Preparing a coordinated marketing campaign

The maidsafe foundation is the overall umbrella, so it makes sense to discuss general maidsafe stuff (projects, partner companies, tokens, etc) there. If it gets too noisy and the sub brands take a life of their own, then they will forge their own spaces.

My concern is not about it being tough in the future. My fear is that it will be impossible, as the project will have failed to pitch itself long before then and interest will have waned - we have already slipped off the radar to many. In business, you have to make the most of what you have now, then figure out how to restructure that success in the future. We are risking success for the sake of drawing boundary lines in the sand.

Finally, reddit is an open forum. You don’t get to dictate what goes where, unless you heavily moderate it (read: remove posts). Are maidsafe really prepared to do that and cope with the accusations of censorship and control, when their product is a distributed, autonomous, data network?

I understand the logic, but I cannot comprehend the motivation. It feels like we are actively nuterring efforts to reach the wider community.

1 Like

100% 100% 100% 100%

I go through this all the time in Asia, and recently on my new website, and just all the time (the need to say “MaidSafe’s SAFE Network” just on a basic human level so anyone can actually know what you’re talking about).

People need to understand that the “community” driven and developed and maintained SAFE network is a long term goal, that can maybe be achieved at least a YEAR AFTER launch. There’s lots of things that need to happen for that dream to become even slightly real.

Until then, diluting is such a random and bad idea.

I promised I wouldn’t rant anymore but am glad someone understands it, from a marketing / initial brand growth perspective.

1 Like

This guy gets it.

This guy understands business.

If you don’t have a brand, you don’t have anything. And why would you kill your own brand.

It won’t be hard to make “SAFE network” take hold, but WE HAVE TO REACH THAT POINT first. With poor / diluted marketing, we might have lots of trouble ever getting there…

Full speed ahead, try our best to succeed in the big harsh marketplace, and then once a huge community is there they will demand it to be called “SAFE” instead so it can be theirs (but that’s like 3-5 years away so don’t get carried away right now)

Nothing will make that hard in the future.

Gotta actually get somewhere first tho.

2 Likes

Will I love you man but you’re coming off as a bit condescending, as if Rob and I can’t grasp where you’re coming from. We just disagree on the long term ramifications or that there could be any ramifications at all apparently. Either way people are going to likely continue posting to r/safenetwork and if you want to stress yourself out and spread yourself more thinly then double post on the r/Maidsafe but don’t forget to be a pal and throw in a link to r/safenetwork while you’re at it. All due respect man but don’t forget we’re all here wanting the same thing we may just disagree slightly on how to get there.

1 Like

It’s just frustration over all these months going to reddit and seeing good posts with great potential dying in the random depths of r/safenetwork

I’m not mad at you or @neo personally but I’ll get this way against anyone who stands for this idea of dilution because it hinders this project that I care about

It’s so clear to me, and I’ve been frustrated about it for too long. Nothing personal. Just need this project to succeed

2 Likes

2017/12/29 14:40 GMT
r/safenetwork: 616 readers, 6 currently online
r/maidsafe: 4,417 readers, 1,632 currently online

mho: Conversion probably not going to happen. Too far gone already . . . unless someone can come up with a workable bounty program. Money (maidsafecoin) talks.

p.s. I would say the window of conversion possibility is rapidly closing, on an exponential scale.

2 Likes

Cant we just change the name of the r/maidsafe to incorporate safe network in the title.???

1 Like

Don’t think you can do that. Maybe creating a “SAFE” or “safenet” subreddit under r/maidsafe would suffice?

1 Like

Hmmm - we’re talking only about the factor of 8 or so on size

Converting later would be exponentially harder :wink: so if we want to make safenetwork the place to go we should do it rather sooner than later

3 Likes

Amen, brother. It’s either now or never. But there has to be incentive to make the switch.

1 Like

I feel the same. Either way we need “consensus” on this issue in the new year.

Another thing to keep in mind: At some point after launch the MaidSafe team will be in competition with other developers for Safenetwork applications. If r/MaidSafe gets out of control it could be seen as unfair competition and stunt the growth of independent Safenet developers.

3 Likes

Online means actual people viewing or interacting with posts on the subreddit. Subscribers is just the number of people who clicked subscribe once.

I don’t care how many people have subscribed if they hardly ever use reddit. Online seems like the actionable metric, with subscribers being a vanity metric.

1,632 vs 6? No brainer.

2 Likes

Worry about dealing with success when we are successful. No need to worry about be swamped by lots of users- it is a hugely enviable problem to have.

2 Likes

Hmm okay - that is a real argument - but online doesn’t mean online in the safenetwork reddit - so online only means ‘active redditer and clicked subscribe at some point’

2 Likes

1500-4000 active users of r/maidsafe. If you really want to ensure conversion, offer each r/maidsafe subscriber one maidsafecoin if he posts exclusively on r/safenetwork for the next month. Better yet, give each new, active subscriber to r/safenetwork one maidsafecoin, regardless of where he/she comes from. That’s only a few thousand dollars invested. Could easily come from the marketing budget. The mechanics/logistics of such a bounty might take a little effort though.

One of the larger conversations we have with clients when it comes to Reddit, is that just because a specific subreddit has a lot of subscribers, doesn’t mean it is really that active.

It is better to have your content submitted to a subreddit that has only 10,000 subscribers, but 5,000 active, than a large subreddit with 100,000+ subscriber but only a few hundred actually participating.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/NoStupidQuestions/comments/6f9rjz/how_does_the_subscribers_online_in_reddit_work/

It’s anybody who is currently in the subreddit, regardless of being subscribed or not, and includes users who don’t have an account.

3 Likes

Tbh, I think it goes beyond reddit. How we communicate the brand in general is the important thing.

2 Likes

That is so true, but reddit is a good place to start.

@dewild do you have a YouTube channel??