SAFE as a mountable disk (safe-vfs): First version

Wow, rad. Not on linux so can’t test it, sadly :frowning:

If you ever want help testing on OSX though, give me a shout.

4 Likes

This is fantastic :slight_smile: unfortunately I can’t play with it for a while :frowning:

3 Likes

Holy greatness here !!

I’m struggling at getting ruby to behave, getting :
libruby.so.2.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

fiddling with rvm right now.
I did rvm install 2.2.0 and rvm use 2.2.0 --default , but it still complains about libruby.so.2.2 missing. I am not familiar with ruby, but it looks like my ruby install is local to my user, and your script is searching for the lib globally ?

EDIT 1

I made a dirty symlink ot /usr/lib64/ and now it works :slight_smile:

EDIT 2

I see public/ and private/ in /mnt/safetest :smiley:

This will be a really neat tool, it will make publishing or updating a breeze ! Congratulations for the great work @anon71598723 !

5 Likes

As far as I understand rvm is old hat these days. (which is not very far not being a ruby dev)

GitHub - rbenv/rbenv: Manage your app's Ruby environment is the modern version.

That said, changing from rvm to rbenv the other day for me was a HUUUGE PITA. So might not be worth the bother.

1 Like

What are the pre-requisites for this? Not familiar with Ruby.

In theory you don’t need to install ruby to use it. Just download mount.safevfs and run it. You probably will need to install fuse although.

1 Like

Just out of curiosity, is your OS 32 or 64 bits?

I have a 64bits fedora install.

Is there yet a way to mount with r/w access to regular users ? It seems I need to be root to launch the script, and also to read and write in the mountpoint.

Interesting, it shouldn’t be required to you have ruby installed in order to use it. Are you using the mount.safevfs file? Or are you running​ the main.rb script? Also it should be working with non-root users. I’ll do some testings in a fedora setup to find why you are experiencing these issues.

1 Like

Tried on both Fedora and Debian both with fuse installed:
user@testing:~/Downloads/safe-vfs-master$ ./mount.safevfs ~/mountsafevfs-test/
user@testing:~/Downloads/safe-vfs-master$ /tmp/selfextract.VwT6JP/lib/vendor/ruby/2.2.0/gems/rfuse-1.1.2/lib/rfuse.rb:3:in require': libruby.so.2.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory - /tmp/selfextract.VwT6JP/lib/vendor/ruby/2.2.0/gems/rfuse-1.1.2/lib/rfuse/rfuse.so (LoadError) from /tmp/selfextract.VwT6JP/lib/vendor/ruby/2.2.0/gems/rfuse-1.1.2/lib/rfuse.rb:3:in <top (required)>’
from /tmp/selfextract.VwT6JP/lib/vendor/ruby/2.2.0/gems/rfusefs-1.0.3/lib/fuse/rfusefs-fuse.rb:2:in require' from /tmp/selfextract.VwT6JP/lib/vendor/ruby/2.2.0/gems/rfusefs-1.0.3/lib/fuse/rfusefs-fuse.rb:2:in <top (required)>’
from /tmp/selfextract.VwT6JP/lib/vendor/ruby/2.2.0/gems/rfusefs-1.0.3/lib/rfusefs.rb:3:in require' from /tmp/selfextract.VwT6JP/lib/vendor/ruby/2.2.0/gems/rfusefs-1.0.3/lib/rfusefs.rb:3:in <top (required)>’
from main.rb:1:in require' from main.rb:1:in

2 Likes

I’m on Windows 10/64 so can’t test. Just wanna say that I think it’s absolutely cool what you are doing :clap:.

9 Likes

Gonna sleep now, it’s almost 4am here, but it seems that the rfuse.so file isn’t packed inside mount.safevfs. I’ll check this tomorrow.

Thank you guys for testing it!

10 Likes

I am using the mount.safevfs file just like you instructed in the OP.

ok, I am figuring things out :

in order to use a mountpoint in the user home, I need to use an absolute path :

[user@host user]# ./mount.safevfs test/ fails , doesn’t find the folder “test/”

[user@host user]# ./mount.safevfs /home/user/test/ works.

Then, a regular user can access the mounted point and read / write stuff freely :slight_smile:

4 Likes

What is this? You can test/simulate a SAFE network on a single volume through virtualization?
In the real world could this become a node swallower that helps weaken the network? Is this like droplets but with a single drive so no having to rent?

No, this is about being able to access your SAFE files as if they were resident on a drive on your PC.

6 Likes

sooooooo cooool!!! (>.< … being on a boat with very limited internet right now … the other people would kill me if i’d try it right away …)

@anon71598723 you are my hero! :hugging: :heart_eyes:

I can’t wait to get home again to get it up and running!
using safe like a network storage is soooo great! (oh crap i’ll need a lot of coin in the first days to backup all my stuff …)

7 Likes

Just think of it as an app that lets you store and access your files on the SAFE network. It works / will work just like any other hard drive that you have, except in this case the hard drive is virtual and the files actually live on the SAFE network.

2 Likes

:smiley: It’s what makes the pied piper make your phone look like it has terrabytes of data, but none of it is on the phone, until you look at it and even then only in memory :wink:

15 Likes

$30 android, 8 exabytes of storage :smiley:

8 Likes

SERIOUSLY COOL!!!

BEEN WAITING YEARS FOR THIS TO HAPPEN, WELL DONE THAT MAN!!!

looking for this was the reason i stumbled over maidsafe in the first place that and accelerated file transports.

VERY HAPPY RUP :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

8 Likes