SAFE App Launcher - Introduction

MAID Client

The MAID Client will connect you to the SAFE network. It’s the gateway to the SAFEnet and when you run the app for the first time you’ll be asked to provide a PIN, username and password. Please make sure to store these in a very secure place, it’s the only way for you to access your data again. Click on one of the links below for the installer…

Windows 32bit-installer.exe
Windows 64bit-installer.exe

Mac OSX installer

Ubuntu Linux packet
Debian Linux packet

For the mobile Android versions please go to the Google Play store using this link.

1 Like

Does anyone have any video or new pictures of the safe launcher in action?

1 Like

It has been pulled to “Next” on github so anyone can build it, but I haven’t figured out how to get it to start yet!

1 Like

Just a couple thoughts.

in Windows I’m not sure if its possible to launch a process as another account (you can launch threads in other processes virtual memory space, so its probably possible).

I believe runas.exe does this in Windows?

For instance, a malicious app could always be a keylogger,

A malicious SAFE App could be a keylogger, yes?

Do these clients still exist?

1 Like

No, I just gave imagination a go to find out how it could sound. I think quite cool :wink:

2 Likes

How about SAFE GATE: SAFE = Secure. Access. For. Everyone , GATE = Global. Authenticator. To. Enter

or something similiar

6 Likes

Very nice.

Definitely makes it clear that it is the ONE n only official entryway into safe.

So good choice of words, with that one.

1 Like

Some of you guys from this thread follow the UI Design work going into the launcher submodule, if you havent been following JIRA, you’d probably have missed some of the transitions @Scott has come up with for the UI. Thought I’ll just share a sample here

Login Section Transitions

More to follow :smile:

13 Likes

very nice, the little rocket is taking off!!!
one small animation speaks louder than a thousand lines of code (to me at least)

is there a way to have the safecoin logo in there too? behind the rocket is this grey
hexagon anyway… :wink:

1 Like

don’t forget the ending part where it fails to take off :smile:

5 Likes

“You broke the bloody ship!”… movie reference to Galaxy Quest.

1 Like

@Viv that’s bloody brilliant. I’m glad you found a way to incorporate lift off (without the earlier… ahem). Well done @Scott, you’ve hit the ground running. I’m sorry to be going on holiday at this crucial moment is the UX design :frowning:

3 Likes

Everything I’ve seen so far looks so slick and engaging. I really like that maidsafe uses blue tones. In marketing its said certain colors evoke particular emotions, blue is suppose to represent trust I believe, so good choice. And the rocket blowing up instantly made me smile, very cool! :smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing. I am salivating and can’t wait to sink my teeth into it.

1 Like

I’ve found some more :smirk: :smiley:

link1:Dropbox - Error
link2:Dropbox - Error
link3:Dropbox - Error
link4:Dropbox - Error
link5:Dropbox - Error

You can copy and paste into your browser :blush:

EDIT: These tasks aren’t done/completed so changes are likely

4 Likes

Do take these with a grain of salt. They aren’t tasks that are Done/Completed. So changes are likely which might mean these links get outdated

2 Likes

Ok that was something I was afraid of but I posted them because they were publicly available. But it’s good to see these kind of things pop up for the people who can’t read the development/progress in technical explanations and github etc.

2 Likes

That’s me! :grin:

I agree it should be called the Safe App Launcher. @Viv I missunderstood and thought that the launcher discussed on the updates was just gonna have messaging and launch the Maidsafe program to enable us to connect to apps such as @whiteoutmashups but not much more capability then that. This was not clear to me until @polpolrene brought it up and I’m sure that I’m not alone. What other feature will the launcher have that nontechnical people like me are missing? Is there anything else that the Maidsafe dev’s are planning to add to the launcher besides apps and messaging? Thanks.

Launcher will act as a gateway for applications to connect to the SAFE Network, keeping the users’ credentials secure.
Said that, the launcher will be providing APIs for the applications to authorise and perform operation on the SAFE Network. So the launcher will be providing APIs to expose the SAFE Network features which the applications can use (NFS, DNS, Messaging), these are on the API level which are useful for the developers.

Visualise launcher as a control panel, for managing the connected applications. Moreover, the launcher will provide options to start and stop other services such as the WebProxy.

6 Likes