Profiling node performance

I have a very old Intel Q6600 and I have succeeded in running a local network of about 50 nodes on it. Besides removal of check for peers on same LAN like you have done, I have modified handle_candidate_identify() method of routing/states/node.rs module:

let (difficulty, target_size) = if self.crust_service.is_peer_hard_coded(&peer_id) ||
                                           // A way to disable resource proof in local tests but not in global network
                                           self.crust_service.has_peers_on_lan() ||
                                           self.peer_mgr.get_joining_node(&peer_id).is_some() {
            (0, 1)
        } else {
            (RESOURCE_PROOF_DIFFICULTY,
             RESOURCE_PROOF_TARGET_SIZE / (self.peer_mgr.routing_table().our_section().len() + 1))

This is my way to implement the 0 bps proof of resource. The advantage is that the same binary can be used for both local network (with 0 bps PoR) and global TEST network (with PoR as programmed by Maidsafe).

I also do not start the vaults all at once. I start the first one with RUST_LOG=info ./target/debug/safe_vaut -f and then I launch a group of 10 vaults with a 6 seconds delays between each vault with the following script:

for i in {1..10} 
do
	echo "Launching vault $i"
	./target/debug/safe_vault&
	sleep 6
done

I launch it 5 times, but each time I wait for the routing table size to reach the next multiple of ten before launching the next group. It can take several minutes before this and the CPU can be high.

Lastly, I have modified vault_with_config() method of safe_vault/vault.rs module:

chunk_store_root.push(CHUNK_STORE_DIR);

// To allow several vaults on same station
        use rand::{self, Rng};
        use rustc_serialize::hex::ToHex;
        chunk_store_root.push(rand::thread_rng().gen_iter().take(8).collect::<Vec<u8>>().to_hex());

The aim is that the vaults on a same station do not share the same chunk store directory, because I am afraid that there is a lock contention on the chunk file created by vaults handling the same chunk. It doesn’t explain why your network doesn’t start up but I wonder if it could explain the observed slowdown during uploads and its variability.

In conclusion, I would say that Maidsafe made it very difficult to run a local test (I mean a real one not a mock one) with following obstacles to overcome:

• check that vaults are not on same LAN
  • sharing of a common chunk store directory
  • costly Proof of Resource

Ideally, they could add a simple -l flag in safe_vault program to allow such a use case. I would thank them a lot if they implement it.

10 Likes