Raspberry pi 2 farm rig

hi farmers . i need a little advice

is it good to use a raspberry pi 2 to build a farm rig ?

let me say raspberry pi 2 x4
D-Link DGS-105 - 5x Gigabit (1000 Mbps) Netwerk Switch
power usb hub x4
external hard drive 1t x4
and last what is the best program on the pi to do this ?

thx

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum :+1:

this topic might help:

I’m in the exact same boat with x2 rigs, nothing released yet so I’ going to wait until I start setting it all up…

1 Like

which program u going to use ubuntu? windows 10 pi ?

RAM and CPU MIGHT be a bottle neck for so much data but that depends on several factors. Running many vaults (which is suggested to maximize income) will be somewhat difficult with you setup. Soon you’ll be able to run tests though. :wink:

1 Like

hope we can test soon yeah that’s the question ram and cpu can be a bottle neck on the pi. i also lookt at the INTEL Barebone i3-6100U 4xUSB3.0 but the price is kind of high :confused:

Have you checked out the winbook tablets with baytrail quad core processors. They come as cheap as $60 US. Some others that fit the bill are the hp stream and Toshiba encores. I favor the winbook because of the usb 3.0.

1 Like

thx for the advice .never saw the winbook tablet .seems like a good device for only 60$ .i have the Acer Aspire Switch 10 E SW3-013- also a very good divice (.hybrid) but no ethernet port on tablets :confused: and also for the farm on maidsafecoin i want to run 24/7 like a do right now to mine scrypt

1 Like

not sure yet, didn’t know you could run ubuntu on a pi 2, if yes then for stability I think that would be my first choice, not much experience with windows 10 PI, might have a look when to comes to it…

ubuntu on the pi :slight_smile:
i think we all need to work together to find the best solution on making a good farming rig

3 Likes

Dude, the link @polpolrene gave you is just for that. Jump on it and continue the discussion. You could also help by aggregating the data on that thread and put it in one neat post or thread.

1 Like

Do you guys think a MinnowBoard MAX would be a good host computer for mining? For 139 dollars you have 2 GB of ram and an Intel Atom E3800. I think this would most likeley eliminate the bottle necks. Its also has a SATA 3 port, a USB 3.0 port, and a USB 2.0 port which could be used for hard drives. I it also only requires small amounts of power.

1 Like

What about Raspberry pi 3,whose specs are out but will be released soon. Looks like it has 1gb ram, on board Bluetooth and Wifi!!
Edit:It’s going to be released this Monday, the 29th!

1 Like

The MinnowBoard sounds like a winner to me. Also it’s 64bit so KVM for VM’s would work.

3 Likes

I also looked at the ODROID-XU4 and I think this may be a better option. It has 2 GB of ram, and an octa core processor. 2 USB 3.0 ports and 1 USB 2.0 port. It only costs 74 dollars. So basically half the price for the same thing.

2 Likes

think the best thing is to wait …and see the best option later on. before investing money in something we are not sure .hope they come fast with the 32 version …so i can test the pi 2 …its only 32.99 it’s more likely to have separate devices .than have 1 single unit to farm maidsafecoin i think

3 Likes

In all honesty, we’re not going to see vaults for a while.

That being said, I got a dedicated bare metal hosted server for my own personal use, and when they _do_come out, you can bet that any free space on that will be taken up by a vault.

Also there are some discussions about an off-the-shelf, farming-ready machine. This would be sweet as!

4 Likes

What about cloud a cloud VM? I guess disk space would become bottleneck or at least be a limiting factor for size.

We’ve run community networks in the past using various “cloud” VMs. So its not a problem except cost.