Questions about withdrawling maid from my bitcoin QT wallet

Hi folks. I have some maid in several different wallet addresses, in my bitcoin QT/core wallet on my pc. Do I need to have a small amount of bitcoin on each of those addresses as well for sending purposes, or is it as long as there is enough in the wallet itself?

Also how much btc do I need for each withdrawal? (sending of maid somewhere else).

And finally, I read somewhere some time ago that the btc address that the maid was sent to originally in the QT wallet needed to be an address that started with a certain number or something of the sort. Can someone verify this is correct for me please or elaborate what that was about.

Thanks everyone.

I normally use around 70 cent to send MAID. So that would be around ~0.00005 BTC

2 Likes

Just bumping this thread to see if there’s anyone here who knows the answers to my post, or can point me to the right person/place who does.

There is a omni core that uses BTC core and you can send/receive MAID using it.

Yes you need some BTC at the actual address the MAID is at.

1 Like

Ok so I need to send a small amount of btc to each of the addresses in the same btc wallet of mine? I cant just have the bitcoin in any address on the same wallet?

1 Like

correct. . . .

The omni protocol sends a BTC transaction and the data field contains the OMNI transaction. So the BTC has to be at the actual address

2 Likes

Ok thanks. And are you familiar with the last question I had in my original post, where the maid needed to be sent to an address that started with a certain letter or number, or something of the sort when it was sent to my btc qt wallet originally? I do not remember where I read something about that on this forum but I do recall something of the sort, and I want to head off any challenge I might have here before proceeding if there is one.

At first it had to be legacy addresses (1xxxx). Some say it will work with 3xxxx addresses. But I think it cannot be lightning addresses or something like that

2 Likes

Fyi.
Ive never had issues personally with any addresses qt has generated for me .

Maybe it produces acceptable addresses normally unless you instruct it otherwise.

Thanks guys. Is there anywhere on this forum that has the instructions of how to properly receive maid into a btc qt wallet, and also how to properly send maid form a qt wallet to omni?

1 Like

Ill look now, but receive is as simple as create receive address ( consider afore mentioned criteria ). And send coins to it.

Send is also simple but ill look for link now.

( takes a while for confirms dependant on fees used, but ive nvr had issues )

You need the OMNI QT core. It piggybacks on the BTC QT core.
the data field needs to be properly formatted for the transaction to be a OMNI protocol transaction.

The web wallet omniwallet can do the sending and receiving. Of course its wiser to use it to send all your omni & btc since there is a small possibility of some hack somewhere to capture your login details

1 Like

Personally i use omniwallet, but to each their own.
You dont need to mess with formatting and it works pretty much like a reg wallet.

Just need to extract pvt keys and import to omniwallet, for safety i wouldnt leave coin on an add id imprted there though unless as a watch only add.

Im unsure if omni qt instructions are in that link i shared.

Ok thanks guys. I will have to look into the omni QT option as its the first i’ve heard of it. Is it a download client from the omni website or something of the sort?

Also I am not sure how to recognize if the addresses I am holding my maid on are legacy or not. I am pretty sure I made the addresses around 2016 or 2017 but i’m not 100% sure on this. How can I be certain the addresses are safe?

Bones, in response to this: “Just need to extract pvt keys and import to omniwallet, for safety i wouldnt leave coin on an add id imprted there though unless as a watch only add.”

I am not quite sure what you meant by “on an add id imported there”. I will guess that you meant once i send my maid there after importing the private keys, that I should be concerned with the potential of what is still in the btc qt wallet being stolen because of the private key now on omni. If there is other concerns here or this is not correct please elaborate for me.

And in response to neo: “The web wallet omniwallet can do the sending and receiving. Of course its wiser to use it to send all your omni & btc since there is a small possibility of some hack somewhere to capture your login details”

To see if i’m getting you right, you are stating its wiser to use the OMNI QT core for this reason?

Pretty sure they were all 1xxxx addresses back then

omniwallet.org is a site that is an online wallet for the omni protocol. You can import your private key and do transactions using it. IE send/receive MAID. Only need private key if sending. Can just look at an address balance without even logging in

to send/receive MAID you either use the online wallet or omni qt core. the core is safer only because using any online wallet has an additional risk over your private key. Omniwallet.org though does not store private keys unencrypted and requires your login to decrypt them on your own machine

I’ve never studied omni or counterparty deeply. I was wondering if the omni token is associated with the address or with a particular utxo stored at the address. I’m guessing it must (somehow) be the former because if the latter, then one could mistakenly send that utxo out of the wallet when performing a non-omni tx… just because wallet (eg bitcoin-core) will typically grab utxo’s from various addresses to satisfy the spend amount.

So I guess the only way I could see it working if based on utxo is that omni wallets are expected to be used only in the context of omni tx, and never as a “regular” bitcoin wallet.

just thinking out loud and hoping someone here (neo?) knows the answer.

Ok thanks. So I am aware of omni wallet online, I actually have an account with some maid on it from another source, not my btc wallet. But omni core sounds like a client wallet you download and host in your own pc, is that correct? And if yes do I get that client from omni website?

There are a few ways to import addresses to omniwallet.

Watch only - only impirt pub key to see info.
Spend / use address - import pvt key.

So if youve impirted your pvt key, its good practise not to leave value on that address.
Where as its fine if only impirting pub key.

Ok got it. So the private keys are address specific then, not wallet specific?

1 Like

Correct.

I believe this is the link for omnicore qt, id advise another aporoval though.

https://www.omnilayer.org/

Its afaik trickier than a normal wallet, but it does save exposing pvt keys potentially.