Safe Chat — Friday 26th February, 9PM GMT

Here’s the meeting link for when the time comes:

Reminder that we intend to record, and then allow folk to watch later on YouTube, so assess your privacy needs accordingly!

1 Like

Last. minute change of link guys, due to tech difficulties…

Updated in the OP

1 Like

Really great chat last night folks. Here’s the recording for anyone who couldn’t make it:

14 Likes

A great big thank you to everybody, and especially @Sotros25.

9 Likes

What is the interest of users for more secure communications - most do not care.

Are you interested in a more secure dropbox - no, I’m fine.

So what is the spoon with honey for the Safe Network? Well, let’s see what the honey is for the millions of miners in the most decentralized network in the world - Ethereum. Money.

There is a high probability that this will be the case for Safe too in the next 5-10 years.

@Sotros25 was specifically talking about end users, not farmers.

5 Likes

Our first users will also be farmers. Or do you think people will exchange dollars to buy the token? By the way, I mined ethereum and I know what I’m talking about from personal experience. And I bought crypto kittens. So I know that they are bought only to sell them to someone else, ie. just for speculation. I also mined musicoin and I use Spotify and I know that I will no move to listen to music in Safe (stolen music - I want people to get paid for their work)… So the only spoonful of honey remains farming.

Maybe so, but that’s a separate issue. She was specifically talking about how to get end users to start caring about privacy by offering something that has privacy built in by default without using the ‘privacy’ label.

6 Likes

You can not. I’ve talked to thousands of people for 7 years. I went to exhibitions, handed out flyers on the street, pasted posters. People are ok with the current system. The only thing that makes their eyes light up is when you mention money. At least in the poorest country in Europe this is what happens…

1 Like

You can if you offer applications that are private by default, single sign on, integrated with other apps via linked data, allow very simple sharing etc - that’s the vision. Of course people’s eyes light up when you mention money cos they picture themselves in a Lambo (ain’t gonna happen by the way) but money is not the only motivating force.

3 Likes

Perhaps in rich countries like the US, UK or Germany, people can afford to indulge in Privacy, Security and Freedom. But in most of the world, people are immersed in such a way of life, in such a struggle for survival, that they do not have time for it and use what is easiest for them (and “free”).

2 Likes

I don’t think you can divide it that way at all. I know rich people who go on and on about money and are completely obsessed by it and poor people with no interest. And I mean really poor. There are rich people who don’t care what the world knows about them so long as their money’s safe, and poor people who really value privacy. And there are rich and poor in oppressive regimes who are definitely interested in keeping their associations and communications away from prying eyes.

2 Likes

Everything you describe are the exceptions. There may be millions of such people. But the mass of people consider the crypto a pyramid and a scam. This directly removes 99% of those people. But in the crypto world are many who understand that the tokens with which the network will pay have value. Many of these people will be 3 in 1 - users, farmers and speculators.

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Brazilian politics

Thank you for recording the session @JimCollinson, unfortunately I couldn’t make it myself but watching this back definitely got me excited for joining in on the next one.

@Sotros25 you did some amazing work putting this all together, can’t thank you enough!

When asked what inspires you most about the Safe Network I was looking for the button to raise my hand, which is quite stupid when you’re watching it all happen 12 hours after the actual event :stuck_out_tongue: but man, did I want to share!

When I first learned about the Safe Network I was quite worried. As a developer myself I’ve seen so many great products get thrown away because getting the community is actually the hardest part. Now looking at the Safe Network we got this amazing community already here before we even got the product out, that’s truly unique.

We got an amazing journey ahead of us, I’m sure with a few bumps in the road every now and then. But with this community, I don’t doubt for a second we’ll get through all that without a scratch on us. This is history in the making guys, and we’re all part of that. I love you all!

14 Likes

Farming will be an exciting prospect for many, I’m sure, but you have to remember it’s not free money. It’s a trade. Trading bandwidth, electricity, storage space and investment in hardware, with people who want to store and use data on the network. They are the people on the other side of the equation: the customer if you will.

How you make sure that a commodity you have to trade is as valuable as possible in order to maximise profit? You make it useful, desirable and scarce. And by scarce I mean by having a healthy and expanding customer base.

So that is what we are talking about here. How do we make people aware of the farmer’s product, how do we make it useful for them, available to them, and how do we make it desirable over the alternatives —such as the clearnet?

2 Likes

One quick question Jim, if you’ll allow me. Are you a farmer somewhere? Sia, Storj, Ethereum, any other token?

No, I’m not.

Thanks for the reply. I am a farmer in these projects and in many more over the years. I am a member of many groups of people who are farmers. As a farmer, I can say for myself that I accept all the tokens I have farmed as free. In this thread I have explained why:
https://forum.autonomi.community/t/do-you-see-the-blue-sky/33417?u=dimitar

I think many will think that and many others will think of it as earning something whereas others will possibly even do it because it’s right! That latter may be a small group, but I feel it will exist. I think though all are valid opinions on “why” folk will run nodes. Maybe there are others I am missing, but each of these groups will respond to different messages and none of these groups are invalid IMO.

3 Likes