Random music inspired by discussion about multilingualism

8 Likes
1 Like

25 languages, who does better?

Edit: of course it can be better: Despacito in 40 Different Languages!
And World Record – Australian Sings 145 Languages In 1 Song - Ăn Đu Đủ Is Not A Polyglot. Even Vlaams and Flemish but which 2 exactly of the many, many dialects?

5 Likes

Nice! I can’t do better than that.
But I think it’s funny these guys are actually Serbs.
Orthodox Celts!

2 Likes

The theatrical group Die Antwoord have actively been fighting racism is South Africa. They rap in a mixture of languages. Not for all tastes, but I especially like the intro:

[Ninja]
Check it
I represent South African culture
In this place, you get a lot of different things:
Blacks, whites, coloreds, English, Afrikaans, Xhosa, Zulu, watookal
I’m like… all these different things, all these different people
Fucked into one person

Nach bhfuil sé Ceilteach ach amháin má tá sé Gaelach.

2 Likes

I have a somewhat eclectic (some say terrible) taste in music :laughing:

EDIT I felt like adding this here at the top as a piece of contemporary history from Hong Kong:

Let’s start with two sides of more traditional Japanese music.

Thailand

Sweden

France

Vietnam

Israel

Korea

Philippines

Where the covers are usually better than the originals.

United States

Zimbabwe

Arabic

I don’t know where she’s from.

Japan

Ethiopia

Taiwan

Russia

Finally, a true gem from Thailand again. I recommend listening to it in a loop.

2 Likes

Just a random interjection, but is there a messaging app that translates? It seems so simple and obvious but I never really heard of any.

Or a website discussion board that shows everything in your language, but you’re speaking to millions of people who speak other languages.

Might be a clustermess :joy: of misunderstandings, but it seems like a useful messenger app even just for text messages, so you can speak with anyone in the world.

Maybe on SAFE, ultimately. Using some neural-net that always improves itself based on some sort of user rating system.

Sad that things like Reddit channels seem to be separated into only be native English speakers, etc

2 Likes

While not fully automatic, Google has a plug-in that shows a pop-up once you select some text in a language it thinks is not one you speak. Google Translate is good enough that I could hold an in-depth conversation on Twitter about the Hong Kong situation with a high-school student from mainland China.

I don’t know where to start explaining just why it is so utterly hopeless. Dig a bit into NLP and you’ll see it for yourself.

2 Likes

The truth is I don’t listen to music much at all. But this is becoming a fun thread! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This one is from Denmark.
The singer/songwriter happens to be my cousin. Not the actress, though.

1 Like

not sure where this is from, but it is so good

3 Likes

You might like that too, friend:

5 Likes