PtP, PtD, and/or Pt* Megathread - Pros and Cons

Your problem is only inevitable if it’s both profitable and more profitable than using the cloud to do something else such as ‘farm’ Safe Network tokens.

Many who object to Pt* (not you) look at this, say X will happen so there’s no point trying which is not a good way to make decisions. The point you make is valid, but wrong in its conclusion because it’s only valid for certain assumptions. We all know people will try to game this, but that doesn’t mean they will be able to, and even if they do we may still be able to fix it.

Hardly ever does someone objecting seem to recognise the potential benefits if we can make it work. They don’t go, if only we could make this work it would give us P, Q and R so I’m going to figure out ways for this to succeed. That may be because they don’t agree in principle, or it doesn’t feel right to them for one reason or another, or they’ve just not thought about or been convinced there are benefits to be had.

For me it’s important to try because it gives us a chance to move away from what I see as problematic or poisonous business models: advertising, gatekeepers, attention driven algorithms embodied in everything from Facebook
to celebrity culture, and the winner takes all music industry.

The more we can give individuals ways to earn which avoid the need for them to engage with those systems, the less power those systems and those with money to set them up or buy them out will have, the less attractive they become when someone sits down and thinks: how can I make some money from my creativity?

Imagine if all they have to do is check a box in the Safe Network app, no need to sign up to a gatekeeper’s business model and have them cream off the profits, no need to give up any freedoms or jump through hoops designed by people who don’t have the same priorities and don’t care if they meet your needs.

That’s important to me because it’s democratising, and directly feeds into the importance of universal access for creators and consumers, one of the fundamental goals of Safe Network. Maybe we can’t achieve this, maybe some don’t agree it’s a good thing to try but then I wonder why they’re here. I’m keen that we should explore the possibilities and decide once we know what’s possible and what’s not, and can attempt to weigh the pros and cons rather than drop the idea prematurity.

That’s the most fun thing about development, and life, for me, trying to come up with something new, or to solve a hard problem. I love it! I’m not sure many people get that because if they knew how much fun solving something like this can be I think we’d have a lot more constructive ideas and brainstorming and less negativity directed at such an exciting and for me, empowering innovation.

15 Likes