Safe-CMS - Censorship is a thing of the past

It’s been a few days since there was any major update, so here’s one for you:

I’m in the process of re-building the app from the ground up in preparation for the 1.0.0 release, fixing several issues in the application by changing the user journey (selecting a domain, then acting within that domain, instead of constantly having to re-select your domain on posts / templates / files).

This allows simpler template re-use, a much simpler user interface and post list and hopefully will remove some confusion.

This will also allow users to have different themes on each domain, where a theme is a JSON file which completely changes the functionality of Safe-CMS for that domain. For instance, within the JSON file, developers can specify custom image uploads to be added to the post upload page, extra sections to be rendered within the template, use post values (urls, custom fields, etc) within the template code, and a few more features I can’t guarantee yet so won’t talk about.

These JSON files will be available on the safecms domain within the safe network and will be one-click installable - no need to mess about with files and folders, just click and it will start working a few seconds later. To prevent a monopoly situation, where I have centralised control over this, the Safe-CMS will accept a valid JSON file from anywhere (as long as it conforms to the specification, which will also be uploaded to the safecms domain).

@AndyAlban has been working on some more built in templates for you to use, and these will be coming in 1.0.0 as well (I estimate you will have 5-6 default templates to choose from) and with the new theme system built in, each of these will allow you to change template header background colours, etc, without having to enter the HTML or CSS - massively expanding the usefulness of the tool for people without coding experience.

Here is a candid photo of Andy:

Don’t forget: 1.0.0 comes out on Sunday and will be a major backwards compatibility break, so beta users installing the new version will likely lose their posts / templates / files (but will keep their domains, obviously). Apologies for the inconvenience here, I try to prevent compatibility breaks where I can but the themes change has hugely changed the way our local data is stored and presented.

26 Likes