Safe-CMS - Censorship is a thing of the past

Hi Guys, this is a tiny, tiny update, but I just wanted to show off the first website ever fully made using the Safe-CMS, which can be found here:

safe://blog.safecms/

All I’ve done to create this website is:

• Create a domain
  • Select the default template, choose the domain I’ve created and click “publish”
  • Write a post on this domain at “hello-world.html” and click publish
  • Write a post on this domain at “index.html” and click publish

It took me around 60 seconds in total. :slight_smile:

The eagle-eyed among you will notice the template.js file here: safe://blog.safecms/template.js, this is the total uploaded size (1.6kb) of the default template, including wrapping HTML, CSS and JS, as well as the bindings to render the scripts and styles to the page.

25 Likes

I’m waiting on an FFI bug with Electron to be fixed before I can deliver the beta packages. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Brilliant work! This is a great tool and really shows how powerful the SAFENetwork will be.

6 Likes

@Shane inspiration

:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I have it building on MacOS now and did some basic user testing with @AndyAlban in the office:

He’s in the process of building his own custom template now, and I’m sure he’ll share it here once he’s done.

I’m not sure when I’ll get the linux test builds out, it should be fairly soon - I just want to fix the few small issues Andy has raised and stuff I noticed while he was testing.

Either way, this is a really good day for the project:

• It builds on another operating system
  • It works when you open it
  • All the functionality works as expected

Happy times. :slight_smile: PS: apologies for the terrible mobile phone video.

13 Likes

I’ve added a settings page, containing the option to switch off the “Built with SAFECMS” button in the default template, as discussed here: An open discussion: Should the default Safe-CMS template contain a "Built with" advert?

In addition to this, I’ve also given power users the option to disable the Medium editor used for posts and to instead use the HTML editor provided for creating templates. This allows people with a strong knowledge of HTML to write their posts without the restrictions of a WYSIWYG editor. @happybeing I will be adding Markdown support within the next 2 weeks, for you in particular. :slight_smile:

The settings page can be seen here:

11 Likes

Fantastic :slight_smile:

UPDATE:
@Shane just thought of a new feature (sorry) and probably not too hard…

• ability to publish to both web and safe (eg via an ftp upload - I have that with my hosting service and I could provide some free accounts if others want them)

I think this would be great, especially with a template that encourages www viewers to learn about SAFEnetwork. Say a footer with… “This blog is also available on the SAFEnetwork (alpha2) - a new secure, autonomous Internet” with a link to a suitable landing page introducing SAFE and with links for different visitors (eg view websites / publish a blog using Safe CMS / develop apps on SAFEnetwork).

I know it doesn’t really fit the SAFE ethos, but as a way to encourage people to blog and publish while introducing the SAFEnetwork to many more readers, bloggers and devs it might be worth it.

I’d certainly be interested in dual publishing a blog about what I’m working on (if I can find the time) and I’m much more likely to bother if it gets visitors who don’t yet have Peruse and alpha2 access.

EDIT: feature request issue 14 raised on github.

12 Likes

Yep, that’s a good idea. I’ll have to look in to it, I know there is already a NodeJS package for FTP client support: GitHub - mscdex/node-ftp: An FTP client module for node.js, but it means a whole bunch of re-tweaking code which has already been tested and I’m remiss to go back and add what is, essentially, a major feature this close to launch.

I’ll be publishing the Github repo within the next 72 hours, so I’ll send it over then and you can raise it as a feature request, I’m definitely interested in getting this in for V2.

It’s worth mentioning, I’ve also bought the domain safecms.org (empty at the moment) so I can redirect people to there with an explanation, a link to the primer, etc - I’ve got a local version of a simple safe-cms website, I just haven’t got round to pushing it live and setting up LetsEncrypt SSL yet.

15 Likes

Hi all. :slight_smile:

As @Shane said earlier on, I’ve been playing around with Safe-CMS on MacOS today and have put together a template for my blog and put up a blog post (just a little primer on some PHP stuff I’ve been learning recently). I thought I would share the template here so you can all see.

Here is the home page:

And here is my first post:

This was all done entirely within the Safe-CMS tool, from start to finish. You can check the blog out for yourself by opening safe://blog.andy within the SAFE Browser.

26 Likes

It looks great @AndyAlban and @Shane! This app is top notch.

11 Likes

Hi all,

I had a little bit of free time this morning, so I added arbitrary file uploads. :slight_smile:

Now, you can upload files of any type, size, etc, to any domain which you own, these files can then be used in your blog posts, templates, etc.

I’m very close to wrapping up this project now, l just decided to add this feature because it felt like something which was going to be really useful and it wasn’t a lot of effort, since I had already built to tooling for uploading to the network.

21 Likes

Good stuff. Can’t wait to try it!

2 Likes

Time to open up a Feature Request List for 1.1 of SAFE-CMS : ) Great work!

2 Likes

Hi all, the day is finally here. :slight_smile:

First of all, please be aware that this is a beta pre-release, things may be rough around the edges and there may be cross-platform issues, etc. The version 0.0.3 beta releases (for Windows and Linux) can be found here: https://github.com/badcodeltd/safecms/releases/tag/0.0.3.

Linux has had a lot less testing than Windows, so please consider it less stable, but I’m free for the next 24 hours to make any hot-fix builds needed and I’ll push a 0.0.4 release for Linux users if there are any major breaking bugs.

Installation instructions can be found here on the Github page: https://github.com/badcodeltd/safecms, though they’re essentially “run the safe-cms executable after unzipping the directory”.

In addition, this also means that the code for the app is now open-source, so you can all have a good laugh at how bad it is. :wink: The code is released under an MIT license, so feel free to re-use any part of it.

A true 1.0.0 release should be within the coming 72 hours, including the MacOS build (and, if the electron-builder gods are friendly to us, NSIS installers for Windows and DMG installers for MacOS), but this beta release allows us to find anything weird, funky, nasty, etc.

On a personal note, I’m really nervous right now, there’s something oddly private about revealing a big chunk of code you’ve written from scratch to the world like this, but I’m also really excited - not only did I manage to build the thing I said I would, but it has more features than expected and it’s being delivered early.

If you’re specifically interested in the code I wrote (and much I borrowed from the safe-examples) to interface with the SAFE Network, that can be found here: https://github.com/badcodeltd/safecms/tree/master/src/safe

Long live the SAFE Network.

Edit

If you build something using the network, please post it here, I would really love to see what people make with the tool.

Edit 2

Updated release number to 0.0.3

29 Likes

Wohoo! Trying it now. Do you want any bugs found or commentary posted here or on Github?

7 Likes

Amazing, thanks a tonne!

To Github on the issues page if you already have an account: Issues · badcodeltd/safecms · GitHub would be best, as I’ll only have to copy them over anyway. :slight_smile:

For those reading who don’t have a Github account, don’t worry - if you post it here, I’m more than happy to copy the issue over to Github for you.

7 Likes

I’ll be pushing a 0.0.3 release to fix a directory permissions issue on startup for Linux users - this will be available within the next 15 minutes.

2 Likes

The “Domains” don’t work.

Windows 10-64. I try both, peruse 0.4.1 and SafeBrowser 0.9.0. As a test I revoke the SafeCMS Permissions and run again but the same results.

2 Likes

Okay, would you be able to do me a favour please @digipl?

Right click within the app and select “Inspect Element”, then click on “Console” within the window which pops up.

Try to create a domain, and let me know what error appears. :slight_smile: Please send it to me directly as a message instead of posting it here, as it will likely contain some personal information about your machine’s directory structure, etc. Thanks!

Edit

This seems to be specific to users who have previously created domains with the project decorum wallet, I’m adding a workaround for this now for version 0.0.3, but this shouldn’t effect other users.

4 Likes

Good to know it just wasn’t a problem for me. Same issue using prebuilt binary and build from source via github. Also, when I run “npm package” I get an error. Latest Ubuntu ‘Artful’, linux x64, fresh SAFE account.

2 Likes