Rust 1.4 moved to stable

Rust 1.4 released

Does maidsafe development still need Rust 1.5 feature level or what is the precise requirement as to the Rust language feature levels?

Announcing Rust 1.4
Oct 29, 2015 • The Rust Core Team
Choo choo! The trains have kept rolling, and today, we’re happy to announce the release
of Rust 1.4, the newest stable release. Rust is a systems programming language focused
on safety, speed, and concurrency. As always, you can install Rust 1.4 from the appropriate
page on our website, and check out the detailed release notes for 1.4 on GitHub as well.
About 1200 patches were landed in this release.
2 Likes

At the moment we still have 2 feature gates so require nightly. These will be resolved next week though I hope.

6 Likes

NIce to read it! Stable language for huge crazy and distributed network.

Here we go!

5 Likes

What say you about this:

“Rust is safe indeed but, unfortunately, far from fast. By the moment of writing this article, it is comparable to Java, Go, and Haskell regarding performance:” – Criticizing the Rust Language, and Why C/C++ Will Never Die

A c++ vendor talking of another language and does not seem very balanced at all. In terms of ease of use, safety and speed, then see for yourselves. Rust appears to have all of these. It’s gonna be like that for a while, a good story bad story for every new thing, even bitcoin, safe, electric cars etc. I do not see slow operation at all.

6 Likes

Yes, I cherry picked the article. :blush: To be fair here is a counter example:

“Pretty impressive: the Rust version is actually a tiny bit faster that the C++ version. I double-checked that both the Rust and C++ version use all the CPUs on the machine too.” – The runtime performance of Rust for a simple path tracer — Matt Godbolt’s blog

Lol well it’s not polite to play with people like that

2 Likes