Sacrificial data vs non-permanent data

So the network deletes the old chunks for you?

Or do I have to do that?

And does it’s reputation go back down to zero all over again?

1 Like

All this has been covered in this thread I think: Non-persistent vaults

You don’t need to log in at all. This shouldn’t be your intention because you think that the safe network currently designed can manage permanent data, so you don’t need to make such payments.

My proposal is only an added security over the current design for people who thinks that sacrificial chunks, automatic farming rate and even safecoin price valuation on external exchanges might be not enough to manage the case in a distant future when the network contains plenty of old data that are never accessed and only a few percentage of recent data that can provide rewards.

In addition to the security of personal data owned by people, another motivation to do such payments will be the security of the general network offered by this new source of recycled safecoins. I am sure there will be a lot of people who will be willing to give up a fraction of their farmed safecoins just for this. This isn’t philanthropy, it’s only the realization that the security of all is also their personal security.

Time servers are not needed because a consensus on absolute time can be reached in a group by taking the average UTC time given by its nodes, excluding the values that are too different. Nodes with such values can even be deranked, that way we are sure to get rapidly a uniform time value over the whole safe network (which is an added functionality of the network in itself).

2 Likes

Your proposal broke the backbone of the safe network. If you think your solution is better, fork the safe network and try to convince devs to follow you.

Like I said, I just think that’s what he was trying to say, not that I agree.

Considering the exponential increase in the amount of data humanity produces (and can store), “recent data” will never be just a few percent of the total data. I’m in my mid twenties, and I can clearly remember from the time I was in elementary school that a hard disk of a few hundred megabytes was quite big. Now I have to mutiply by ten thousand to be able to say that of a contemporary consumer level storage device.

Even when we hit fundamental physical limits of particles, we will still be able to improve the efficiency and increase the production of the ultimate storage technologies. So, old data will more likely be a few percent of total data than the other way around.

2 Likes

Storing 700TB of data per gram, some room for growth in the data storage technology field.

3 Likes

old article, but crazy idea nonetheless! Imagine we would get to sequencing DNA on demand that you could plug a DNA drive in your machine :slight_smile:

1 Like