Preparing a coordinated marketing campaign

When I discuss the Safenetwork with folks, I now start with “you only need 1 user name and password for all your accounts on the Safenetwork”. For me, this has been the easiest to get people interested.

For a strategic marking campaign there really should be professionals brought in or a consulting firm hired.

That said, my belief is this project does need multiple strategies to evolve in a timely manner. Currently the most important part, besides getting beta/launch, is getting developers on board and developing apps. This should have a different approach vs. mass marketing.

5 Likes

They are fabulous, they work fabulous, and they became the go-to architecture in a not so cool space. Which brings up a good (marketing) point. It’s cool to own a Dyson, because Dyson made it cool.

2 Likes

However Dysons advertising is all about the “dual cyclone” vacuum. It’s not really saying never mind how this works, it’s actually focused on how it works (caveat below). Well in UK adverts.

So it says how it works, but in a way that is something we want, a bit like jojoba shampoo, who again if you remember did all the “now here’s the science bit” in their ads :wink:

I am not disagreeing, I am just pointing out this is not as simple a story as we are making it regarding Dyson etc. there is way more to it. However the message is always simple, “You need X, we have X, nobody else has X, so buy ours and you must buy it now otherwise your life is less fulfilled”. Oh BTW you probably could not tell me what X is (dual cyclone, jojoba etc.), but X is front and centre of our marketing.

I think we have such a message actually, it’s getting the it out that message is missing the vital spark.

12 Likes

I believe these are early Dyson ads

1 Like

Nor am I

And Im pointing out that it needs to be, and it can be, and for as long as you believe it’s “not as simple a story” you wont start thinking any different. This is my point about stepping back.

What is that? The wording?

David, ask someone you trust, - an adult reasonably intelligent- who doesnt know about safe, to describe it to you - using only 5 words. Not a sentence of 5 words, they can use 5 different words. Give them as much information as you want but give them only 10 minutes to read it. Dont tailor anything for them, that would be cheating :wink:

When the time comes all that needs to be done is convince facebook.com (or whatever takes their place during the next several months) to offer their service on safe://facebook.com and give their users an easy way and incentive to make the transition. Instantly, you will have almost 2 billion new individual users of Safe Network. From there other apps, including competing social networks will spring up. Granted, it is not the most appealing way to introduce new users to the wonders of Safe (Facebook being centralized and all) but it might be an essential tradeoff to get the network launched successfully.

1 Like

Loves your example.
I was wondering same when people call for New five start Marketing/Technical/design guy from existing Bitcoin for safenetwork.
Just two example comes to my mind. Revival of Apple when original Guy Mr Steve Jobs came back and downfall of Yahoo when Marissa Mayer took over.

I imagine Facebook will be completely against the Safe network, it would basically cut off their ability to mine data on their users. Facebook wants to know everything about its users so that it can then sell that data on to individuals/companies/government organisations, however Maidsafe would make users anonymous.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Facebook/Google etc. actually lobbied the Government against the network.

1 Like

I agree with the opinion that for now getting developers excited about the project is most important. Apps on the network will be the main drive behind adoption.

Other than that I think on release the network can gain some traction as an alternative to Dropbox, Box and similar services. Datastorage, pay for what you store once, retrieve it whenever, forever. You can add the whole ‘more secure, autonomous, …’ to it but most people won’t care.

I tried to get people to switch from whatsapp to signal for a long time and even among fellow developers and people aware of the issues concerning privacy this is very difficult. They just do not want to have to use 2 apps for messaging and they feel like it will take too much energy to convince their non-techy friends and family to make the switch. They use it for a bit and then forget about it. Same will happen if you promote Safe as a way to send secure emails and stuff.

1 Like

What do people want out of facebook? To be bombarded by adds? Or connect to other people, in a secure and spam free environment? Being an internet marketer facebook is a tough place to sell stuff. People dont use it for shopping. A safebook would be the biggest draw to safe.net, true. Use an alternative to FB to promote safe.net. People will come.

3 Likes

There’s a TED talk called the next 5000 days of the web. It’s already 10 years old and some of the stuff has come into already fruition, but one of the things he’s talking about is how the web may become more like one big machine instead of lots of individual websites.

I think SAFE can be useful for the things described in this talk that are still missing, except that perhaps SAFE can give us personalization without us giving up all privacy.

Personalization is great, it can make the user experience of all kinds of things much better, but perfect personalization requires complete transparency. Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Apple, they all want to make personalized AI assistants in the upcoming years, that can help you with everything, and they want you to feed all your data into it, so that it would know more about yourself than you yourself know. With SAFE, such software could potentially be created where you would be in control of the data yourself and wouldn’t have to tell Google or Facebook about every single action you do at every single second of the day.

SAFE, with its one big database, is also better suited for linking data, as described in the talk, than the current web.

4 Likes

It will be hard to ignore 2 billion users. Could jumpstart Safe like nothing else. If data theft is still a big thing in the news at the time of launch, the big names; Dropbox, Instagram, Twitter, et al will be running to Safe Network anyway. Might as well cultivate them.

1 Like

I don’t think it will be a “market push” out of bad systems so much as a “market pull” of people wanting to use the new things made possible by safe.

That’s a huge part that doesn’t get discussed on the forums that often, and is why I like the “Most Wanted Apps” thread on here

1 Like

This might be the outcome if we had done the analysis and decided this was the best approach, given our targets and goals. My point is not to say you’ve reached the wrong conclusion, but that we can’t know if you have or not, because we have not decided upon our goals for each group, or even who the groups are yet. I only mentioned some obvious ones.

My suggestion that we target developers first is because we are not ready to market to other groups yet, because we don’t have anything to offer them. Your one message fits all approach suits a vacuum cleaner, because while there are different demographics, it is a simple product with only one or two important things to get across, which apply fairly well to everyone: it cleans floors really well, looks good, and is expensive (so a bit exclusive). BTW I have a Dyson and will never buy another brand of vacuum cleaner.

But SAFEnetwork is not a vacuum cleaner. There will be one or two core messages around which different selling points and different markets can be arranged, but there is no doubt something different to be said to each of the groups I mentioned, and potentially others I have not thought about.

Saying to developers that SAFEnetwork delivers scalable applications at no extra cost, and never before seen options to individual developers, means nothing to users but is a potentially powerful light bulb lighting insight for developers. (Just an example to illustrate this point though, unless we decide that’s really something to run with). Similarly we are not going to convey to developers the uniqueness of this opportunity with a message designed to show users that they will have the power of a worldwide computer network that never fails, available from their phone or any Internet connected device (again, just an example of a user focused message).

But my point is that we won’t know the best approach until we decide who we are targeting and what we want from them. Maybe that is everyone, but I don’t think so because we don’t have anything to offer most people yet, except developers. We can be getting ready for the other groups, but I think we need to decide that’s better than targeting developers right now before we go ahead with it.

To say doing analysis and designing a strategy before embarking on the design and implementation is disastrous, or that it results in a confusing message, is a misunderstanding of what I’m suggesting. It’s just a good idea to work out what you want to achieve before setting about doing it, even though it is less fun to think first.

@BIGbtc, it looks like you’ve concluded that a single coherent message for everyone is the ideal. It might well be, though I doubt it, but before adopting that approach somebody needs to be able to explain how that serves the project by getting farmers, developers, users, companies, and any others we want to take notice, to pay attention and respond in the ways we want. Or alternatively why we shoukd ignore x, y and z groups and focus just on p & q.

Otherwise, it won’t be a disaster to just go ahead with that approach, but it could be a waste of effort. There is no way this project is headed for disaster once the technology is up and running. I think you just like to use scarey words rather than make a proper case for your chosen approach. I challenge you to try making a case instead of just giving an opinion backed by emotional phrasing.

5 Likes

Definitely agree that gaining traction via the B2B route will be a lot easier off the get go. In selling to other businesses you have less decision makers to convince to generate deep market penetration. On top of that you also have a more educated audience that is more aware of their need for the security benefits.

That isn’t to say that B2C marketing should be ignored, only that it might make sense to put less upfront weight behind marketing to consumers, and to do so with a different primary message (e.g., ability to supplement income with farming rather than ability to have absolute privacy). At the end of the day, could be worthwhile to segmrnt relevant customer/consumer targets and run some market testing to find out what messages resonate best with each segment.

1 Like

Im confused. What are we working on? and for whom?

Yes, We start the dialogue with a single coherent message and let in evolve from there.

oh - cool, ya just matched my scary words with your not-so-scary claims that are backed by nothing but emotional phrasing . :wink:

My case has been made by NVO and every other ICO raising millions of dollars with some hype and Maidsafe struggles to stay relevant, struggles to find funding, has a coin that cannot find footing.

I challenge you to tell me why that is.

So your approach is treating the marketing of this network as if it is an ICO, because…? Presumably you are only interested in targeting investors and pumping the price. There’s no other reason I can see, whereas I’m talking about marketing the network to those who will utilise it, everyone in fact, except investors.

That I take it is the reason for our different approach and why you keep using NVO as an example when it is irrelevant IMO, being a) an ICO not marketing a product, and b) when it is a product, something very different and much more like a Dyson vacuum cleaner which was your other example.

2 Likes

So you dont read all my post and the coherent message part. I dont give a flyin fart about investors. The methods used by others to raise awareness and funding is less complicated than you want to make it. Im making a claim that the current message is convoluted, complicated. And your ideas make it worse. You will need to preface every one of your messages with “If you are a developer, DONT READ THIS” or “If you are a consumer DONT READ THIS”
That is a disaster.

As usual you have opinion without reason, and put up straw man so you can shoot it down. It’s you who don’t read, or are ignoring my argument. I’m suggesting we work out what the approach should be first, and have suggested what I think the conclusion will be.

I care a lot about investors, but at this point very little about attracting new investment because that’s not what we need. Speculators want to pump and dump, investors want the network to be marketed to those who will utilise it and give it value. From which investors will profit very well. Right now we can attract developers, hence my suggestion we look at marketing to them. When we have things to offer other groups, we can market to them, whether with a one size fits all message, or messages tailored for maximum impact.

But my point all along here is not to say we should do x, but that we should decide what we want to achieve, and how best to do it, first. You have not made a case for anything but pumping the coin, which is fine if that’s your aim, but I’m not interested in that.

2 Likes

You cant follow my thinking so stop trying. You’re stuck, Im not.

Have a good day.