Rebranding MaidSafe For The Mass

Found an interesting website that gives good names - you can restrict the types of results by multiple means and effectively follow @piluso 's marketing suggestions.

https://namelix.com

One that it gave me sounded pretty cool: “SNET” – not too far out from what we’ve been using, short, memorable, could be used for token and network.

lol – “Orwell-net” … just watch the politicians cringe as they try to say that it must be banned.

The Dirvine network, in honor of David + Directories on a vine? lol

SNET is already on CMC. I, personally, think it is of a lot more importance that people look at the competition vigorously and start thinking about what it means to reinvent the internet. A new internet needs a new monetary standard.

2 Likes

I like it. Anything along these lines.

“Free & Fair Internet”

We must ban the free and fair internet

2 Likes

safe:// (network protocol)
safe$ (network currency)

is a top
analogy.

We just ought to drop the -coin

Sadly I think the issue may be with the word Safe infringing a mark.

2 Likes

safecash, datacash, computercash 'CC ?

1 Like

Well, it’s generic
so, while it could be used by others,
cannot be trademarked like a dollar,
it also allows us to use it. In theory,
and unless I am missing something.

Autonymous
Or
The Autonymous Network

A combination of Autonomous and Anonymous wich are the Networks most valuable features.

EXACTLY

Apart from being read
as SAFE Dollar singular
or plural SAFE$ …

it can be also phonetically
interpreted as safe’s (pertaining to safe)
or safe’s as in SAFE is

SAFE$ is indeed playful,
powerful, meaningful, and
self-explaining, immediate…

1 Like

That could only be a single dictionary word or letter.
So just use ‘S’, which is why I posted the greek “sigma” above, or pick a 4 to 6 letter word that starts with ‘S’. (or maybe the letter ‘N’ as it relates to ‘Network’)

As long as we’re still on for SAFENetwork I don’t see a problem. Somebody was looking out for us.

No, far better to use something generic that cannot be trademarked.

Another interpretation is safes like vaults. Vaults run the network and keep things secure.

1 Like

A total rebrand…Don’t think it will happen. But I wouldn’t be against it if is a really good one and has the majority of the support.
I would go for 1 single simple unique word. For example who is ever using the term ‘world wide web’? Everyone just uses ‘internet’ while it’s not always correct. It’s the better name.

I’m against technical/scientific terms in the name, it’s too nerdy. The average Joe on the street has no clue what it is about. So I would favour a more traditional way of naming something. For example name it after the place of birth. Common for people in the past. Totally uncommon in crypto space which is good. So the new network and coin will be born in Ayr probably (very lucky here with the short name). So you could name it ‘Ayronet’ or so. And you send someone 10ayr or 10ayro. Or make up another good sounding word with ‘ayr’ in it.

1 Like

Hey, that’s really nice!

This is the big problem IMO - people are really attached to “Safe Network” and not for any stated reasons, but just IMO, emotional attachment … meaning they aren’t easily going to change their minds no matter how good the rational argument.

1 Like

If SAFE$, why not $AFE? 1 character less to type. Or something like $@F€, because we’re not all from the USA :wink:

3 Likes

SAFE-Credits would simply become credits for people :face_with_monocle:

Easy to talk about and use in every day language

1 Like

" A rose by any other name would smell as sweet "

This project has so much utility, I think we could get away with no name at all.

Just call it the network, powered by network credits, tokens, tickets.

Need to upload more video to the net, dude, you need to get some more network credits.

Psst kids, did you know you can earn network credits by farming out your spare memory.

Other projects need to at least differentiate each other from every other copycat block chain with a cool
name, we don’t.

1 Like

Or S@F€N£T, although maybe not so futureproof :wink:

3 Likes

Rebranding is an expensive, risky, and onerous task. If it can be avoided, I think it should be. Among many other considerations, it would require a thorough and executable launch strategy, updated collateral, updated digital assets, updated messaging, legal review & filings, visual design, etc.

That being said, if it has to happen, Vault could be interesting… While the nerd in me loves them, I also agree that we should avoid overly esoteric names. This is another reason why I think something like Vault could have potential. It’s also nice because it still connects to the branding that exists today (I.e. safety).

A rebrand could be a good opportunity to reduce the complexity of too many names. Trying to explain the difference between MaidSafe, SAFE Network, MAID, Safecoin, etc. is unnecessarily cumbersome. There are many entities related to Ethereum, but they manage to keep the naming simple.

6 Likes