Relationship to isp's

ISP’s are known to keep browsing history and sell information.In other words the meddle in our affairs.Can someone answer if maidsafe keeps our providers from collecting data from us. Case in point. One downloads movie from pirate bay and ISP sends email concerning your violation. Any thoughts???

As far as I understand it all your ISP will see is encrypted data on their network. And your ip address is wiped on the first hope. THey will just know you are downloading data :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Like @bittog9 said, everything is encrypted from bit 0. Your ISP can’t see anything you do. The only thing they see it random data, and even that can be fooled by making it look as some regular data through obfuscation.

5 Likes

I hope so. I’ve already left yahoo mail for their consumer betrayal. Google trying to say they dont do that but thats bs and isp’s are just as guilty.They charge us an arm and a leg to farm us.We actually pay the to rob us of ourselves. Thanx for the input.

3 Likes

There is a company named STARRY that is in the process of becoming an ISP and the man is no fan of intrusion. They already offer a high end wifi router. It is my belief, but yet heard back from them and also is stated that they will not be monitoring any data but only that of log errors and tech support. Combined with Maidsafe, man that would certainly limit intrusion.

2 Likes

The reason you get a notice when you pirate is that anyone can download the torrent and see what ip:s are leeching/seeding. It is probably not your isp doing it but a anti piracy group.

SAFE does not work on IP level so file sharing sites there won’t leak your IP, and therefore you cannot be targeted.

4 Likes

If you download from a hollywood troll, they alert your isp and then your isp takes action against you by first alerting you to your violation and after three your isp throttles your connection and after 6 they disconnect you for the cost of a reconnection fee. ISP’s also collect your surfing history mainly for marketing purposes which even that is intrusion but also to work with local and federal officials for the more sinister and dark motives of others. But today its Islamic terrorist and such, but tomorrow it could be redefined as rightwing terrorist or whomever the new badguy is and thats what concerns me with that. The customer used to have some form of control and now the we pay them to control us. With Obama turning our tech rights to the even more corrupt U.N. it becomes even more imperative to find and develope other means of tech liberty even to the point of a new web uncensored and uncontrolled by the elite.

All the more reason to use a VPN by default.

2 Likes

Not if you live in Europe, where privacy rights are considered more important than copyright (i.e. ISPs won’t hand over user data when they are requested, and if taken to court, they routinely win, is my understanding.)

As for the original question, this thing is designed with the exact purpose to protect us against any kind of snooping by anybody, and that includes a lot more than just your ISP.

3 Likes

Not in Germany, though. If you download a fairly new movie via Torrent, you’re up for a surprise. You have to use a vpn if you wanna use any p2p.

1 Like

Valid. I’m trying to get a feel for maidsafe. The way its set up seems to inherit some of the same characteristics as a vpn.

It isn’t a VPN for the existing internet, but a whole new internet in which everyone has even better protective than with a VPN.

2 Likes

It’s more like an automatically sharded, distributed, and deduplicated (yet redundant) anonymous (yet authenticated) content distribution network, with encrypted transport and storage, and an additional layer of encryption as a proxy for read-only access control. And some more.

You are right in that it has at least some in common with VPNs: the encrypted transport :smirk_cat:

5 Likes

If tech was artwork, I would say this picture is the most beautiful masterpiece that I have seen in my lifetime. This is just a cornerstone to something greater I see coming down the line. Windows, linux and apples days are numbered if what I see coming is accurate. This will change everything! This would slowly eliminate the need for ISP’s correct?

3 Likes

I believe so, if we get a large, reliable decentralized wifi network.

1 Like

I know it’s an old topic, and I hope I’m not bumping something irrelevant, but I thought it made more sense to add it here than creating a new chat.

Would there be a possibility (under pressure of some government for example) that ISPs can (have to) block access to the SAFE network? What use is the network if one can’t access it?

It will be difficult to identify and block SAFE traffic, so we’ll have to see whether they try, and how successful they can be.

Another thing to consider is that the money has not done this. The media houses donate a lot of money to political parties around the world (millions in Australia) in order to influence the laws being made. Even in Australia the only law they got was to have a court decide on blocking a domain name.

From this we can infer that if they cannot get Bittorrent protocol banned (the big money) then there is little chance that they will ban SAFE protocols. (ie block at the ISPs)

What could happen is that a government (eg China) makes it illegal to use the SAFE network and they investigate suspected cases of people using it. This has history in that the governments make it criminally illegal to upload movies etc and can convict the people doing this.

From history we see that governments do not ban protocols (SAFE is a set of protocols) but rather ban the activity that people use the protocols for. Closest we have is movie/media uploading of copyrighted material. (Downloading is still a civil case)

And as @happybeing said the protocols seem the same as other encrypted traffic and difficult to clearly identify and block.

2 Likes