Running the client on Linux

Hi,

First post, I’m new to MaidSafe, having just read about it in ‘The Age of Cryptocurrency: How Bitcoin and Digital Money Are Challenging the Global Economic Order’.

As a Linux user and sys admin, in the past, could anybody comment on whether a GNU/ Linux client will be available for farming and testing? My preferred distros are Debian derived, but i’m fairly comfortable with most.

Probably a silly question, but is anyone from the project, talking to the distros, in order to have the client available straight from the package manager, a little bit like BOINC?

Cheers,

Chris.

1 Like

Definitely, everything here always seems to come out on Linux first. It seems like that is the easiest to develop for, but I’m not a developer. Like, before the fancy gui versions come out, a Linux command line version always is the first thing to be seen.

1 Like

Thanks, both. I look forward to being able to download something.

I wonder whether the client will ever include disk monitoring software, so that the health of the disk/s can be assessed as part of the set up?

Cheers,

Chris.

As you know, in the UNIX\Linux world it’s generally one program - one job
There are good existing disk monitoring/diagnostic programs already so all the client needs to do is make the appropriate calls to these programs. This way we alleviate program bloat and feature creep.

2 Likes

Completely agree!

Thanks for responding.

Chris.

With regard to Ubuntu and opensource spyware I am pretty sure it was Richard Stallman I read pointing out that Canonical has something native in Ubuntu that logs what you do and sends it back for marketing revenue. Sounds like the definition of spyware and similar to what MS is doing with Win 10. If I remember it logs all your directory searches. It is not free(dom) software its open source a lower grade but often lumped together with the free software movement.