Public ID's (Discussion)

So basically you are saying that the popular (singular) words/names should be registered already when the network goes live and that way no one can register them for themselves?

With some discussions on how to do this, I think its a very interesting idea.

It would make google choose a name other than just “google” and microsoft cannot get “windows” And I like that idea.

1 Like

I just finished making a website after writing up those thoughts.
It looks like the safe dns puts the pubid as the domain extension,
and has whatever the user wants for the website name as the prefix.
So I guess this idea doesn’t really work? I’ll need you or others to clarify…

p.s.

Not only popular words. Every single word known to humankind and currently listed in world dictionaries at launch.

EDIT:
It just struck me that if this kind of safe dns system is feasible, then the landing page for a single word pubID could start as just a standard dictionary definition of that word in whatever language it was written followed by a wiki index for extended or “sub pub” IDs that could grow from there. This would be an interesting dataset to use during beta testing. You might be able to have a competition to see if anyone could damage network security enough to delete a word. At network launch the genesis data in SAFE ends up being an immutable dictionary of all global languages… unified in binary. Wait a second, this theme is starting to sound vaguely familiar…

“Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.”

That was probably the first time in my life I’ve quoted scripture… eh don’t judge me I’m still a scientist… my mother would be proud. :sunglasses:

8 Likes

Don’t forget that none of this actually matters tho,

Because anyone can set up a decentralized DNS pet name system that others could subscribe to,

And therefore all of those safe://math and safe://anything become usable again

It’s just about which one offers the real sites, that the people want, at the most appropriate links

3 Likes

This is quite impressive.

1 Like

I’m very impressed with your ideas @jlpell, you are already adding a lot to this community, and coming up with an original idea in this hotly debated topic earns double respect.

I don’t know if I like it or not yet, but it’s still great, if that makes sense :slight_smile:

5 Likes

True, anyone could, but if the original is well defined I think people would stick with it by consensus or laziness. It becomes the safe reference dns. Having lot’s of pet names does give infinite reusability and I understand its benefit, but it does lead to higher complicatedness. I think there is a lot of value to having some kind of reference point via a unified safe dns “language” that is consistent for all users across all apps. SAFE network would be able to do this in an equitable and non-centralized way after genesis. That way, when I tell someone “hey go checkout the updates at safe://apps.whiteoutmashups” there is no confusion based on what version or flavor of app they have chosen. I also don’t need to worry about someone squatting “safe://cats” or “safe://moose” for all eternity since there is still a decent chance I could get “safe://moose.jlpell” or “safe://sometimes.cats-eat-food-all-day”. It’s a lot more complicated to say “hey go download petnamingsystem-v0.905.tgz, install it, run it, give it authorization, then find me at safe://cats”. Seems like using human language as a safe reference system would be a neat compromise that everyone might be able to agree on and it would constrain domain squatting to some degree but still allow for it at the same time…

One good example of using a reference system and also having pet customizations is how the gentoo portage package manager works. There is a standard reference package tree that people trust, but the system also allows for easy customization via “overlays” created by either the user or downloaded from others. It’s a really nice user friendly and customizable system that the safe dns standards could draw from for inspiration.

1 Like

Could you elaborate on this

Of course that’s not how they will be named, or referred to. No need to create false arguments. There’s intelligent options instead

Yes here’s a few good links from over the years:

2 Likes

I was just thinking more about this kind of “public reserve” for the Public IDs based on single dictionary words and collections of well-known common proper names (priscilla, elvis, troon, boston, sydney, etc)…

It would appear that proceeding in the same manner that things are handled on alpha 2, the dictionary based system I suggested would mean that you could never have anything like:

safe://hotdog.hotdog
or
safe://hot.dog
or
safe://not.hotdog

Since hotdog, hot, not, and dog are all reserved by the system due to being single words in the english dictionary they would use the root addresses safe://hotdog, safe://hot, safe://not, or safe://dog as the location for the hypothetical MaidSafe Foundation “public reserve” information.

However, you could have :
safe://hotdog.nothotdog or safe://hotdog.not-hotdog

Since nothotdog is not-in-a-dictionary and would be a valid Public ID for someone to claim. This situation would fit fine with the way the webhosting manager is working now and so individuals would choose where they end up in the public “safe unified directory organizer” or SUDO (linux copycat but sounds better than SUDS for now until there is a better moniker) when they type in the name of their “service”. However it would likely mean that people would need to use weird spelling, l33t speech, @ symbols, or hyphenated multi-word publicIDs in order for things to be valid. Although this will not likely be an issue considering some of the user names on this forum.

Maybe the MaidSafe Foundation would be in control of the dictionary based sites at first, providing an initial wiki type page with multisig keys that would allow the community to manage those domains much like the Wikimedia Foundation does with wiki pages etc. Maybe not. I think there are a lot of different options though that could make sense…

Some of this would address the concerns posted here.

(Apologies for the pied piper joke references.)