SAFE App Launcher - Introduction

don’t forget the ending part where it fails to take off :smile:

5 Likes

“You broke the bloody ship!”… movie reference to Galaxy Quest.

1 Like

@Viv that’s bloody brilliant. I’m glad you found a way to incorporate lift off (without the earlier… ahem). Well done @Scott, you’ve hit the ground running. I’m sorry to be going on holiday at this crucial moment is the UX design :frowning:

3 Likes

Everything I’ve seen so far looks so slick and engaging. I really like that maidsafe uses blue tones. In marketing its said certain colors evoke particular emotions, blue is suppose to represent trust I believe, so good choice. And the rocket blowing up instantly made me smile, very cool! :smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing. I am salivating and can’t wait to sink my teeth into it.

1 Like

I’ve found some more :smirk: :smiley:

link1:Dropbox - Error
link2:Dropbox - Error
link3:Dropbox - Error
link4:Dropbox - Error
link5:Dropbox - Error

You can copy and paste into your browser :blush:

EDIT: These tasks aren’t done/completed so changes are likely

4 Likes

Do take these with a grain of salt. They aren’t tasks that are Done/Completed. So changes are likely which might mean these links get outdated

2 Likes

Ok that was something I was afraid of but I posted them because they were publicly available. But it’s good to see these kind of things pop up for the people who can’t read the development/progress in technical explanations and github etc.

2 Likes

That’s me! :grin:

I agree it should be called the Safe App Launcher. @Viv I missunderstood and thought that the launcher discussed on the updates was just gonna have messaging and launch the Maidsafe program to enable us to connect to apps such as @whiteoutmashups but not much more capability then that. This was not clear to me until @polpolrene brought it up and I’m sure that I’m not alone. What other feature will the launcher have that nontechnical people like me are missing? Is there anything else that the Maidsafe dev’s are planning to add to the launcher besides apps and messaging? Thanks.

Launcher will act as a gateway for applications to connect to the SAFE Network, keeping the users’ credentials secure.
Said that, the launcher will be providing APIs for the applications to authorise and perform operation on the SAFE Network. So the launcher will be providing APIs to expose the SAFE Network features which the applications can use (NFS, DNS, Messaging), these are on the API level which are useful for the developers.

Visualise launcher as a control panel, for managing the connected applications. Moreover, the launcher will provide options to start and stop other services such as the WebProxy.

6 Likes

Hello @Krishna_Kumar, Thank you for your response. I know these are extremely busy times as we get closer to an MVP so please do not feel rushed to answer any of my additional questions which follow:

1. Do I understand correctly that the Launcher will launch any application that attaches through an API so that when you launch, you will have a suite of apps to choose from like you would in an “app store”?

2. One of the first apps that the Maidsafe team will be developing to include with the Launcher is messaging or will messaging be a core part of the launcher features?

3. What is NFS and DNS?

4. What is a WebProxy?

FYI - I will probably be doing some research on my own for questions 3 and 4 but thought I’d ask here anyway if and when you find the time to answer. Thanks again.

No problem. @Krishna_Kumar is just working on setting up the droplet tests right now. I’ll try and answer your questions :slightly_smiling:

Easier to think of the launcher as a gateway. It’s something the client apps need to communicate with to reach the SAFENetwork. In the current iteration, Launcher does not need to “Launch” an app itself. Apps started can contact the launcher and request the launcher for a set of permissions which the launcher will confirm with the user and once agreed by the user that said app will be able to communicate via the launcher for those features (features here could be stuff like accessing the users SAFEDrive/Messaging/…). Launcher will then also let users manage the permissions an app has and revoke/amend privileges previously provided to the app.

I think we’ll intend to provide sample apps for every feature provided by the network. This will at a very basic level be a how to guide of how to utilise that particular feature and serve as a guide for app devs to build their own apps and extend these features for various use-cases.

NFS and DNS are two core modules that help clients perform network-filesystem / name-service actions on the network. These actions will be exposed to apps via the launcher API.

It’s just a proxy for us to intercept requests to the SAFENetwork and provide corresponding data from web browsers. By using a standard proxy we can support a wide range of browsers(Firefox, Chrome, IE, Safari, …) and provide access to public sites on the network. This will be bundled with the launcher for now.

No problem. Hope that helps.

8 Likes