Proposal to redesign the maidsafe site to target non technical and ordinary people

I envy you. You can code, write apps for the network. I can’t do any of those. All I can do is to spread the words and get as many people as possible to adopt when it’s ready. Right now it’s not easy.

Easiest way is to spread the awareness via social media like FB, Twitter, youtube etc. I know it’s against the principle of privacy and freedom, but it’s the best we have right now. It’ll be wise to use our enemy’s strength to bring them down :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

If we keep sliding below 100, 200, 300 top market caps then yeah it might not matter at some point how good maid as a project is imo. I would rather we were at $0.30 per maid and in the top 10 (yes I don’t mind the market collapsing), than at $10 but 300th.

Oh and btw, I know doge is a complete joke coin but in 2013-14 it got closer to mass adoption than probably most of the top current 10, there was an ebay type of thing where you could buy with doge etc

1 Like

Yeah, I take your points I just genuinely get a bit flummoxed why poor old Maidsafe keeps getting lumped into the crypto crowd.

Sure partly out of necessity they aligned with crypto but SAFE’s impact, adoption or success itself was never designed to be measured by a Safecoin dollar value or market cap. We’ve just all got used to being in the crypto world and thinking SAFE should be measured accordingly :smirk:

Whether we miss some benefit by not following the crowd like other crypto projects then yes that’s a very good debate which has merits on either end.

The network itself would very likely succeed and be adopted as long as it can be secured, act without compromise and enable enough farming incentives to keep the thing firing merrily along.

Only the latter is a concern with respect to attracting more awareness and by default more people to support and grow the network. I’m assuming here but I’d argue the immediate benefits provided simply by large data storage facilities/companies smashing the network early on (in a good way) assuming it remains the best fit and cheapest alternative out there, making numbers on the network unlikely to be an issue versus not drawing in the crypto crowd and being worried about that.

Interesting debate either way :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Or how about:

“THE INTERNET IS DEAD!

LONG LIVE THE SAFE . NET!”

‘Click now and watch a new internet rising’

That’ll grab thier attention, right?

Imagine this is all there is on the page. The current network graphic is used for the background.

When people click they go to a video somthing like this: MAID

At the top of the page there is one giant menu button that says: More About The World’s First Autonomous Data Network. Which leads to the current home page.

By now visitors will want to know more.

Edit: this safe site seems to explain the concept in a much simpler and understandable way: https://maidsafes.net

3 Likes

Maybe u have never lived under a dictatorship
i see the potential this project has
and it makes me angry seeing other bullshit outdated nonsecure projects with very little technical information available get all the publicity (all talk and very little work)
while the people in maidsafe are working their ass off

2 Likes

very very very good job
well done
https://maidsafes.net

1 Like

After a couple of days on here, i have to agree. I’m attracted to the project for its basic concepts as im sure a lot of non technical people (like myself) will be. however it appears up until recently, marketing on a wider scale would have perhaps harmed the project. People may have struggled to appreciate the network in its current form, which may have seen them turn their backs on the project. i think patience is the key.

7 Likes

We all see the potential, but it doesn’t mean that the coin NEEDS to be worth a certain amount asap. It feels like you’re worried that MAID is going to miss the current crypto bubble where people are throwing money at anything…

Maidsafe isn’t all about crypto. Maidsafe isn’t concerned with missing the bubble, Maidsafe’s goal isn’t to make speculators money.

6 Likes

And is a separate company located in the Asia region. They are making APPs etc for the SAFE network and are not a part of Maidsafe itself.

I agree very strongly with this. It would be great if there were one place where only current, relevant information is curated, a “start here now” idea. Also, a cookbook of atomic examples would be great. Getting a set of dependencies set up as a first step can be very demotivating if you want to understand something specific. Looking forward to what 2018 brings, congratulations again to MaidSafe for the accelerating pace of achievement.

Cheers

Peter

3 Likes

What if it isn’t a bubble, or the bubble has already burst when btc fell from $20k to $12k and ICOs will become the standard of all/most startups and maidsafe goes below 1000th top market cap?

Here is an “out-of the box” idea.

Create a “user” section on the official maidsafe website. Each user would have their own location.
That way any forum user could describe maidsafe any way they wanted to and provide any marketing videos, graphics, promotions that they wanted to. Of course all content would have to be previously approved by maidsafe.
If user content was popular and had a lot of views, it could be upgraded and/or integrated into the main website. That way there would be competing ideas and everyone would have a say.
Or, have the user locations be separate from the actual maidsafe website, at first. Then users can upload whatever they want without maidsafe approval. Then the best content on this website can be upgraded to the actual website. Users whose content was used could be compensated appropriately.

1 Like

I´m not a nerd, so maybe I miss the point, but from the point of view an intelectually curious person, the way it is designed is exactly the opposite to and “easy, or attractive way” to call in mass adoption for this amazing project:frowning:

Valid suggestion as I discovered MAIDSafe after first looking at Storj, Filecoin, etc…

Having said that Substratum is a bit diffuse as well, 4 scrolls later…

My 2 cents

Keep it simple, Top line is your “buy line”, no more than 4 relevant selections

Why? Any number of arguments, Safe Distributed No Fiat Zone
Buy- Download the Browser/wallet and get going… talk upside
Community and Change the world for the better
About? A deeper dive lead with tech , close with Value Prop 4 times
Team Management, Dev, Partners , Whales ,

Splash page for each, sub menus of course for the deep divers

best

R2

1 Like

I am one of the hundreds, if not thousands, of new individuals to enter the cyrptocurrency market within the last few weeks. Most of the coins I have looked into have come from youtube videos. I stumbled across MAIDSafe out of my own research.
There are, and will be, thousands more who have no idea about the technical aspects as the market grows. Some will do financial analysis and understand that certain projects are solid investments but at the moment most people are getting their investment information from random people on youtube who pop up when they search for “cryptocurrency”. Of course this is not the best way to make financial decisions, but at the moment it is the easiest way to learn about the market when you have no other starting point.
I also believe that the market is highly speculative right now and that the majority of valuations come from the amount of publicity received (good or bad) and that getting your name out there will create a huge advantage while the market grows and transforms to rewarding actual working projects with utility.
To sum up my rambling :slightly_smiling_face: , i believe there does need to be more “flashy” less technical visualization and that at the moment marketing is key to gaining market share.

7 Likes

here is the crunchbase link for these guys

https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/substratum-network

Slick willy marketing for sure…, the SUB team is gonna need to giddyup fast, no sure if they have the right stuff or energy in the the tank or both, the nodes look like the weak security link, competition makes a market though and attracts more investors and users, and that is a good thing.

2 Likes

Totally Agree with you mate. I´m in your same situation, and if things here doesn´t get “Simple and Visual”, no people are gonna make it in.:neutral_face:

1 Like

This looks really nice, clean, informative, and friendly as far as I am concerned…
Unless there is not a strategic reason not to include it, a link to the whitepaper might be a nice addition.

However, it does take two clicks to reach from the root maidsafe.net landing page…

1 Like