month), but you will encounter bugs, usability issues, etc. All testers will be credited in the contributors.md file in the Github repository once it’s released.

Edit: I’ll post testers below on this post:

6 Likes

Hi Shane - I’m in! Can do Debian 9 and Fedora 26, Win 7 too if needed. We can give testers new invite codes if they are short of PUTs. Cheers

2 Likes

Perfect - I’ll just sign you up for Debian / Fedora if that’s okay? I want the test group to be small but it’s also important to have some variety (both of environments and technical capabilities of the users)

1 Like

I’m running Windows 7.

2 Likes

I could do Debian, or Ubuntu, or any other free linux distro you would like. Centos as another redhat variant beside fedora might be good to test too.

I’ll put you down for Ubuntu, which version are you running?

With regards to Centos / RHEL, at the moment there are compatibility issues between Electron and the versions of GLIBC distributed with the most recent versions of Centos/RHEL by default, so I’m not considering it a distribution target for the V1.0.0 release. It’s not a massive loss, since not a particularly large amount of people are using desktop RedHat / Centos in the real world, but if there’s a lot of demand, I’m happy to look at aiming for compatibility with V2.0.0.

1 Like

I go through different distros like candy via VirtualBox. Just tell me which one you would like and I will install it and test out the CMS. It’s been a little while since I installed an Ubuntu box, but I use debian daily and they are pretty similar. If you would prefer someone to test things with a native host os of Ubuntu, then perhaps someone else might be better equipped. Just let me know what you prefer… I’m happy to help out if I can.

A lot of times the particular desktop environment has an effect on how well things run. So it’s more of a KDE,Gnome, XFCE thing vs. the actual linux distro itself.

1 Like

I actually don’t know if it (the SafeNetwork libraries) will work within virtualbox by default, this is a little out of my scope of knowledge, perhaps @hunterlester could comment.

Will the NAT traversal techniques, etc, all work from a network perspective from within a virtualised environment? I know that some tools have issues using the virtual PCI networking adapters Virtualbox exports. From my experience, an easy way to resolve any issues is using the bridged networking configuration of Virtualbox, but I’m not an expert in Virtualized networking.

1 Like

I use Ubuntu to regularly test our libraries and apps via VirtualBox on Windows 10, for both mock-routing and connecting to the live network.
However, I’m running Home edition, which doesn’t use Hyper-V like Professional Edition.
Not sure if that’ll make a difference.

3 Likes

Amazing, thanks for the fast answer, Hunter. By the sounds of this, I’m happy with you running your tests within Virtualbox @jlpell. :slight_smile:

I’m running Peruse, the email app, and the web host manager on alpha-2 just fine with debian stable on virtualbox.

1 Like

I use virtual machines regularly too for all kinds of stuff (virtualbox and VMware, windows and Ubuntu) - didn’t have networking problems yet with reasonable networking settings

I would be surprised if you ran into trouble but in case there is something going on I do have Ubuntu (16.xx) natively on the machines I mostly work with - so you can just shout out to me in telegram/IRC @jlpell and I will try and be of help :wink:

Hey all, I’m still looking for a beta tester on OSX and Windows 8.1 :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m a mac user, though on 10.13. Let me see if I still have the 10.11 boot on my 2nd hard drive and circle back.

I just spent an hour trying to get el capitan on my old hdd going to no avail. I hope someone else can come to the rescue here.

Possibly teaching @Shane things he already knows (though I didn’t), but posting here for anyone building websites and apps which store files, not just @Shane

3 Likes

I’ve read this a few times over the last few years, it’s a great resource and I would recommend anyone building tools (or websites) for the web to give it a look. In terms of Safe-CMS, there is an optional 301 redirect option when changing post URLs

2 Likes

Hi @Shane, I’m using Windows 8.1 :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes