Question about remote devices and communicating between them

I was not sure where to ask this and didn’t find an answer elsewhere.

I saw that one of the possible initial applications would be messaging. This suggested that I could write an app that sent data between two logins that happened to login on different utility devices (eg Pi).or PC

I realise that SAFE is not tied to devices and keeps independent of them, so this would be something at the application level and capable of using IO ports on any suitable computer it used. For example send serial data from the serial port on one computer to the serial port on the other computer.

My question is multi part

1. Would this be reasonably possible? I am guessing that if messaging can be done so can this, it is after all just a special case of messaging.

2. What are the implications with PUT charges, do they occur and if they do what is the process used for messaging.

3. I am thinking that by using SAFE I would not need to know where the 2nd login is located in the world, just their ??ID. Is this correct? Can the ID be either the public or private?

4. On another note, if I PUT a file 10KBytes of data or 1MBytes, is it the same cost and will it cost 1 coin to put any amount of data upto the cutoff for one coin. OR will it keep a tally and when enough file data is written so that it reaches the cutoff for one coin then the coin is charged. NOTE: I would expect the coin to be charged on the first byte, but when is the 2nd coin charged? On the 2nd small file PUT or when the PUTs exceed the one coin amount of data.

Messaging and email will probably be part of the SAFE App Launcher. You can register a public name on the network, just like a username here on the forum. So when you chat, you just type the the name of the person and you will find it. To send a file directly over chat (just like Skype) wouldn’t be that efficient. It’s more efficient to upload the file private to the network and share the key with a person. That way he’ll download the file from different sources over different “pipes” in the network. No matter if you are online or not.

I am thinking of the messaging for very low speed, think of a IoT device running linux with safe that is sensing very low speed data, eg temp every 5 minutes and the other IoT device wants it anyhow. Not worthy of a file, but I did read that messaging will “send” files by simply sending the keys.

So what process is used for messaging work, unfortunately I have got to that part yet. A basic method is all I am after, an indication really.

Check docs for anything related to messaging and MPID in particular (maidsafe public keys) which covers all public persona work (known and anonymous).

2 Likes

I think that shouldn’t be any problem. Both devices register a public name, and after that they can find each other on the network. Another option is that both have their own private website, they only share access with the 2 of them, and every 5 min. they’ll read each others website with updates. to PUT some data to the network, some RAM would be very helpful for that. So they join SAFE, farm a bit, make some SAFEcoin etc.

2 Likes

I was under the impression messaging/email would be a feature of Lifestuff, I could be wrong though and I also thought that no matter how or where from you send a file it is always sent as a data map

Anyone able to answer or point me to the correct DOCs. Or is this still in flux? I either missed this or not yet found it anywhere.

Thank you for helping my understanding of safe operations.

questions 1 & 3 were answered by David @dirvine here

Thank you

Read this thread:

Thanks for the link, there was a post that quoted David and Happybeing which seems to have answered the question of PUT charges.

It would seem that each coins buys you a certain amount of space and you can use it now/later and the system works out how much space for how much coin based on the going rate at the time you use it.

And this confirms it