Punk Rock Internet

Great article, it is what has brought me here today to join the community.
Thanks to all at Maidsafe .

14 Likes

similarly, it was the first I heard about the network, so here I am. thanks!

12 Likes

53 new users have signed up for the forum today so far.

13 Likes

@upstate why did you change your profile’s picture? :slightly_frowning_face: :joy:

3 Likes

Yes I am all for secure as opposed to safe, although the recursive algo is interesting, it could be a bit geeky, I don’t know.

7 Likes

I previously thought that the geek factor would be great by having “SAFE is for SAFE Access For Everyone.” But doing that just pays homage to GNU and Stallman, which I don’t think is necessary for SAFE. While the SAFE philosophy draws upon some GNU/free as in freedom ideas, the SAFE philosophy also surpasses GNU in many many many ways. Offering SAFE as GPL3 is more than enough for alluding to that concept. I’m of the opinion that the original “Secure Access For Everyone” is perfect/superior; both by its clarity in terms of defining the project and due to the fact that it appeals to professionalism rather than geekiness. Just my 0.02Ꞩ for now.

6 Likes

I have a Wikipedia article ready - just need to work out how to get it past the gatekeepers. If anyone has any experience let me know!

11 Likes

Nice to hear!
Unfortunately I’ve no experience with writing nor updating Wikipedia articles.
ps: If you haven’t done it already, you could also reference to the following quality Dutch article. Maybe it helps to pass the gatekeepers. Here the Google translation to English, so that you know what it says.

1 Like

Thanks - I hadn’t referenced that one (my Dutch being a bit rusty*) but I will.
* Non-existent

1 Like

Definitely think you hit the nail on the head there. I’ll need someone to explain to me what the difference is between Blockstack, Substratum, Storj, and all the other blockchain-based solutions claiming to decentralize the internet by giving you a “stronger” password you probably won’t remember.

2 Likes

It was a really good article, and, like many others today, that`s how I found you, and joined. Really pleased to be here…!!

14 Likes

the article just made it to slashdot :
https://m.slashdot.org/story/336859

5 Likes

They are a cynical old bunch in there, aren’t they? :smile:

3 Likes

They always have been, used to be much better at ripping stuff to bits, everything, even bitcoin at the start and now anything crypto :smiley:

1 Like

I think this chap needs an answer from Mr Irvine! Unless he’s already writing one up!)

3 Likes

Wow - 13 pages of comments… 391 and counting! :star_struck:

In had only read the article and stopped there… some good reading material to wash down with a glass of wine on a Friday evening! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I became aware of blockstack through a ted or tedx talk on YouTube. I think David or Nick could or should do the same, down the road of course. Far too much happening atm.

Done. (20 chars) …

12 Likes

Made it to the Futurology subreddit too:

Some of the people that have commented in there could definitely do with some education if anyone has time?

Great article btw. Well done David and Maidsafe for getting this exposure.

10 Likes