Question about SAFE Network

Hello All,

I just recently found out about SAFE Network and I found the idea very attractive! I am a master student from RMIT who is on the verge of completing the program with my last few courses. After reading through the documents and wiki and programming a bit in rust, I do have few questions on how SAFE Network actually works.

1. After I register, where do launcher store my secret code? In Wiki it is mentioned it won’t be sent to network, but if it isn’t somewhere on the internet…how am I going to access it when I try from different device/country?

2. There is no control over the accounts, means if I manage to forget my secret code…I won’t be able to access my storage forever. But if more people start forgetting their code, or if they do it intentionally… the SAFE Network will be full of trash data that no one will ever use. Won’t this effect its performance?

3. For the countries like China, where they block most international softwares such as Google/Youtube/Facebook, is SAFE Network going to be unusable as well? As for example, I can’t log into SAFE Network from RMIT University’s Wifi Network.

Thanks!

11 Likes

RMIT… ahh fellow Melbournian. Welcome.
Someone will come along shortly to assist you :slight_smile: Just thought i’d say Hi.

2 Likes

Ahhh how lovely and kind of you… I learned a new word Melbournian today too…my English is just keep on improving!

1 Like

Nowhere

The credentials are used to generate the address of your account info and to be able to decrypt it. So your “secret code” is never stored anywhere

Correct[quote=“Iliyar_Yi, post:1, topic:12938”]
But if more people start forgetting their code, or if they do it intentionally… the SAFE Network will be full of trash data that no one will ever use.
[/quote]

There may be developed methods to help with this issue.

As to filling up SAFE, please spend time in the forum searching for this.

Basically it is expected that storage will be “forever” increasing and the “trash” issue only a minor part of the storage.

Reason: There (should) will be an increasing number/size of vaults and technology over the years has seen drive sizes increasing 10 times every 5 years. That should see a steady increase in average vault size too.

Traffic will appear as normal encrypted traffic (https) to many IP addresses and thus very difficult to identify.

6 Likes

Thanks for the reply neo!
As you said my secret code is stored in Nowhere. But when I use my secret code it must’ve compare it to an existing data in order to match me up to my space? I know it will be encrypted but where is the encrypted data stored at? and how it is going to know what to decrypt?

1 Like

Also FYI there is a Maidsafe Asia you may want to make contact http://maidsafe.asia/contact/

This is saying that your credentials generate the address of your account info. So it doesn’t store anything anywhere, just asks the network for the data at that address. There are also generated in the program’s variable area (RAM) info to valididate the request and to decode the data.

Thus its not stored anywhere, the credentials are not sent anywhere, just used by the program on your computer to request data and then to decode it resulting in your account info.

The trick is that the credentials are processed by the program on your computer to produce that address, so there is no need to send the credentials over the network for some other computer/node to work out if its valid. Its valid if you retrieve the data from the address and can decode it. So no need to store the credentials, the credentials generate the required address/parameters to get the account info and decode it.

3 Likes

It works something like… Your credentials:

• keyword
  • pin
  • password

Your data on the network consists of:

• every file you stored, chopped up into chunks which are encrypted on your device before each chunk is sent to a random address on the network based on the ‘hash’ of the chunk
  • a data map, which is the only record of where the chunks are and how to decrypt them, which is itself stored in the network after being encrypted.

When you log in, your keyword and pin are used to determine an effectively random address on the network, which is where your encrypted data map will be/is stored. So the map is then retrieved, and decrypted with your password.

So now you have the data map and the keys you need to access and decrypt your files.

For more detail look up self encryption, invented by MaidSafe. This is the first ever decentralised network that allows login without any servers, and without your credentials ever leaving your machine. Awesome huh! :slight_smile:

8 Likes

In this page you can find some of its main features:

.-Self-Authentication: Login without server. Your credentials never leaving your machine

.-Self-Encryption: Convergent encryption plus obfuscation layer.

.-Total distributed network: Not only decentralised like blockchain solutions. Possibility of unlimited growth. (The actual Internet and that of the following centuries). Opportunistic cache which prevents network overruns in high demand and speed the network.

.-Data redundancy and self-repair. Immune to DDoS attacks. As the Self-Encryption is convergent encryption, prevents the existence of more copies, except the standard redundancy, of the same file saving network space.

And more…

.- A Key-value Redis style database with a broad permission control thanks to Mutable data.

.-App infrastructure at no-cost. With a good software you can compete with the bigger companies.

.-Extremely secure. All private data are encrypted by source. Your IP is scrub at first hop.

7 Likes