RFC Possibility SQRL

This is getting more and more ridiculous…

According to various (mostly accepted) ideas floating around here, a SAFE user would ideally have a farming rig, a separate secure client based on Live CD, and now another layer of authentication (potentially with 3 mobile phones), and a huge list of bookmarks that acts as some sort of medieval DNS system.

Every new idea like that knocks off another 20% of the potential user base.

1 Like

Ideally.
Not as a requirement.
For most people who just want to post about their cats on SAFEbook, running a vault while their computer is on should be enough to do everything they need/want to do on the SAFE network.
The DNS system is a moot point because anyone can implement any system they want. Somebody will forgo traditional DNS for petnames and others will want the more traditional DNS system. There will most likely be an app that simplifies registering to most known DNS systems at the click of a button.

What people are discussing when they say they should have a LiveCD-based SAFE operating system and redundant two factor authentication is a situation where you have something major to lose by a loss of privacy and/or anonymity and/or unauthorized access to your files. Such as a whistle-blower or a political activist and the like.

You don’t seem to get that just because a system or feature is suggested, it does not mean everyone needs to adopt it.

I think I speak for (almost) everyone when I say that when people discuss these things, they aren’t saying “Yeah, I think we should definitely impose this mode of doing things on just about everyone.” but rather they’re exploring the possibility space and seeing which ideas are plausible and where the weaknesses and strengths lie in each proposed way of doing things.

4 Likes

I installed SQRL on my mobile and played around with it a little bit. The setup is really easy. Enter your Masterpassword, write down a 24 digit recovery code and retype it on your SQRL client. [Go to a website with SQRL][1], scan, your asked if this is the website you want to log in too, indicate that you want it with thumbs up, your asked to create an account for that website and your logged in.

Unfortunately I can’t choose my own username in this case:

I also remember Mr Gibson saying that SQRL, uses the url to do it’s hocus pocus. So that might maybe also play a role in a SAFE Network implementation.

I wonder if SQRL can also work if you got an existing account? If so you could login with it on Paypal and still send/receive money.
[1]: http://sqrl-login.appspot.com/

Didn’t you already say that in another topic here some 4-6 weeks ago and someone replied to you saying it doesn’t make sense?

Existing account where?
If PayPal doesn’t implement it, it’s useless for PayPal because I can login directly at PayPal.com without SQRL.

I had missed this topic. If it isn’t too complicated to implement, it would be great!

Why?
If I have my MaidSafe credentials, I can login from anywhere without going on the Internet and with only SAFE being up and running (even quite possibly with HTTP being blocked on all networks that I use).

Hmmm I can’t remember. “it doesn’t make sense” It’s funny if someone would say that, because before you can log into a website with SQRL, you get to see the URL and your asked if that’s the website your trying to login to Thumb down or Thumb up?

But the thing is you don’t see the URL and you can login to your account at any site, so why would the hacker go to the site that makes it hardest to access your data?.