Project Decorum: DECentralised fORUM (and protocol)

Sounds great! Looking forward to the launch :smile:

How is the concept of clikes necessary for any of this?

Why is the government participating in any of this? Isn’t escape from the attentions of the government a necessary part of SAFE’s appeal?

Why would the average punter turn off his television to join that cloud of wonderfulness?

there could be several discussions , too : side_talk, side_joke, side_poll…

a group of people could have their private discussion too : side_our_private_talk_with_1234_passwd…

Clikes are a method of promoting that costs the giver, a bit like reddit gold. It may or may not do anything more than let people know that someone thought very highly of something, and people can choose how this effects the visibility of posts. It’s not necessary, but could be interesting.

I never mentioned the government.

Yougov is a polling company who might want to put their product (data) in places that people find interesting and useful so they can get more value from their data & get more people looking at it. It could be good for their business, and is just one example.

Governments may also want to do something with it if it’s useful to them & appealing to their electorate / subjects. Nobody can ban specific groups of people from using the Safe network, and this means people can’t ban governments. I can think of some reasons why Safe based products and services could be useful to governments, and this would in no way diminish the value of the network for individuals as anonymous and private.

Are you serious? Imagine (if it doesn’t hurt your brain too much) you were reading an article, and you wanted to look at discussions relating to that specific article, or see other articles that people have noted as related, or see poll results that show how popular certain points of view relating to specific article are. That kind of data can add an interesting dynamic & depth to someone’s experience of reading articles online.

Doing this on Safe would make it impossible for any censorship, which is better than doing it only on the normal internet.

Imagine an article in China about something politically sensitive, but approved by the party to be on the internet, as it gives an approved account of events. Then, people with this Safe based pluggin can see links to alternative views on the same story, and polls from around the world showing what people in different countries think about it, and nobody can stop this (in theory).

These are just examples that hopefully creative people can take further, and if the tools are made available, people could find all kinds of uses for.

Can you think of any examples of how this kind of context based, censorship resistant linking of information to URLs on the internet could be useful or interesting?

Actually I can, and thanks for the passably detailed reply.

But journalism ain’t it.

From your posts, I get the impression you don’t like journalism / the media (sorry if I 've got this wrong). I dislike a lot of journalism & media due to them often being quite biased & not presenting balanced views. I think this kind of media is a key part of the failings of modern democracy.

This kind of tagging without need for permission could potentially help with this.

One example of how: some methods of detecting, tracking & rating bias could be made, and used to tag the the output form various media agencies. With this, readers can see if the publication has a clear agenda / skewed view on a subject while they’re reading it, and can open up the reader to opposing views (if they’re interested of course).

There could be so many uses for this - serious, subversive, and entertaining. I hope it can be done!

How many bitcoin already raised project decorum? I cant find any counter

Total MAID contributed: 2583023
Total BTC contributed: 556.18598419

Lool! I see the website but i didt check it, thanks @digipl

That’s the wrong way of looking at it. Of course bias is present… in all human communications.

I say, if that’s the situation then let’s really make it explicit.

The default bias that is so often present in the mass media comes under the general heading of “cultural marxism.” And it is so very common that it tends to be the background, just the way things are.

They are clever at masking their biases by controlling the parameters of discourse. For example, a talk show on television will have a “debate” between two supposedly opposed viewpoints, but the participants actually agree on unspoken assumptions that are never made clear. The intelligent observer might notice this and just turn the tv off in disgust.

some info about future steps of this project?

This will enable a no compromise version of 4chan.

“He is aiming to use this investment to further develop the application, aspiring to create a hybrid of the best features of existing major applications, such Facebook, Reddit and Twitter.”

Now I know why some call him the new Mark Zuckerberg!

And you know what, they even look like brothers! Harmen being the handsome one, that is. :slight_smile:

If there ever has been an official endorsement by the MaidSafe team, this is most certainly it.

Much congrats and support @Seneca ! :slight_smile:

I don’t want to be the party pooper but why would you sign up for a social network on a network that exists predominately for privacy and security? Help me understand who the target demographic is. Also, wouldn’t this be a way to use the network against the users? By having something to track packets back to a real identity?

It’s not just a social network. The protocol can be used for a forum like this as well. And for posting a reply under a blog and stuff like that.

The problem with existing social applications is that you have next to no control over who sees what, not that some people can see your personal information.

I don’t see any conflict between the privacy afforded by SAFEnetwork and social applications.

The target demographic is everyone, because even those who are not yet unhappy with the current internet are potential SAFE users once the current internet encroaches on their lives on ways they do not want.

Encroachment happens not just because companies want to exploit data, but because all centralisation and processing of mass data sets exposes that data to risk - leaks, theft, abuse etc - so I’m not just talking about people who are unhappy that facebook targets them with ads, or tracks them across the web. I include people who are shocked that a bank was hacked, that customer details on millions are exposed by their Telecom provider, that their government passed their health records to google without their knowledge, that spies have been collecting everyone’s web browsing and email activity (world wide) for over a decade etc etc

Avoiding all that is not incompatible with using a social network, or any other networked application.

This encroachment is continuous, and therefore creates ever more potential SAFE users, because the business model of the current internet is fundamentally dependent on exploiting the personal information of its users. I think it will continue to encroach more and more because that is how companies make money from it, and that is why I say everyone is a potential SAFE user, but not everyone at a particular point in time.

So the target demographic is something that will be narrow to start, then rapidly expanding, then expanding more slowly. A fairly typical new to mass market profile.

@happybeing does a pretty good coverage.

The point of privacy, security and freedom is not so that we can all be completely cut off from each other. It’s so we can choose our connections, choose whom to trust with our personal details, choose who to share our confidences with, own our data to a larger degree.

With current social media, facebook, google, yahoo, twitter, etc., own your data once it’s been posted. They can censor you (the “freedom” part). You will still be free to sign up for services to track you as thoroughly as you choose to be tracked, to dissect your connections, etc., somewhat like these current “services” do. The difference is that while they might be able to see that you are connected to me in some way, if I’m sharing my identity with you, that’s all. They won’t then have access to everything about me unless I choose to use their service, too.

Fascinating how reddit is manipulated.

I can’t wait to see how the web-of-trust will play out and what social media and journalism might look like in a few years.