Raspberry Pi OS (64-bit) , for farming, and more

I had great success with the new official release of Raspberry Pi OS (64-bit), I think it deserves it’s own thread for the google algorithm.

I was very please with how easy it was to install rust, and build the network software this time around.

Full brain dump here… for future farmers.

https://forum.autonomi.community/t/online-folahts-ipv4-comnet-in-a-rootfull-podman-container-0-55-1-0-54-0-0-47-0/36377/147?u=zoki

also had no issues with running an ubuntu docker image - i’m sure I’ve had issues in the past… it’s just so painless.

If you have a pi4, upgrade to 64bit asap.

Edit: To add… i’m booting my pi from an 500GB SSD. Nice little machine.

13 Likes

What ssd did you go for @zoki was thinking of buying one soon?

1 Like

Full specs…

Here’s the 500GB

The case I use,

and the expansion to that case to connect the ssd,

I also have a 1TB machine.

The little card in the case delivery has the following link… to a script
that will install the case fans. You can set a fan profile to turn fans on
at % strenght at different temperatures.

https://download.argon40.com/argon1.sh

Here is my machine…

edit: Well… the youtube algorithm just hit me with this beauty.

I’d like to eventually be able to put together a plug n play farming rig to gift to family and friends.

This 16TB monster is very tempting.

I’m going to need a nice vinyl sticker design.

@happybeing would be great to have vdash on that mini display for a dedicated farming rig.

9 Likes

Nice setup :+1:t2: I’ve got my pi4, case and fan so will be getting an external usb ssd. No rush for me but was just trying to see what others are using.

2 Likes

Are you guys able to find Pi’s in the UK, it feels like shopping for a GPU over here in the US.

1 Like

I get mine from…

Looks like there is a shortage in Europe.

Which is kindoff good news, I hope the pi shipped is the new version, not the ones suffering from this USB-C power issue.

Buying online is risky, they don’t tell you the revision number.

1 Like

Same expected dates here with a one per order limit, even seen one per month limits.

1 Like

oh… I hear about “The chip shortage” in the news and don’t pay much attention as I have all the chips I need at home.

Did a bit of google…

What a cost rise!!!

1 Like

Here’s a pic of the latest toy I’ll be testing farming on.

The new Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W.
It has the same processor as the Pi3 series.
Powerful little thing. There’s no real limit on sd card size for the pi zeros these days, you could have a dedicated keychain sized 1tb farming rig.

I’ve got this nice aluminium key chain heatsink case. There are some nice YouTube videos showing the case really does keep your pi zero amazingly cool.

All I need now is some cool vinyl SAFENetwork stickers.

This could probably be the cheapest farming rig you could gift, maybe put in a corporate goody bag.

7 Likes

Can you give rough costs for example setups? Also power needs?

4 Likes

Pi Zero requires 2.5A at 5V The PSU will be bigger than the actual kit.
I’d like to see a project to build a PSU rig that will power multiple Pis and/or Arduinos

EDIT I could run 4 Pis from this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Variable-Digital-Adjustable-Regulated-Switching/dp/B08MXK4T6Z/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1AZKICIAASH8N&keywords=bench+psu+10a&qid=1644503971&sprefix=bench+PSU%2Caps%2C74&sr=8-6

3 Likes

Please correct my calculations if wrong.

Max Power = 5V * 2.5 = 12.5 Watts
Daily Kilowatt-hour=(12.5*24)/1000=0.3 kWh
Cost to run per day at max power = 0.3 * 20p = 6 pence

Average price per kWh found from random google.

So… in short.

GBP 28.75 + p&p to buy the setup.

Then 6p per day to run it. ( Which would usually be far lower if not running it maxed out )

This pi zero 2 w is probably a good candidate for a solar powered farming rig.

Can this project get any greener?!!!

For fun, I started to wonder how much power I output every day…

So, assuming that 100 watts is constant… thats 2.4 kWh I produce.

I output 50 pence of energy per day.

I could run 9 of these rigs, if I could somehow plug them in to me.

Edit: If anyone can recommend a mini solar power kit with battery that can output to usb,
i’ll have a go at running a solar powered farming rig.

4 Likes

Running through a few options.

Could have one of these on an outside south facing wall / shed roof… run the power in to a usb power pack that would be on charge all the time, and power the pi zero from that.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09B95QZXK/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BigBlue-Charger-Digital-Ammeter-Motorola/dp/B09GJLDG3V/

3 Likes

I think I’ll try a Pi Zero on my boat. I’ve recently set up a dedicated 4G hotspot so connectivity should be uninterrupted :crossed_fingers: and the power could well pay for itself in winter, 100% solar for about half the year. Thanks for the info.

7 Likes

Something like this + old car battery could be really cheap independent setup for the Raspberries.

3 Likes

100 watts… nice.

Do you have experience with car batteries? What would the setup look like? How safe is it?

Why choose a car battery over a chargeable usb power bank?

Old car batteries are cheap, but they don’t like a lot of charging/discharging, so you’d get through them quite quickly if they drain at night. I don’t think they are a worse fire risk than Li-ion batteries, but not sure about that. A quick duckduck came up blank.

2 Likes

Providing you don’t discharge more than 20% of capacity (less the better) a lead acid car battery might do the trick, but in general they need care or they won’t last long, so full recharge for hours every day, which means they aren’t ideal for Solar especially in UK unless you use Solar first and mains (or a generator) to finish the charge which takes a long time.

Lithium are much easier to manage and more efficient. They cost about the same for the same useable capacity because you can use 100% of a Lithium battery’s capacity, and don’t have to charge it up fully. You do need a proper battery manager for this, because they must have min/max voltage levels respected or they will be damaged.

I switched from 450Ah of 12v lead acid batteries to a single 115Ah 12v LiFePO4 Lithium battery last year and while the cost of replacing the Lead Acid was about the same as the smaller Lithium, they are equivalent for my use (usually 60 to 80 Ah in a day) and the quicker charging for the Lithium means I’m saving money (faster charging from Solar or generator means I can use more Solar when the sun is shining, and about half the time running the engine for a similar charge, than with lead acid). The Lithium will probably last 20% to 30% longer than the Lead Acid too.

7 Likes

I’m hoping the standard usb banks sold to consumers have that built in.

1 Like

Typically consumer Lithium batteries have a charging circuit built in that expects 5v input (from USB) and drops it to 3.7v for charging. Ideally this also has a temperature sensor cut out to prevent a very intense fire :fire:

4 Likes