Preparing a coordinated marketing campaign

I wouldn’t close the forum but I guess more of us need to be there on other channels and promoting the safe network =D

3 Likes

I’d keep an archive of the forum or port the content to somewhere more public and obvious, but if you give people the option to stick within their comfort zone and habit then they usually do. I do love this forum and community, but as crypto has grown it has become more and more of a problem imo.

2 Likes

You’re right but without the forum I wouldn’t know roughly how the topics where called for which I look if someone asks me something :thinking:

So it would need to be pretty easy to find all this information in the forum again

1 Like

100% agree with that.

1 Like

Deal done.

You want to start the official obituary thread ?
Lol I can already feel the heat

1 Like

Yo! Let’s move to reddit xD

I don’t care on which platform we discuss

1 Like

Ha, well if others agree i’ll happily get the ball rolling and make this my last post here…I just hope I don’t end up listening to my own echo all day :wink: (much as i love the sound of my own voice) but is it r/maidsafe, r/safenetwork or r/MAID? I’m inclined to r/MAID for clarity… if this is a pure marketing decision?

It’s an interesting idea, but why? Do you really think killing the forum will cause all those who hang out here because it is what it is, to take this to the other places? I don’t expect that would be the result, so I think you need to justify that, or what you think the actual effect will be.

Also, why kill off something that is very successful, and which shows how different the SAFE network and it’s community are from every other project?

An alternative is to find other ways to build community in the places you think would help, and I think that’s part of what Sarah, Dug and Nick will be working on right now, well after Xmas :slight_smile:. So I’m interested to hear their aims and plans to achieve them. And instead off killing off some of the strongest parts of this project, I suggest we can capitalise on them in ways we have not so far.

Closing the forum in the hope that the community will then go off elsewhere and effectively spread the word is I suggest: 1) an act of undeniable self harm which you hope will be more than compensated for by 2) an unproven and IMO unlikely assumption.

It seems also to pander to the speculative element here, when the project and community is much much more than that, and the forum is the place where we get to learn about that, and to explore what that can be etc. So my initial thought is that it would be damaging to the project even if it succeeds in reaching a wider audience.

I don’t see this as @jabba’s motivation. I know he has a (legitimate) focus on investment returns, but also that like most of us he believes in the project’s benefits to the E (everyone) in SAFE. It just seems like this proposal risks us getting caught up in the price speculation as it is heating up at the moment. I’m excited too, and I don’t want us to shoot ourselves in the foot by losing sight of the bigger picture or the long term goals that are what keeps most of us interested in working to make this project a success.

15 Likes

That’s the best marketing move ever we could do short term as a community.
It’s genius.

Porting a whole existing community on reddit has never been done before. I can see how it would build momentum.

1 Like

Does a discourse reddit bridge exist? Oo

Technically we’d only need a bot that cross posts everything on the reddit side and back - don’t we…?

Oh hmhmm the structure is a little bit different I guess…
Not that easy to identify answers and make the correct relations

EDIT:
Ps: seems like there could made a connection between slack and reddit

At least for letting people know what’s going on on reddit and let people know they could help out there

Ps: and since slack is connected to telegram and matrix it would reach pretty many people in a timely manner

2 Likes

If it’s r/MAID it’s not about this project, but promoting a temporary token, presumably to pump the price.

By all means go off and do that if that’s where you want to focus, but if your focus is on the SAFEnetwork I don’t see how that is a reason for closing the forum for the reasons I’ve explained.

Small point: nobody realistically expects MaidSafe to close this forum do they? So I assume you’d need to have a vote from a large majority here of Trust level X members.

5 Likes

Juts spit-balling with my marketing hat on. Content is precious. I was a content whore for quite a while and I see the stuff in this community as a gold mine from a marketing perspective. It is all still underground though and it needs to be exposed to realise its true value.

Can’t speak for anyone else but basically yes. If this forum was locked then I would log in to r/MAID every day as I do here. I want to talk about SAFE and learn fro the folks here. I’d do the same wherever the conversations were happening.

I’m not sure it shows anyone anything because no one sees it. It’s an echo chamber really where we all get on and mostly agree. It’s a lovely place to come, but if I were responsible for marketing maidsafe I would see it as a huge negative to have a clique forum out of the mainstream dialogue and not under the noses of people who need to see it.

Well yes, it is certainly an unproven assumption, but I don’t think it makes it any less valuable. I’m curious to hear what you think would happen if it were closed. Are you suggesting you think it is more likely the community simply dies and no one posts anywhere? That seems less liekly to me than another piece of software fills the gap. There is nothing special about discourse, it is the people who make this forum, people can move with very little effort or change to their daily habits.

Well, this is marketing thread, so I’m focused on marketing rather than speculation as such. The point is to get the word out. It has huge value to do that. Speculation is important though and I disagree with any snobbishness about it. If MAID were $10 right now I’d happily chuck huge money at side projects and I’m sure there are many other holders here who would do the same. I think it’s naive to pretend that money and speculation don’t matter, particularly at this stage and in this environment. How do you think it could damage the project exactly?

I’m afraid that’s what we’ve been doing by burying our head in the sand… shooting ourselves in the foot by losing sight of the bigger picture. I guess it’s just a matter of personal perspective.

I’m interested in this project and the people on this forum. I don’t give a hoot about discourse.

3 Likes

Well, If I were in Sarah or Doug’s position then that’s what I’d be pitching. It would probably make their lives a lot easier. Thankfully not my call or decision though. :wink:

3 Likes

Replication bot? Both ways? Create zoki_{somesuitablesuffix} for each user, crawl and replicate posts on a subreddit. The reverse would be tricky and probably not a good idea. But replication would at leaset create a viewing area of “live chat”

Also… when the time comes, can we all fly over to Geneva and sign up as clients? :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Just to be very clear here. I am sensibly diversified and have been for a long time. I’d love to see MAID boom but I’m not that frustrated by the lack of action because there is plenty elsewhere (money is not top of my list of worries/concerns after this crazy crypto boom :slight_smile: ). This proposal has nothing to do with speculative frustration or greed. I am being cold and cynical with my marketing hat on. This project would benefit massively from exposure and a big price rise. Money and interest walk hand in hand. I’ve seen it over and over in other projects.

Hmm maybe it would be enough to post reddit topics in the forum to trigger responses :thinking:

I’m not so confident with the idea of deleting this forum. I agree that the community on Reddit is important and should be improved, but on the other hand it is a different context where you can promote this project. I’ll try to explain 2 reasons:

• If you want to improve an idea you don’t need to delete the other one.

I think this forum is strong for the type of communication that has established between members over the time.
This type of communication is different from the one that Reddit’s users can have as people interact differently. That’s why I think that one communication platform can complete the other one.

• Realise that every project has a Reddit page where to promote themselves but nobody has an external forum so successful and deeply informed as Safe Network.
My opinion is to try to improve the other ways to communicate in order to reach different type of users: Reddit, Twitter…
But let’s keep our forum as a treasure!

7 Likes

You can also see, keeping this forum combined with enough visibility on other places, as a good practice for when the forum will be moved to the Safe Network. Eating you own dog food…

6 Likes

Moving a touch away from the topic briefly I’m interested in seeing your thought process on this one Jabba. I see some interesting points you’ve raised through this thread, ones that are important and need to be discussed even though I wrongly or rightly disagree with some of them.

I’m coming from a similar position as you where the returns on this project will be nice but maybe that specific outcome doesn’t weigh as heavily on me as it otherwise would thanks to the boom of the last few years.

The nature of this project (specifically the security needs it will require and the very services it will eventually provide) don’t benefit greatly in the short term by a bunch of cash being thrown at it. (Ducking the tomatoes coming my way :wink: )

It’s an interesting take making the comparison (as some do) to other crypto projects and how their trail should be followed in garnering awareness. This is I guess where I seperate from most others and realise SAFE may pop up on coin market cap and be aligned with the crypto crowd but the second the network is live it begins detaching itself from crypto and becomes its own beast.

I certainly see your point being true if comparing another block chain project against another but it’s not the case with SAFE now is it. The only thing that really matters is bringing this thing to life, securing it and letting the world log on.

Interest before then is great but honestly how many speculators are going to log onto the network and run a node? Farmers will for sure but most crypto speculators/investors will just look at their balance in their altfolio and smile :grinning:

As much as it would be cool to have people piling into the project I would argue just now isn’t the time for that just yet. The real value is this network being operational, whether the crypto crowd wants to throw money at it before the latter stages meh well its up to them really, more harm than good maybe for now comes from that? Although mate I see the opposite argument holding some ground as well I’m not blind in that respect.

SAFE is very much like your own kids, you watch it, carefully help it navigate through its early stages, provide it the care and assistance you can, give it the tools it needs to survive and when it decides its ready it will go out and face the big bad world. I guess that’s the distinction here most of us battle with, money is great but change is well a whole lot better :slight_smile: :sunny:

3 Likes

I think you’ve misrepresented what I said in several places, but I’ll trust that people will have read what I actually said rather than how you have answered different points and just respond to the specific questions you asked of me.

By definition, killing this forum kills this community. Obviously I’m not saying that the result of that will be that “no-one posts anywhere” and I think it’s pretty clear that what I am saying is that, not everyone will go from here and start posting on Reddit or necessarily some else. You and I probably would (I do already, including frequently on Reddit, and both my Twitter accounts - chatting to influencers regularly). But many will not, there’s a bell curve here, and I’m suggesting that killing the forum will, overall, do more damage than good, and that those who want to post elsewhere probably already do.

That’s not to say we can’t build community or influence on other platforms - I’m keen to help do that and to work with MaidSafe on this, and I think this forum is something that can help that rather than hinders it, but I’m interested to hear any arguments against that as always.

Many ways, I’m a bit surprised you want me to spell this out. I’ve answered by implication already anyway, so I’m just going to leave your question here because it doesn’t seem serious to me and it’s late. Spit balling is fine, but wasting people’s time, which this question seems to be, isn’t.

I’ve said what I wanted to and you’ve really not attempted to justify your expectations.

1 Like