Quick question on Rust

The languages currently supported are listed here:

Others will be added, or you can write your own wrappers for the api and push them to github above.

I’m not familiar with the current frameworks, but any will do that target the platforms you need (e.g. Windows, OSX, Linux, Android etc). The code runs on the user’s computer/device, so that’s your target.

1 Like

Yay! That’s me!-----------------------

2 Likes

great question, I was wondering this as well.

But an understanding in Rust should at least give you a solid understanding of how your (C++, C#, Java, Python, etc) SAFE app should interface and work with the Network, right? For the backend stuff

1 Like

What is it about Rust that allows two orders of magnitude reduction in lines of code? (not rhetorical) It’s incredible! I’ve seen comparisons of Nim and Rust and Nim seemed a bit shorter. However I would have suspected Rust and C++ to be about the same, so this is a radical mindblow for me…I’ve never coded in C++, only python, Bash, JS, VB, Fortran, and early basic, so no clue why they’d be so different.

1 Like

One really big difference is many things we had to write are included. It’s like a modern language “batteries included”. Add to this the simple mechanism to share code amongst projects (the cargo package manager) and basically it means real open source.

For instance networking and file io are obvious things included. These may appear in c++ 2017/20 or just now in boost (a 2M loc project). Rust also has a pretty powerful standard library that includes iterators (like python) so you can reduce a ton e of code and use functional style code vector.iter().map(|&x| x ^ x).step().take().collect() which would be a lot longer in imperative style. Then you have Haskell like monadic behaviour with Option and Result types and matching.

Interesting though add to that no more debugging undefined behaviour or read after free or data races and not only is code faster, but debugging (the longest part) is also reduced. When compiled efficiency is very favourable so you end up with more secure, faster to produce (write and debug) codebase.

Importantly for me you also have a code base easier for folks to interact with, package publish and maintain for the future. We took a risk, it worked out really nice for us and we call win I feel.

5 Likes

I decided to poke the Rust bear last night by posting my notes on learning Rust and what I like and dislike coming from a C++ perspective. It may of interest here.

https://plus.google.com/+nialldouglas/posts/AXFJRSM8u2t

8 Likes

could you send me all the codumentation and resources you said you have? I am really intrested in this language before I learn about safe

can you repost it somewhere else?
google plus is no more

1 Like

Learn Rust - Rust Programming Language Great place to start

4 Likes

thank I have given it a look, I was into getting some resources that I would then be able to choose what best fits me!

That post was four years ago so I could dig this out but I think it would be better to ask in the Rust community than at my for year old notes.

2 Likes

allrighty then! you are right back then it wasnt 1.0 even right?